Airfix 1/24th F6F-5 Hellcat

The box arrived at 16:00. 

First impressions....

1. A big box packed with a lot of plastic...600 parts they say. 

2. VERY fine detailing, moulding flawless, reasonable length runners, even on the smallest of parts. 

3. I cannot see any short shot parts.

The instructions have you start with the cockpit. I'm still thinking about the best way to do the instruments. Airfix provide separate instrument transfers to apply to the back of a clear panel and then fix the front over. Confusingly they offer 3 instrument panels, R3 and R4, but no where I can see do they link the choice to a model. On the transfer application page there is no mention of the choice, either. 

So I'm going to start on Page 39, step 150 and build the engine!! 

Photos to follow... 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I figured that someone would have their hands on one! 

Just been staring at the box over at KB models in Havant. 

BIG! 

My best chance is via raffle tickets! 

Page 39 sounds like a good plan. 

One small step for Man....... 

(how many pages are there for goodness sake??) 😊

I'll definitely follow this one! I was at Telford watching the unveiling. My mate and I were convinced it was going to be a 1/350 scale Queen Elizabeth (R08), and could feel the disappointment when everyone saw what it was .............. but then we started to think about it, and eventually thought, this could be good!

And I am sure it will be, so all eyes on you to get this going. As Rob says, what better place to start than page 39, step 150!

Will we be getting an FAA Hellcat?

Terry

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Will we be getting an FAA Hellcat?

Terry

One of the kit options is for an FAA example in the Temperate Sea Scheme (Extra Dark Sea Grey, Dark Slate Grey and Sky camouflage with, IIRC, Blue and White SEAC/British Pacific Fleet national markings).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, stever219 said:

One of the kit options is for an FAA example in the Temperate Sea Scheme (Extra Dark Sea Grey, Dark Slate Grey and Sky camouflage with, IIRC, Blue and White SEAC/British Pacific Fleet national markings).

FAA, 808 Squadron..Australian. 

Squadron codes C7. 

Some were in the Temperate Sea Scheme, others in all over blue. 

I'm going for the Temperate Sea Scheme, 100% out of the box. 

• Like 3

Just bought one direct from Airfix - I know I could have got one from a retailer - but in MK there are none 😞 So with free P&P makes complete sense to do so (plus 100% goes to Airfix bottom line!!!!)

Now just have to wait for it to arrive!

No getting this past SWMBO box is a tad too big I think :evil_laugh:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jordi said:

Looking forward to this one.  One note on Airfix's choice of markings - "Paper Doll" was one of the early F6F-5s, and as such, it had the two small windows aft of the main canopy.  Fortunately that area of the fuselage is flat (or very nearly so), so it won't be too difficult to fabricate them from clear plastic.  Seems an odd choice for as much trouble as Airfix went to on the kit though.

Could the early F6F-5 with windows have been replaced by a later one, due to damage?

Started with the engine. 

It is LARGE...

It is going to be slow. mould gates in unhelpful positions, so careful trimming is needed. 

The engine is built round the crank case, which is made up of 2 pieces and is circular.

Everything slides over this, or rather once sanded down, they do. As moulded they are too tight to properly position. 

Photos later in the week. 

• Thanks 1

The Pratt & Whitney R-2800-10W Double Wasp

Part 1: Stages 150 to 158

This section provides the main components, crank case, cylinder blocks and pushrod tubes.

It took a lot longer than expected, because almost every part required careful cleaning up to remove gate marks in unhelpful places and there were a number of other challenges.  

The “elephant in the room” follows from step 150 where parts J 3 to 5 are brought together to make the crank case, around which everything else fits. A keyway ensures proper alignment.

The first hint of trouble came with my attempt to slide part J6 over the crank case. I’d cleaned up the inside, but there was NO way it was going to fit! Careful measurement with my precision Vernier callipers suggested that 0.5mm needed to be removed from the crankcase to get everything to fit. The solution was a dowel rod inserted in the crankcase, using a cordless drill on slow speed and a coarse sanding stick.

With the crankcase now of a size that allowed parts J6 and J7 I could turn my attention to the rear row of cylinders. These require part J7, all 9 of them, to be attached to the cylinder head. The instructions imply that there are locating holes on the rocker boxes. Wrong.. they have to be located, a bit vaguely, in the right place. They are also very small and a couple pinged off my tweezers, never to be seen again. HSS came to the rescue: Airfix provide 18, no spares.

