Textured finish on Camo Schemes???

dashellis

Hi Guys

Hoping someone can help me, this is probably something I'm doing wrong so hope someone can point me in the right direction.

When I airbrush some kits in a camo scheme i put down the lighter colour first all over. Go's down nicely, lovely finish. When I mask the kit then spray the next, darker colour i get areas that end up with a textured, sandpaper like finish. Not all over, appears to be only patches on top surfaces like wings, fuselage and tail planes.

I use enamels, have tried going to acrylics but cant get on with them, airbrush set to 18psi but all same as for first coat.

Any suggestions as to where I'm going wrong would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in Advance

Darren

I'm not an airbrush user, but it sounds like the paint is drying slightly between exiting the nozzle and hitting the surface of the model, hence the rough finish. I'll let those more knowledgable about airbrushing make more informed suggestions but it could be a distance/temperature issue?

Mike.:hmmm:

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MikeR said:

I'm not an airbrush user, but it sounds like the paint is drying slightly between exiting the nozzle and hitting the surface of the model, hence the rough finish. I'll let those more knowledgable about airbrushing make more informed suggestions but it could be a distance/temperature issue?

Mike.:hmmm:

My thoughts exactly.

Usually this would happen with pressure set way too high, so instead, what thinners are you using? Maybe they're too hot?

23 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

My thoughts exactly.

Usually this would happen with pressure set way too high, so instead, what thinners are you using? Maybe they're too hot?

Hi Jamie

I'm using Humbrol enamel thinners with Humbrol paints, I think I'm fairly consistent with spraying distance maybe I need to keep a closer eye on the next one