Airfix 1/24th F6F-5 Hellcat

I've spent all morning today applying stencil marking transfers. 

I hate stencil marking transfers.   👹

At least, with a 3x magnification lense, they are legible!! 

Soon it will be the main markings.... this is coming together...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Thanks, Johnny: it could have been much worse, but thanks to the staff at Salisbury District and Southampton General Hospitals she is fully recovered with no lasting consequences! 

So I can get back to building models!! 🛩️

• Like 2

Almost finished applying the Stencil transfers... they are  mostly minute, but under 3X magnification they can be read, so they need to be the right way up and aligned.... well I have to. 

It took 5 x 1 hour sessions... my eyesight and the concentration needed limited how long I could spend doing it. 

A few missing, or the numbers on the instructions don't tie up with the numbers on the transfer sheet. 

Cutting them out has been a challenge, tiny white print on an off white background... 

Applying them equally demanding, I had to use Microset to make sure they snugged down whilst drying.. 

The photo shows  those in the cockpit area. The Glossy patches are there so the transfer film is invisible: it will all be matt varnish when I'm done. 

spacer.png

Next, the big markings, some touching up, light weathering and I'm done. 

Other than working out where to put it....😟

• Like 4

Update...

spacer.png

Most of the main transfers are in place. Using Micro Sol and Set was essential to get them to bed down onto the detail, but the final result is excellent. They have had a coat of Micro Gloss, I think it looks excellent...but then I would. 

The canopy masking took all afternoon, first coat is interior green, so it can be seen from the inside, then external colours.

The tail wheel needs fitting, then the tailplane and various antenna/lights. 

The fin top antenna I removed at stage 0 as I could see it coming off and disappearing!! 

On plan to be finished by the end of the English 2nd lockdown!! 

I'll then put up a ready for inspection!! 

(BTW, this is the first kit I've purchased and built to completion, without time in the "stash" since the early 1990s....)

• Like 5

Great build Peter, and quite amazing kit.

On 11/11/2020 at 7:10 PM, 224 Peter said:

I've spent all morning today applying stencil marking transfers. 

I hate stencil marking transfers.   👹

But they do look good! :)

Stencils, transfers, now weapons...

spacer.png

UK standard 3" rockets, 4 per side, instead of the US 5" ones in the kit. 

Blast plates on the underside of the wing, based on some very indistinct photos of the A/C on the carrier. 

Bronze U/C leg and tyre. 

On the home run now, a lot of fiddly bits and then a small amount of weathering: exhaust smoke stains, some chipping around the gun bay doors and engine panels and a very faint "salt haze" on forward and upper surfaces.  

WWII carriers didn't have enough fresh water to wash down aircraft parked on deck, they waited for the rain....

More, soon! I want to get this monster finished! 

250lb British bomb, and rack, from the Typhoon.

• Like 3