6 hours ago, Andre B said:

That's one of few kits with decals for an aircraft flewn by Chuck Yeager?

Cheers / André

Yes it is. Though i have read the scheme is correct but only for a specific time period. I read that Yeager was barred from South East Asia by some General there. However Yeager's son was in Vietnam. While Yeager was in Korea on Temp. Duty he supposedly had the plane re-painted in SEA camouflage. Reason was so that it wouldn't stick out on a flight-line with the other F-4's, when he snuck in to Vietnam to visit his kid. Now thats just a story i've read, written by another modeler that reviewed and researched this specific kit. But if true would be interesting to do Yeager's plane in SEA Camouflage ? It actually is still on my alternate list of possibilities for this build ?  

Dennis

Not much to report on this, its been sanded and needs to be rescribed but it is close to the painting stage. So it is time i put serious thought towards the markings ? I will post an update when i start painting or at the very least choose a scheme ? 

Dennis

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I'm pleased ro see that I'm not the only one who starts a kit without knowing what colour scheme I'm going to use. :)    Sometimes I start with a choice and then change my mind halfway through! 

Sometimes i do sometimes i play it by how things are going with the build. Ive now got ten options for this☹️ I need to stop looking. 

Ok well I'm pretty sure after much deliberating :shutup: that i will be going with this plane. F-4C 64-0852 of the 122nd TFS of the Louisiana air national guard. 1VMrMjW.png

though I wont be adding the "C**n*ss Militia" tail logo. It seems even the USAF had some issues with that. I have photo's of many aircraft in the squadron before and after that logo was painted over. I have the serial #'s and everything needed for this. I just need to remove some bumps from my model to make it an F-4C. This shares a similar color palette to my Japanese F-4EJ so i can paint them together. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Hello everyone... i was finally able to mount the canopies on both my Phantom builds today. Had some problems with the Future when i dipped them. This canopy wasn't as bad as the 1/48th one. I still had a small issue with it on the windshield. I wound up wet sanding the windshield down. I will re-future it before masking for paint. eO3fRub.jpg

sdjWseq.jpg

Cp5C9WO.jpg

I painted the cowling and rudder white on my Mexican air force P-47 today. While doing that i painted the assorted bits for the two phantoms that needed white. 

KwCjAGt.jpg

Questions, comments, thoughts, or good stories ? 

Dennis

• Like 3

Well i was able to spray the Light grey today as well as the radome black. uGCMYJA.jpg

Have to finish clear coating this, then i can mask off for the Dk. Ghost grey. Since my F-4EJ's base color is Dk. Ghost Grey they will probably be painted in a day or two. Questions, comments, or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 2

Hello everyone so i was doing research on my chosen plane tonight. Came across this thread on ARC.  

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/172092-122tfs-la-ang-f-4c/

It was by the man who had taken the photo's in 1983 at Nellis AFB for Red Flag. The paint was a temporary distemper according to him, they're made with homemade brews for the two colors. So i cant go wrong with my choices as long as they look close enough. I found an port side image here,

https://hiveminer.com/Tags/80s%2Cphantom

(1st photo)

so i can get that side correct as well. I believe if you look closely at the tops of the wings they're banded just like the Fuselage. Look closely and you can see where the darker color wraps around the leading edge in both photo's. I will be spraying this tomorrow along with the base coat for my F-4EJ. Questions, comments, and/or thoughts ? 

Dennis

4 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

a phantom scheme I've never seen before, looking good so far 

Thanks ... Im just really discovering them as well myself, i've found photo's for at least 8-10 aircraft from the unit in both these patterns and SEA pattern. So far this is the only one with vertical striping. There seems to be two other distinct styles ones is wavey the other closer to a random wave/blob pattern. There is one Phantom that uses a Ferris/luftwaffe stylized norm 83 scheme. With a  jagged pattern on the spine and top of the engine housings. That is 704 a confirmed Mig-killer, and the C/O's aircraft according to most descriptions. So far it is the only phantom from this unit i could find any A/m decals for. I keep adding more photo's as i find them, however the only disappointment is the lack of overhead photo's to get a good wing pattern. According to the ARC link the photographer describes the upper wings in a pattern similar to the "Hill" AFB grey scheme. So that wood be the way i would go if i were doing one of the other aircraft. 

Dennis

Evening everybody... Well i finished the camouflage today. I think my colors are pretty good and the pattern is fairly close. But i will leave that up to you. 

MR8wqY1.jpg

Z42YiJJ.jpg

6Z04Hg3.jpg

RVv0oyn.jpg

irLJcyy.jpg

vISjqMT.jpg

Questions, comments, and or your thoughts are always welcome. 

Dennis

• Like 6

Hello everyone... My apologies for any delays on this. I attended a family Memorial on Sunday and became very ill and close to going to hospital while there. Im just taking a few days off to recover and then i will be back at it

Dennis

• Sad 2

Morning everyone... Well i knocked out the Decals on this yesterday. Just getting ready to do some final work to it so i can wrap this one up. 

DMORX6q.jpg

Good thing i had two sets of those stars & bars the first set vaporised once the touched water. 

7taUrW1.jpg

4Kk4p6K.jpg

spwi3Jw.jpg

The stabs are just mocked up they will get glued once the landing gear are mounted. Now I'm probably just going to mount dummy aim-9's and Aim-7's underneath along with the 3 gasbags. I do have a nice photo of one showing a single AGM-65 maverick under the starboard pylon but just need to figure out if the used a rail or standard mounts ? Questions, comments, and/or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, opus999 said:

I know I mentioned it before, but I love that paint scheme! It really looks sharp with the black decals on it.

There are about 6-8 more schemes from the same squadron same year. They were all used at Red flag March 83. I can send you photo's or you can google them. This was the only one in stripes the majority were a blobby wavy pattern, The C/O's jet was in a Ferris/Luftwaffe Norm83 scheme, but all were in these colors. Im compiling a list of aircraft that wore these oddball schemes for future builds and use. The USMC had an F-4N in a three tone pink/coral/red scheme from the same Red flag.

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1