1/48 Italeri (Esci) S-3 Viking with folded wings

Hi all.

It's been a while since I posted one of my builds on this forum. Today I'd like to show my 1/48 Italeri (ex Esci) S-3 Viking.

This is a fantastic kit, probably one of the best Esci ever produced.

Years ago I managed to buy a Paragon wingfold set. Unfortunately these are getting pretty hard to come by these days.

The overall fit of the kit and resin wingfold parts is very good. Some exact cutting has to be done to get the resin parts in place correctly.

A black primer from Alclad was used as a base for the paintjob. I used multiple mixes of Gunze Aqeous grey to make a basic weathered effect. I used photos of the real plane as refference to replicate the many shades and touch ups. All was done freehand airbrushing.

The decals are a mix of kit decals and an aftermarket set from Super Scale.

Several grey washes and pastel powders were used for some additional weathering.

Thanks for watching.

spacer.png

t3x49k0.jpg

nRESq2R.jpg

If interested, you can visit my scale modeling Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/René-van-der-Hart-Scale-Models-250725525692334/

• Like 59
  • Thanks 3

On 6/23/2019 at 10:27 AM, HartDeco said:

Years ago I managed to buy a Paragon wingfold set. Unfortunately these are getting pretty hard to come by these days.

I manufactured and sold so many of those Wing Fold sets when I was running Paragon Designs, they were always a good seller, yet I saw very few of them built up on a finished model. So nice to see them on such an expertly finished Viking! 

Superb model, very, very good, things like the weathering have been captured perfectly. I congratulate you on such a finely finished model.

Fantastic!  :D

B)

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Neil said:

I manufactured and sold so many of those Wing Fold sets when I was running Paragon Designs, they were always a good seller, yet I saw very few of them built up on a finished model. So nice to see them on such an expertly finished Viking! 

Superb model, very, very good, things like the weathering have been captured perfectly. I congratulate you on such a finely finished model.

Fantastic!  :D

B)

Thank you for your nice comments Neil.

Too bad the Paragon products are not manufactured anymore. I used the wingfold set for the Academy F-111 and the B-26K Counter Invader conversion set. Both are great sets and fit perfectly. There must be thousands of sets lying around gathering dust never to be put onto a kit. Such a shame. There are just too many collectors and too few model builders inmy opinion.

René

Edited by HartDeco
  • Like 1

Awesome!! Always liked the E-3 since I was a kid and was gutted when I had to part with mine complete with lots of AM last year 😥.

Have since managed to bag a new kit along with that ‘Hen’s Teeth’ Paragon set you mentioned and if I can make my build even a fraction as good as yours I’ll be over the moon!

That said, I’d have to squeeze it onto the workbench past the two F-4J’s, Gnat, Mig-17, F-14A, two Tonkas, F-5E and Mirage III that are ‘under construction’ 😂

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HartDeco said:

Thank you for your nice comments Neil.

Too bad the Paragon products are not manufactured anymore. 

René

I still own all of the masters, patterns and moulds for all of the Paragon range, and I have seen some of the prices that my sets have made on various web and auction sites, and many, MANY times I have thought about getting back into the business and re-issuing some of them!  :D

Maybe one day I will actually do something about it, and do so!!

Once again, an outstanding S-3 Viking you have made there.

B)

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Neil said:

I still own all of the masters, patterns and moulds for all of the Paragon range, and I have seen some of the prices that my sets have made on various web and auction sites, and many, MANY times I have thought about getting back into the business and re-issuing some of them!  :D

Maybe one day I will actually do something about it, and do so!!

Oh please do! Do, do, do! :clap:

• Like 1