Gluing the two parts of the cylinder block together was trouble free, other than the need to check the fit over the crank case. Assembling the front row of cylinders was a repeat of the rears.

This photo shows all the parts laid out, ready for painting.

spacer.png

Keeping paint out of the centres and the main part of the crankcase will be essential......

The next photo will show the assembled and painted motor,  ready to have ignition leads fitted in place, steps 159 and 160. Airfix quote lengths, from 12mm to 47mm. I hope they are accurate, I have some suitable fuse wire, but it will need painting copper: watch this space! 

After the plug leads we move on to the mares nest of inlet and exhaust pipes. 

Rushing ahead a bit, after the last step, 186, there is a comment that if it is wished to leave the engine free from the rest of the aircraft, used part K6. Otherwise leave it out. Not sure why Airfix provided that part, really, unless they plan to offer the engine as a separate kit. 

Peter

Edited by 224 Peter
insert picture
  • Like 3

Now the painted engine, ready for the plug leads, all 36 of them. The front ones are essential, but the bac ones: I;m not sure! 

spacer.png

The colours are as directed, mostly. The cylinders I dry brushed with Humbrol Metalkote matt Aluminium, the pushrod tubes likewise in polished steel and the wiring "horseshoe" in Metalkote Bronze, The paint is at least 30, possibly 40 years old, but still is good. 

Edited by 224 Peter
  • Like 12

On 6/22/2019 at 3:04 PM, Jordi said:

Looking forward to this one.  One note on Airfix's choice of markings - "Paper Doll" was one of the early F6F-5s, and as such, it had the two small windows aft of the main canopy.  Fortunately that area of the fuselage is flat (or very nearly so), so it won't be too difficult to fabricate them from clear plastic.  Seems an odd choice for as much trouble as Airfix went to on the kit though.

i too thought that rather astonishing.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Jordi said:

Thanks for the link. Hadn't spotted those. I'm quite partial to the Bunker Hill option.

Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jordi said:

Someone mentioned somewhere (I’ve forgotten where) that they thought they remembered seeing -5N radar parts on the sprues displayed at Telford.  Can anyone confirm?  Surely someone must have taken pictures?

Mike's review has the sprue shots. Not sure I can see radar parts, not unless it's on the clear sprue which I couldn't see. If it's not there, I imagine the aftermarket boys will soon sort that out.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235056983-grumman-f6f-5-hellcat-a19004-124/

Steve

7 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Mike's review has the sprue shots. Not sure I can see radar parts, not unless it's on the clear sprue which I couldn't see. If it's not there, I imagine the aftermarket boys will soon sort that out.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235056983-grumman-f6f-5-hellcat-a19004-124/

Steve

Or will that be the 2nd release, like the Typhoon, first with sliding hood, then car door. 

3 minutes ago, Jordi said:

No apparently they were on the Airfix stand at Telford.  I know they're not in the current box.  Someone said they'd seen what they thought were parts for the radar pod on the sprues at Telford.

Ah! I see. So a possible future release then? Although I think a lot of people are gunning for the -3.

Steve

1 minute ago, Jordi said:

Unfortunately I don't see them doing a -3.  It would require new fuselage parts, new cowling parts, new wing parts (the -3 outer wing panel lines and details are different from those on the -5), and a new windscreen.  I don't see any evidence in the existing sprues that provisions have been made for that.  I hope I am wrong!

Unfortunately, I'm no Hellcat expert, so thanks for highlighting the differences. I do like the -5, and can't decide between the french markings or the forthcoming Bunker Hill markings, either way, it's an impressive box full of plastic! I was lucky enough to bag a bit of hangar time in Doug Arnold's / David Arnold's -5 Hellcat. Talk about getting lost in the cockpit...then you look outside and wonder how those guys put these beasts down on carrier decks. Respect to all naval aviators due!

Steve

I just picked up one of these kits, and I have to say I am impressed. One question I do have has to do with the Royal Navy option. All the photos I’ve seen of East Indies Fleet Hellcats have the wing bands covering a portion of the roundels, but this isn’t the case with the kit option. Does anyone have a photo of this aircraft?

