1/32 F-16 Block 25 build ?

DDELK

Hi everyone,

I know I don’t spend much time on here but I’m getting ready to get back to modeling 👍👍. I want to do a 1/32 Viper in the block 25 configuration. I really don’t want to spend the ridiculous amount of money to buy the Tamiya thunderbird kit, so if anyone has some better ideas I’m all ears..

thank you

Block 25 was the first "C" production variant but predated the engine changes (and corresponding "big mouth"/"small mouth" variations) that came with the GE F110 engine option.  So in simple terms you're looking for an F100 (Pratt & Whitney) engine and the original ("smallmouth") intake style, both of which are common to the F-16A.

Both Revell and Hasegawa have released 1/32 F-16C kits that were updates to their earlier F-16As - mainly updating the vertical tail.  Tamiya's kit which was designed as a C from the beginning is therefore more accurate (and generally a better kit all-around), but if you're comfortable with some minor detail errors you can probably find Hasegawa's or Revell's kits on the secondary market for a much lower price.

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

I'm also wanting to build a Block 25 as well and have picked up a Hasegawa kit. It's a basic kit and has mostly raised panel lines for an early A by the look of it but the outline appears to be good and with a bit of work I think it will build into a good model.

It's a shame that Tamiya haven't expanded on their F-16 kits with other versions.

Regards,

Mark

13 hours ago, DDELK said:

I really want one without raised panel lines if possible, but I guess a little describing never hurt anyone

dave

Not sure how much better the pricing will be than the Tamiya T-bird Block 32, but in my earlier response I forgot to include the Academy kit. It was released not long before Tamiya's Uber-Viper, and has been criticized for some issues with the intake shapes (kit offers "big mouth" and "small mouth" options), but it's a detailed kit with a boatload of stores options included - and the recessed scribing you prefer. 

Academy's "CG/CJ" has the Pratt engine option (for a Korean Block 52) so the major elements of a Block 25 are in the box. Other than the aforementioned intake shape problems, the main details that may differ are the landing gear (Block 25 should have 'lightweight' gear with no bulged doors) and the cockpit.

Revell's F-16C (also boxed as an F-16N, which is the same basic airframe) also has recessed panel lines, albeit nowhere near as finely done as Tamiya or Academy.  The cockpit is, in a word, not good, but you ought to be able to find one for a fraction of the price of Academy or Tamiya.

Thanks for the info again. I may go with the Academy kit then. I’m building this for a friend and I’m really not sure he would know the difference in landing gear. My main concern was the engine and small mouth intake. I’ve built several Tamiya kits and would love to post them but I can’t figure out how to upload from my mobile phone..

dave

12 minutes ago, DDELK said:

Thanks for the info again. I may go with the Academy kit then. I’m building this for a friend and I’m really not sure he would know the difference in landing gear. My main concern was the engine and small mouth intake. I’ve built several Tamiya kits and would love to post them but I can’t figure out how to upload from my mobile phone..

dave

If you're building for an audience that doesn't know the difference, I'm sure it's fine not to sweat the details. Heck, I remember a time when I couldn't distinguish an F-16A from an F-16C! 😄

As to posting photos, this forum requires posting to an image hosting server rather than being able to post directly "from the source."  There's a help section near the top of the forum where you can learn more, and if you have a lot of pictures you'll probably want to create a new thread under "Ready For Inspection."

I did consider an Academy F-16C but have noticed that they appear to be a bit thin on the ground at the moment although Hannants  currently have it on their future releases.

One of the most frustrating things about doing an early block F-16 if you want aftermarket is the fact that there doesn't seem to be much currently available for the Hasegawa kit or Pratt and Whitney engined aircraft. My Tamiya F-16 came with an Aires Cockpit but I'm using the kit one as I thought it was sufficient so I'm going to attempt to fit the Aires cockpit intended for the Tamiya kit into the Aires Cockpit.

I'm a big fan of resin burner cans for aircraft like the F-16 where the burner is large and when painted white with added weathering, you can see a lot of detail so feel the additional expenditure is worthwhile. Most of the currently available burner cans are for the General Electric engined aircraft and there is very little available for Pratt and Whitney engined aircraft. I'm sure they have been available in the past but the only currently available parts I was able to source for mine was either from GT Resin or another company I'd never heard of called KASL Hobby which is the one I ended up getting in the end and it looks really good although some fettling will be required as it's designed for the Tamiya kit by the look of it.

Regards,

Mark