1/48 Nakajima B5N2 Kate "Zuikaku"

Hi everyone.

Another one made a while back. A Nakajima Kate in the markings of a machine from the 601st Naval Flying Group off the Zuikaku in Spring 44. 

The usual Tamiya and Gunze acrylics airbrushed throughout and an oil wash. Post shaded to show some variation in the paintwork and given a light chipping with silver pencil. The huge offset torpedo has also received some weathering effects. Sealed with a satin finish, to impart a bit of sheen and not kill the shading effects.

I was really pleased with the effect around the wing roots.

Built during my torpedo bomber phase ( check out the Avenger posted last week if you haven't already done so).

As ever, comments welcome, make sure I'm on the right track!

48115837858_ca3754b906_b.jpg

48115805716_5afc11e7c7_b.jpg

Restrained with the chipping, could have gone a lot crazier I guess!

48115805676_cae556615c_b.jpg

48115837903_d7cef08904_b.jpg

Tyres maybe needed a bit more work.

48115837598_528b6cf6fa_b.jpg

48115806446_915d38e39c_b.jpg

48115897037_b8d41953b4_b.jpg

48115838368_df9d46f568_b.jpg

Cool offset torpedo!!

Thanks for looking.

Edited by gryphon28
  • Like 34

Thanks Dennis, 

i have to admit to using a generous helping of artistic licence as far as the weathering was concerned. I don’t actually have much in the way of reference material so I just went for it.  I’m glad you like her. She was a fun build, glazing notwithstanding.

Edited by gryphon28

I was going to joke about taking pics of a real plane and passing them off as a model.

But, honestly, that's exactly how good your build turns out, to my eye!

The subtle paint chipping and wear is so convincing.

Any hints about how you do it?

Also, I didn't see the scale mentioned anywhere.  Can you enlighten me?

• Like 1

Sorry for missing the obvious. iPad was in melt down last night and had to do this three times, the text got shorter each time but missing the scale etc is bad form.

She is the 1/48 Hasegawa B5N2. A lovely kit with a great cockpit out of the box. Not the best cockpit glass but I gave the parts a polish and they look better for it.

Im not sure why they offset the torpedo, I wondered whether it would have interfered with the oil cooler had it been straight?

Holzhamer, fair comment re the underside. I will work on that for future builds. I don’t like to revisit finished projects but I appreciate the point. Must get me some references.

Paint chipping was using a silver pencil over Matt paint to grip the “lead”, or whatever the pigment is called. Tedious but adds something IMHO.

Cheers all.

• Like 1

A very nice model and excellent weathering. I'm not in favour of over-weathered IJN models. Heavy wear happened only with some specific planes or situations, like field camo without primer. Generally they were maintained pretty well. Unfortunately, pictures taken after VJ-day influenced perception.

A small comment regarding spinner colour: It's not 100% confirmed but late IJN planes would have the spinner either painted in black green top colour or left in natural metal (silver), usually when replaced. Brown spinners were most likely an Army specific. Many publications, however, show also Navy spinners (erroneously) painted brown.

Offset torpedo for ground clearance.

I like your B5N very much!

Cheers, Michael

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info re the torpedo and  spinner Michael. I will remember the color issue though sadly my Jill, Grace and Gekko all feature brown spinners. I plan to build more IJN stuff so it will come in useful.

I love the Japanese designs, just so different from the Western types. Takes a bit more work though to liven up the paint scheme.

The B6N2 is possibly a nicer kit than the Kate, I'll post those pics probably next weekend. Another one with a fab cockpit and brutish good looks. The B7N is just plain ugly......... 😀

• Like 1