Panhard VBL

Hi everybody,

while fiddling about with the track links of the AT-T artillery tractor I started a parallel project as a relief from frust and slow progress. I chose the Panhard VBL from Tiger Model, a small french reconnaissance vehicle.

VBL-001.jpg

This is a very nicely detailed kit with a good fit of the parts. There are some ejector pin marks you have to take care of, because they are in places that you will probably see. No big problem at all.

I started with the interior of the crew cabin as per instructions. The colors I used are Revell Aquacolor 06 (Anthracite), 09 (Teerschwarz), 65 (bronce green), 46 (NATO-olive) and Gunze H405 olive green. The hoses on both sides of the central panel are drybrushed with Aluminium. That's how far I got:

VBL-002.jpg

VBL-003.jpg

VBL-004.jpg

VBL-005.jpg

VBL-006.jpg

Thanks for looking! Suggestions and critiques are always welcome.

Have a nice day

Nick

• Like 7

@AndyRM101 Hi Andy,

nice to have you on board. Thank you very much! The interior is very detailed, it would be a shame to close all the doors and hatches! I plan to leave at least one of the roof hatches and one door open, don't know yet which.

Have a nice day

Nick

Hi everybody,

started working on the lower half of the vehicle's body. Two big ejector marks are at the rear. They will be visible when you want to leave the back door or one of the roof hatches open, so it's good to fill and sand them. If you don't leave anything open, this won't be necessary.

VBL-009.jpg

VBL-010.jpg

No problem at all. After this I brush painted the areas where it's needed bronce green and Teerschwarz. Here the interior is loosely put inside the lower body to give you an idea how it all will look like. You have to drill out some holes for the back seat, an ammo rack and the strap holder, which is already attached.

VBL-011.jpg

VBL-012.jpg

That's all for now. Thanks for looking! Suggestions and critiques are always wwelcome.

Have a nice day

Nick

• Like 3

Hi all,

had some progress working on the interior of the VBL. The interior of the lower half is completed now. I painted and attached the two seats and the ammo racks and the steering wheel, everything is fixed to the lower half of the body now. Next will be the interior of the upper half.

VBL-013.jpg

VBL-014.jpg

Thanks for looking. Suggestions and critiques are always welcome.

Have a nice day

Nick

Edited by flashlight
  • Like 6

Hi all,

today I worked on the interior of the upper half of the body. There are not so many parts that have to be attached there, so a nice and easy modelling time. Before this again you have to take care of two big ejector marks, that might be visible.

VBL-015.jpg

VBL-016.jpg

Then I sprayed the interior color, did some detail painting, attached two decals - interior is complete!

VBL-017.jpg

VBL-018.jpg

Seems to be a rather cramped workplace...

VBL-020.jpg

VBL-022.jpg

VBL-023.jpg

Have a nice day

Nick

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

not too much modelling time these days. I just managed to paint the inner frames of the front windows, to mask and attach them, and doing a black and brown wash to bring out some details of the interior and some dirt on the floor. Next step will be the mating of the upper and lower half.

VBL-029.jpg

VBL-027.jpg

VBL-026.jpg

VBL-025.jpg

VBL-024.jpg

Thanks for looking. Critiques and suggestions are always welcome.

Have a nice day

Nick

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

some progress here too, at last. It was time to mate the upper and lower half of the vehicle. This proved to be trickier than I thought. The upper half seemed to have been slightly distorted and would have caused considerable steps in the openig for the side doors and the back door. After forcing it slightly into position finally it worked out fine. I will need a little bit of filler as you can see in the pics.

VBL-033.jpg

VBL-034.jpg

VBL-036.jpg

Have a nice day

Nick

• Like 5

@loloskymaster Hi Lolo,

thank you very much for your kind words. I agree, this is a very good kit and a joy to build.

Hi all,

life, labour and nice weather have kept me away from my workbench for a while. Today I can show a little progress. I have done some filling and sanding, and then I attached the front wheel suspension. This was a rather time consuming process as you have to clean up mould seams on every part, No big problem anyway, that's the current status. I also attached the front plate. I think, another filling and sanding session will be necessary.

VBL-037.jpg

VBL-039.jpg

VBL-040.jpg

Thanks for looking, critiques and suggestions are always welcome.

Have a nice day

Nick

• Like 2

@Hamden Hi Roger,

thank you for your comment. There is quite a lot left to do until the base paint can be applied - rear suspension, detail parts on the inner sides of all doors, detail parts that have to be attached to the hull before painting etc. but I'm getting nearer.

Hi everybody,

I attached the rear wheels suspensions, now the Panhard is able to stand on it's own four legs. Same as with the front suspensions - time consuming mould seams removing, quite slow progress now. I also attached the exhaust system and the rear lights' fairings.

VBL-041.jpg

VBL-042.jpg

VBL-043.jpg

VBL-044.jpg

That's all for now. Thanks for looking. Suggestions and critiques are always welcome!

Have a nice day

Nick

• Like 1

Hi all,

today I have worked on the interior parts of the VBL's doors. After I attached all the parts and after I have done a black washing I realized that there are some nasty ejection marks that I haven't noticed before. I painted the doors way back when I painted the interior of the cab without checking them. Damn! 😠 That's how they look like:

VBL-045.jpg

VBL-046.jpg

The good thing is that they are hard to see once the doors are attached. (The flashlight brings them out mercilessly!) I will only keep the driver's door open, so I'll see how I'll take care of this. The driver's door is the one on top in the picture above.

VBL-047.jpg

VBL-048.jpg

VBL-049.jpg

Next steps will be to attach all the detail parts to the hull and to take care of the roof hatches and to mask and attach the transparent parts.

Have a nice day

Nick

Edited by flashlight
typo
  • Like 3

Hi all,

most of the detail parts are attached to the hull now. Next will be the roof hatch covers and the front mudguards. Also I will rip off the rifle and the ammo bags from the driver's door and fill and sand the ejection marks.

VBL-051.jpg

VBL-052.jpg

VBL-053.jpg

VBL-054.jpg

Thanks for looking, suggestions and critiques are always welcome.

Have a nice day

Nick

• Like 4

@Bullbasket Hi John,

thank you very much for your comment. These vehicles must be an impressive sight! Would be fun to drive one!

Hi all,

only small progress. Filled and sanded ejection marks on the roof hatch covers and on the driver's door. Now I can keep it open without problems.

VBL-055.jpg

VBL-061.jpg

That's all for now. Thanks for looking! Suggestions and critiques are always welcome.

Have a nice day

Nick

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I am terribly sorry to have you waiting so long for the next post. Unfortunately I have not been able to achieve some progress with this build. Lost mojo due to high pressure at work during the last months. I hope that I can continue this build soon.

Have a nice day

Nick