Another Trail Blazer! Westland Wallace, with Arctic Decals...

John Masters

For my final entry in this very fine and very fun GB, I will build the famous Westland Wallace of the Houston Everest Expedition.  Wikipedia has a  bit of background here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston–Mount_Everest_flight_expedition

Here is the box top and the sleeve for the decals from Arctic Decals in Finland.  

spacer.png

All the parts seem to be present and accounted for, including the stand, which I will be using.

spacer.png

Mika's decals look very nice, as usual.  High quality goods, these!

spacer.png

And his decals guide is very informative regarding diplomacy...

spacer.png

I'll start in this evening after it cools down a bit.

--John

• Like 12

Lovely addition to this GB John and I do love those new decals... I’m gonna search their website to see what else they do! That sheet alone is tempting to just go out and buy one of these kits! Looking forward to seeing you turn this box of plastic into another little gem. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

I will be watching this with interest as I bought one quite a few years ago. My intention was to convert it from the record breaking PV6 prototype into either a normal service Wallace, or perhaps a Wapiti which the Wallace was based on. Apparently Frog had the same idea but never made the conversion, unlike in the case of the Vimy, which they partly converted.

Edited by PeterB

12 minutes ago, PeterB said:

the Vimy

And where is the Vimy?  Where is Alcock and Brown in the GB?

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Lovely addition to this GB

Thank you thank you!

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Brilliant well done

Again...many thanks...

• Like 1

I begin as I usually do...a bit of clean-up, some thought as to the rigging...

The cowling is ice but it needs a lot of cleaning.  The big lug was removed from the inside.

spacer.png

The motor and cowling look good.  Not exactly impressive in the detail department, but it will suffice.

spacer.png

I have marked where the rigging holes will go...36 in total.  Not all of them are in this picture.  I'll use the .005 monofilament tinted black with permanent marker.

spacer.png

But first, let's take care of the noble and heroic aviators!  

spacer.png

--John

• Like 5

The decal sheet looks brand new!!!!

Brilliant!

JR

The inside...nothing too dramatic.  

spacer.png

Rigging holes drilled...

spacer.png

Prop tinted 'wood'...I will coat it with Tamiya clear yellow and paint the prop boss...

spacer.png

Funny landing gear struts fixed.  Actually, one is fixed, the other is for comparison.

spacer.png

I felt the forward windscreen was far too thick and clumsy, so I made a better one from scrap--in the middle.  I have also masked the observer's canopy.

spacer.png

Since I have taken these pictures I have varnished and finished the prop; closed up the fuselage; made an oil cooler; fitted a forward vent on the top.

I'll photograph those bits tomorrow.

--John

• Like 6

Oil Cooler...

spacer.png

Oil cooler attached as well as the venting thingy on the top.  I will replace this with something that looks more realistic.  I have seen a painting and it had an opening like I made...

spacer.png

Control surfaces attached and some more holes drilled, this time for the control horns.

spacer.png

Prop all done!

spacer.png

I think I will attach the lower wing today and the tail feathers as well.  I'll take care of their respective control horns first.

--John

• Like 4

The larger pieces are primed.

spacer.png

Arctic Decals supplies a very fine set of PVC masks for the kit.  Wheels, windows, and two masked for the upper section.  I have already primed and painted the whole of the plane in Humbrol rattle-can silver.  (I am slowly working my way through my small supply of pre-airbrush rattle cans...)  With the masks on, I will choose a bright but dark blue--Humbrol rattle can Midnight Blue.  This is a gloss colour, but that is alright.  Once all the paints dry and the decals on, I will give the whole thing a satin varnish.  Why blue you ask?  If you follow the research done by our esteemed Moa, his conclusion is that the turtleneck is not black.  Maybe a lighter grey, but maybe not.  I am going with blue.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

--John

• Like 5

With the masks off it looks pretty good.  I am happy with the blue.  It is dark and rich enough to have that Golden Age look about it.

spacer.png

The next stage are the fuselage decals.  Because there is rigging on the outside of the fuselage, these have to be done now.  Arctic Decals are not separate on the sheet, so I have to cut each decal out carefully and with as much precision as I have.  The first set to go on are the trim decals around the fuselage, this includes the gold piping along the sides.  Very sporty!  I was happy to see that Arctic had already spaced the trim decals to fit the model.

spacer.png

The gold piping is in two pieces per side.  I had no trouble at all applying these decals.  They are very thin and adhere beautifully, yet they seem to be quite strong.  Still, I tried to not fool about with them too much!

spacer.png

Arctic has also supplied some lovely detail...

spacer.png

I'll let all of these dry thoroughly, give them a coat of satin varnish, and continue on with the assembly of the top wing, scratch built exhausts, and the windscreen.  Once that is all secure and set I will rig the aircraft and apply the final decals on the upper and lower wings.  

--John

• Like 9

Wow!! blink and you'd almost miss this WIP as it'll be heading into he GB Gallery in no time. 

Great progress John, it's coming up very well and the blue looks great. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

it'll be heading into he GB Gallery in no time. 

Many thanks Dave.  We will see how fast it makes it into the gallery!  Every time I turn around there is something to do before the scheduled other thing I wanted to complete...😁

I am trying to time it so I finish this build with a day or so to spare before the Frontline Asia GB begins.  I want a nice clean bench before I begin my helicopter!

• Like 1

I have attached the upper wing, struts, etc...The easiest way to do this, at least on this kit, is to glue and attach the cabane struts first.  Then place the upper wing as it should be.  Then once that is dry, attache the interplane struts, one by one, fitting each and trimming each to fit (if necessary).  Now, if I were building this as a 10-12 year old kid, I would call it done and add the finale decals.  But no...I am a 50-ish old kid and I will rig it!  😁

spacer.png

spacer.png

Another example of the fine quality of the Arctic Decals...Dunlop Aircraft Tyre...Really superlative work.  Even the font is correct.

spacer.png

Rigging begins...:clap:

--John

• Like 7