Wunala Dreaming - Boeing 747-438 Qantas in 1/144

This started life as the Revel Iron Maiden Book of Souls Boeing 747-400 with GE Engines.

I replaced the power plant with Braz resin RB211 Rollers and used some Russian (cant remember the make) decals along with Authentic Airliners Revell cockpit glazing decal,

I did not bother tarting around with the first class fuselage area nose correction on this kit but have done so on another 1/144 747-400 build which I am still working on which shall be wearing BA's Chatham livery (G-CIVI)

A great fun kit, but the decals were a challenge as they all had a white solid lower stencil decal which was not printed in register to the colour decal that overlays it.

Thanks for looking in, this was a nice change from my norm 1/200 civil stuff.

DSCF8640

DSCF8645

DSCF8650

DSCF8651

DSCF8653

DSCF8655

DSCF8657

DSCF8658

DSCF8663

DSCF8664

• Like 40
  • Thanks 3

Hi John,

A colourful one for your collection! 

Beautifully done as usual, if you hadn't mentioned about the mis matched white underlays I wouldn't have noticed. It's amazing the difference just moving the cockpit decal down a little makes to the look of the nose, I think Revell have it a fraction too high.

I like your fans, which colours did you use? Do you paint metallic then run a dark wash around the blades or paint dark then drybrush to highlight the blades?

Looking forward to your BA Chatham -400.

Cheers,

Ian

Very impressive!

I think the decals must have been by PAS Models. The scheme is in their catalogue and they have form for printing white underlays which don't match the actual decals. That said, I agree with Ian that the issues aren't noticeable on the finished model.  The BraZ engines look great.

Well done and thanks for sharing.

Dave G

• Like 1

Nicely done John, yes the decal is from PAS. I have the sheet somewhere in the stash. When I taklc mine I hope it turns out as nice.

Which red did you use for the fuselage? I have a small stash of Xtracolour QANTAS red but have been told one of the Humbrol reds is a good match as well for QANTAS.

:thumbsup:

18 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi John,

A colourful one for your collection! 

Beautifully done as usual, if you hadn't mentioned about the mis matched white underlays I wouldn't have noticed. It's amazing the difference just moving the cockpit decal down a little makes to the look of the nose, I think Revell have it a fraction too high.

I like your fans, which colours did you use? Do you paint metallic then run a dark wash around the blades or paint dark then drybrush to highlight the blades?

Looking forward to your BA Chatham -400.

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks for the words Ian

All the metalics are from the Alcad II range. The fans are Stainless Steel where the other areas are Polished Aluminium. The fans were Alcad Matt black dry budded with the stainless steel on top.

The Qantas bird was a test assembly for the BA -436 which has had a lot more work go into it, along with 3D printed leading and trailing edge fully deployed 25 degree lowered flaps.

cheers - John

12 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Nicely done John, yes the decal is from PAS. I have the sheet somewhere in the stash. When I taklc mine I hope it turns out as nice.

Which red did you use for the fuselage? I have a small stash of Xtracolour QANTAS red but have been told one of the Humbrol reds is a good match as well for QANTAS.

:thumbsup:

Hi Ray

Thanks for confirming and reminding me about the decal vendor here. I did some tests on the red but fell in love with the Tamiya small rattle can RED - 2 cans did the trick over a white primer. Below will give you an idea of what the lower decal sheet looks like

WhatsApp Image 2019-05-27 at 00.47.35

WhatsApp Image 2019-05-27 at 00.47.23

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Very impressive!

I think the decals must have been by PAS Models. The scheme is in their catalogue and they have form for printing white underlays which don't match the actual decals. That said, I agree with Ian that the issues aren't noticeable on the finished model.  The BraZ engines look great.

Well done and thanks for sharing.

Dave G

Thanks Dave - I have some of their (PAS) 747-8 Cathay Pacific Cargo decals with a similar white underlay decal set - I will approach that build with extreme caution

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Viking said:

Wow, that is colourful! Looks good 'in flight' showing the 'ol 747 in it's natural element.

Cheers

John

thanks John - my next 747 in 1/144 will have all her toes on show!

• 1 year later...

Brings up some memories, I flew with this aircraft from Singapore to London back in 1996. And I did the same aircraft in 1:200, but had to hand-paint the whole thing as there were no decals available (at least, not that I knew of)

Alex

On 3/8/2021 at 2:08 PM, Brodie said:

Just a quick one. Where did you get the window decals or did you just scavenge them off another kit?

Hi Brodie - I think they (i.e. fuselage windows) are from 26Decals from memory, but I mix and match a lot of my civil decal sets are they do vary in quality. The front end flight deck decal was Authentic Airliners spare from their resin dash-400 kit.

1 hour ago, Alex1978 said:

A real stunner.Beautiful build.

I have the same decals for one of my Revell -400s.

First time I see this in modelform.

Superb

Thanks Alex - I know you and your civil models very well, glad it meets with your approval !

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
On 6/25/2019 at 10:59 PM, Gimme Shelter said:

Thanks for the words Ian

All the metalics are from the Alcad II range. The fans are Stainless Steel where the other areas are Polished Aluminium. The fans were Alcad Matt black dry budded with the stainless steel on top.

The Qantas bird was a test assembly for the BA -436 which has had a lot more work go into it, along with 3D printed leading and trailing edge fully deployed 25 degree lowered flaps.

cheers - John

Are you doing a work in progress for the the BA B747 build?
I can't seem to figure out how to see what different members are building sorry.