U.S.S Enterprise AMT/ERTL

I was given this along with a few more old kits a friend of mine didn't want, he's mostly 1/48 aircraft. This isn't his thing, and not really mine.

2019-06-21_09-27-12

But I knew a friend who was coming round would love it. And has been talking about doing some models as he'd seen I'd picked up the hobby. So I showed him how to do a bit of airbrushing. 

I assembled some parts before he came round. 

2019-06-22_12-00-01

The instructions fold out and are A2 size I think? Double sided. 

2019-06-22_12-00-12 2019-06-22_12-00-35

I sprayed it black, the paint here is wet still. So looks shiny but it dried matt. I didn't give it a solid coat, I left some patches a lot lighter and then gave it a mist with grey primer. 

I forgot to take pics before I got the airbrush out, but here's my mate having a go at airbrushing for the first time, and loving it. 

2019-06-22_12-00-54

He is really into sci-fi stuff, so this was all smiles from him. I got him to do the mottling type stuff first, then I got him to layer up and pic out some panels to highlight or to keep darker etc. 

I had a go/practice on some of it too and together we got this. 

2019-06-22_12-01-11

I hadnt had time to fettle and glue on the piece that should be covering those holes but I can give it the same treatment and pop it on tomorrow. Wives were calling us as we had to get to a table reservation at a hotel a couple of miles away. 

I will continue on this build. Then I'm going to give it to my friend who helped. Hopefully he will be modelling again. I might somehow find a way to incorporate some LEDs too. 

More pictures tomorrow 

Edited by FPDPenguin
  • Like 8

8 hours ago, Thom216 said:

That's a good looking paint going on. Liking it.

Thanks. Based black, a little random sprays of grey primer to lighten up a few areas and then just some cheap white acrylic. I'm actually quite surprised how good it looks. This is turning out to be a great build and even better for practice with the airbrush. Although there is a lot to paint. It's started hurting my hand. 

Got some eggshell blue that I will add grey to for the cargo bay door areas. 

20190622_210422 20190622_210413

The light is reflecting off the top in this one, but this is as far as I got last night, hand was hurting. 

20190622_210409

Back to it this afternoon. Decided I'm going to add some LEDs to this one. Seems only right. Yellow in the bottom where the windows are to be drilled and blue LEDs in the engines. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Masked up for the blue/grey colour

20190623_120001

After a few coats 

20190623_121924

I've got a few bottles of the MP paint. It's cheap and works almost straight away in the airbrush with just a few drops of water. 

2019-06-23_12-20-27

I added a little of revel bluish grey to the powder blue. 

I always seem to get little patches that pull off under the tamiya tape. So I had to go over some patches of white. I decided to mist the blue with a little white too since I will get over spray. 

20190623_134522 20190623_134538

I will add some blue and grey pastel weathering to the line to accent movement. 

I've inevitably chipped a few bits of white that will need touching up. I've almost finished the top too. 

20190623_134530

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Did some engine things 

20190623_173425 20190623_173438 20190623_173453

I drilled a few of the holes/windows/portholes I dont know, because I'm impatient and wanted to see light coming through them.

I put my bike light down the big hole that the base attaches too. It's way to bright and shows up where the tape pulled some paint off and has been retouched. 

I'm going to need low power led lights. I've got a bag of resistors somewhere. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, John_W said:

Very nice. I like the way you have achieved an Aztec effect without decals or masking.

First time airbrushing something this big, hurt my hand and had to do it in a few sittings. But I'll definitely be trying the black basing technique again on future wingy things. 

• 2 months later...

I had a look at this the weekend, I gloss varnished the top dome ready for testing the decals. Unfortunately they didn't work. They crumbled when removed from the backing card and the surrounding film was yellowed and turned almost gel like. 

Only replacement ones I can find are from the USA and have 20 dollar postage attached to them. 

So onward with electrical instillation. 

20190908_163100 20190908_163113

Once the engines are sorted I've got to figure a way of routing the wires through the nacelles into the main body. 

Cheers 

🐧

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

It occurred to me that I hadn't checked other kits that are available, and that the decals for those may do. Revell make one, so fired off an email and even offered money. Had a reply emeil but it just said that it would be passed on to the German branch. 

Get home from work and a small box was on the mat. Opened it up to find a tightly rolled piece of blue card. 

Wondering if I'd ordered anything while tipsy or tired (as I'm sure many of us have done) I couldn't see anything on any of my ebay/amazon apps. So unfurled it and voila. 

2019-10-03_05-44-11

I'm well happy now. Looks like I know what I'm doing this weekend. Although I need to figure out what some of the other decals are for. 

My mate is going to be so pleased when I give him this. 

Edited by FPDPenguin
Fat fingers on mobile screen

14 hours ago, John_W said:

That is the decal sheet for the "Reeboot" Enterprise from the new movies I am afraid, not the "refit" Enterprise from the original movies.

I thought the same, but it could make for an interesting 'alternative' scheme for the ship.

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 3

On 04/10/2019 at 18:09, John_W said:

That is the decal sheet for the "Reeboot" Enterprise from the new movies I am afraid, not the "refit" Enterprise from the original movies.

I wasn't prepared to pay 20 quid plus the same again import tax for a copy of the original decals. 

This will have to do. 

🐧

On 04/10/2019 at 08:51, Mikey-1980 said:

Looks fantastic so far!

Really interested in how you are planning to light up the nacelles too, especially with the LED positioning.

Great effort so far though :)

The shine backwards across the blue bit

• Like 1