Star Base

Working on a quick base for my completed Hellcat. I think this is the place to post this?

Getting the dimensions for the star were a tad tricky. This is my second attempt, I tried a water based paint first, which looked great but the shellac ruined it. This time I am using an oil based blue stain and then shellac on top. I gave it a week to dry.

The white is MRP lacquer, I test everything on the back first. It will take a couple of coats of white to cover the blue, and keeping an even airbrush coat is almost impossible. I plan to shellac on top of the white lacquer.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

Very happy with results!  Tamiya tape worked well on top of wood. I plan to do 2 light coats of shellac over the top, after a few days dry time.

spacer.png

• Like 4

I need help/suggestions folks. I tested the shellac on the back, over a test spot of Mister Paint Lacquer Insignia White, and it looks a lot lighter afterwards, as if the shellac wiped some away.

I am looking for a clear top coat over the Mister Paint Lacquer Insignia White that will be safe. 

• 4 weeks later...

Got 'er done. I had to repaint the star after the shellac wiped some of the white lacquer paint off.

Paints used in order -  blue Minwax water based wipe on stain --> clear shellac ----> MRP Insignia White lacquer -----> Minwax Polycrylic (water based) clear

They all seem to be playing nice together (so far). If any peeling/cracking occurs, I will update.

(the white is a lot whiter irl, the picture is a little yellow shifted)

spacer.png

Edited by Crane
  • Like 3

I think that the base should be distressed to match the plane. Maybe I will make another and sand some areas of the base down. I just can't do it to this one 😟

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Thanks 1