ZM 1/32 Mustang

pacificmustang

G'day All

I thought I might roll up announced -if that's OK?- with my Zoukie Mura P-51D Mustang. 

This build was directly influenced by @Baldy supurb build here

I went straight out and bought ZMs Mustang after seeing his build, and as a modelling friend stated, the time to start an impulse buy is straight after purchasing it!

So, the obligatory box top, although I am not going to take photos of all the sprues.

port side

This is the first ZM kit I have built and their attention to detail and passion as model makers is evident through all the contents.

Wingnut Wings instruction books are rightly held up as an industry high, but I think the ZM booklets rival them and come very close.

port side-2 port side-3

Work starts with the  Rolls Royce engine with ZM even moulding cylinders into the engine blocks, crazy, but I have read ZMs philosophy is to show how the real aircraft was built, and they want you as a model maker to have a better understanding of this.

port side-4

The rods (Im sure this is not the proper name) even mesh together when inserted into the crankcase.

port side-5 port side-6

So, baby steps so far on the Mustang.  I will be returning to this at the end of the week.

Thanks for looking

Bruce

• Like 7

Looking forward to this.

It looks like a very comprehensive kit, perhaps on a par with the Airfix 1/24 Typhoon. I hope you have enough time to finish it before the GB deadline, it would take me at least a couple of years.

John

7 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

G'day All

I thought I might roll up announced -if that's OK?

Certainly is and welcome in the shark invested waters.

I like your choice of kit and subject and hope that there will be enough time for your build as it is a rather complex kit. Will follow with interest.

Cheers, Peter

So, a little more done on the Mustang.

This is pretty much all Im going to do with the engine as I will have the cowlings closed but rest assured all the parts are provided to build up a very nicely detailed Rolls Royce/Packard

engine block

The below are all the parts for the cockpit except the instrument panel with the basic colours applied.  Washing and dry brushing plus detail painting will follow.

fullsizeoutput_33b

Edited by pacificmustang
  • Like 10

Continuing on with the cockpit, ZM give you options for seats with or without belts.  I went for the beltless seat, choosing to add my own.  Likewise you can choose between joysticks with and without the boot.  I went for the one with the boot adding shading from vallejo colours and adding some sponge chipping to the stick, as I imagine it would get a bit of a beating from the pilots boots as he climbed in and out.

seats

I added a few bits of wire to the radio and dressed it and the battery up with some generic placards.  The tentacle looking thing is the warm air heater hose.  Seat belts are from HGW 

floor cockpit floor

two instrument panels are provided, pictured here is the great plastic one.  there is also a clear plastic one which you apply a decal to.  My painting looks horrible close up, but viewed at a distance (from across the room, its not bad)

instrument panel

The decal sheet also contains some placards for the cockpit sideframes

sidewalls

and here's the starboard side frame and panel attached to the floor.

starboard wall attached

• Like 9

Good job so far sootie !

I really am scratching my head but, i get the pistons  i can see the appeal, you put lovely seatbelts in , really like those, the cockpit etc is painted well but seems let down by a non etched instrument panel, is it too late to put one in mate, seems a waste is all

Cheers

Yeah,  no, it’s a good point Norm

. I had a yahu panel, but its not a great fit to the ZM panel with the location tabs in the wrong spot 

plus I thought I’d try out my fine painting skills but failed a bit ! 

once the cockpit is done, it can be mated to the engine and firewall sub assembly to give you this.

cockpit subfram

You then build up the fuselage over this frame with the below parts, which join along panel lines just like the real thing.

fuselage parts-2

No fuselage halves here!!!.  Take care to insure all mating surfaces are free of burrs, and that the outside of the fuselage floor is also flush with none of the radiator mounting pegs sitting proud

fuselage side fitted

Take your time to insure the side panels are sitting hard against the floor alone its length.  There is no room for error if you want to the parts to butt up against each other with even panel lines

fuselage side fitted-2

The below pic shows the upper cowl just dry fitted as well as the instrument shroud.

fuselage side fitted-3

Im really starting to enjoy this build.  It's not for everyone.  If you're one that loves to get to the painting stage quickly,maybe build the Revell kit,  

This kit  rewards the modeller who loves the build process as much as the finishing. And that's me!

Edited by pacificmustang
photo
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Coming on a treat, Bruce, the cockpit's a  gem !

ZM kits certainly get you thinking and are a change from conventional building, despite claims that they're over-engineered.

Following your build with interest !

Rog

Incredible work snd detail. I knew Z-M kits were extremely parts heavy and went through this process of building up the aircraft in small sub assemblies. Ive just never seen one built before, thats why i opted to follow your build. I too am someone who enjoys the build as well as the painting stage. I actually believe if this is built with very careful attention. Making sure that the surfaces that are to be connected are clean. I believe that you may not need filler, as the panels seem very tight fitting ?  I wonder if there F-4 Phantoms go together like this ? 

Dennis

Hi Dennis, yes you are correct.  I now have the top deck on and the cowlings dry fitted.  Everything appears to go together well with no need for filler at this stage, All joins are along panel lines.  I have the phantom and am hoping that is the same

Thanks for looking in

Bruce

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Joining the completed tail unit to the fuselage left me with a gap, which I think is more down to me not ensuring everything was aligned more so than the kit, nothing that a bit of milliput won't fix!

fuselage-2

The cowling is made ups of four quarters.  If you want cowlings off, the kit also provides the framework, but its either, or with this kit, unlike the tamiya kit

cowlings

With a completed fuselage, attention now turned to the wing, which is built up from this one piece spar part.  I have already assembled and installed the wing tanks

wingspar

this is then glued to the one piece lower wing.  I used clothes pegs to clamp it to ensure a tight fit as any gaps will throw everything else out

wingspar-2

I used AK real colours Yellow zinc Chromate, washed with Mig dark wash then dry brushed with Vallejo Ice yellow for all interior parts

gunbay-2

The ammunition was painted with Vallejo brass, the projectiles in copper with the belts in beige.  Tamiya black wash was then liberally applied.  I think I might add some plastic strips to the top of the gun breeches just to add a bit of detail as they look a little plain.

gunbay-3

with the top wing surfaces glued on, the separate wingtips were added.  A good fit, thank goodness

wingtip

• Like 7

It looks to be a well engineered kit, and I particularly like your painting of the ammunition belts.

On kits with fuselages halves which are split into two or more pieces I prefer to make up each half on a flat surface before joining them together. I know it’s too late for this one, but worth considering for future builds.

John

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 9:55 PM, Biggles87 said:

It looks to be a well engineered kit, and I particularly like your painting of the ammunition belts.

On kits with fuselages halves which are split into two or more pieces I prefer to make up each half on a flat surface before joining them together. I know it’s too late for this one, but worth considering for future builds.

John

That's the way I usually operate too John, but the way the parts are broken down in this kit precludes doing that on this occasion

• Like 1