The roundel centres are supposed to be 80” from the tip, on the official Grumman markings diagram. Not so on the kit. 

This isn’t a big issue, just a “watch out” if I’m correct.

Also, there appears to be a pneumatic tyre tail wheel on the sprues (part L31). Is this for Royal Navy Hellcats only, or for land based use?

TW

Edited by Tony Whittingham
Added tail wheel option.

4 hours ago, Tony Whittingham said:

I just picked up one of these kits, and I have to say I am impressed. One question I do have has to do with the Royal Navy option. All the photos I’ve seen of East Indies Fleet Hellcats have the wing bands covering a portion of the roundels, but this isn’t the case with the kit option. Does anyone have a photo of this aircraft?

The roundel centres are supposed to be 80” from the tip, on the official Grumman markings diagram. Not so on the kit. 

This isn’t a big issue, just a “watch out” if I’m correct.

TW

You need to talk to @tonyot as I believe he was involved with the research of the markings for this aircraft with Airfix

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Jordi said:

Airfix tells you to paint the ignition harness bronze?  Has the UK legalized previously illegal substances?  You can Google "R2800 F6F" and see that that color callout is complete fiction.  

They actually use copper... I agree it looks wrong. I suspect that they used a colour photo of a museum engine. 

Following your advice it looks as though the ignition harness should be semi gloss black of a nickel like silver, with the actual plug leads a silver grey, probably braided metal. 

As the wiring harness is not fixed to the crankcase, yet, a repaint is a simple matter! 

Thanks for the heads up, Jordi. 

• Thanks 1

Just had a look at one of these in the box at a club meeting. 

That's some pile of styrene you're dealing with! 

All looks impressive on the sprues. The "dented" stressed skin detail is remarkably well done. 

Surprised to see the propeller moulded in one piece. 

This is going to be quite a build 

• 2 weeks later...

Progress, slow progress, but progress. 

I got hold of a colour photo of the back of the big engine: 

spacer.png

To say it is complex is an understatement. The plug leads are clearly a woven dark copper, the inlet dull silver and the exhaust a brownish gunmetal. Not exactly what Airfix suggest. 

This is how mine looks at the moment. 

spacer.png

The exhausts are a nightmare. I pre-painted them all in gunmetal. Threading the manifolds down to the back of the front cylinders, avoiding the plug leads takes about 2 or 3 minutes per exhaust pipe!!

Two pipes join before mating with  the exhausts from a pair of rear cylinders at the exhaust stub pair, so 4 cylinders into each exhaust pair. I discovered the hard way that it is not possible to join the pairs of pipes before threading them into place.

The result is that as there is no way to clamp the join, you have to hold the 2 pipes in position whilst the glue sets some of the joints are less than perfect, meaning a spot of filler and touching up will be needed before I weather the exhausts: from the colour of the photograph they look like stainless steel that has been oxidised by heat. So the gunmetal specified by Airfix is a bit too grey, it needs a reddish silver hue. 

When all the exhausts are done I will return to the front of the engine, connect the plug wires from the rear cylinders and fit the front plug leads. 

With the benefit of hindsight I'm not sure I'd have bothered with the rear plug leads in full, but the part that runs over from the black air baffle between the cylinder rows would have been enough, together with the fronts. 

This is a photo of the front of a real engine...

spacer.png

It is from a P47, so a few small differences, such as the oil coolers with red/orange hoses. 

The big difference is the crankcase colour, the grey specified by Airfix isn't as blue as on the photos. 

More as I get there!!

Edited by 224 Peter
Corrections
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

It has taken me almost 2 weeks to finish the main part of the engine. 

Why?

There is so much to cram into a small space. 

I fitted the plug leads, the way I found worked was to cut the wire about 5mm longer than Airfix specify, start at the back and install the rear facing plug leads BEFORE the exhaust pipes. 

Once the exhausts are in place then fir the front facing plug leads. 

Bring the rear ones forward and then working from one end, using fast super glue fix the leads to the distribution harness. There are semi circular recesses on the back face of the distribution harness, this helps. 

This is the final result: compared with the photograph it lacks detail, but viewed from a distance it looks better than most radial engines on a kit. 

spacer.png

On to the cockpit for my next report...

I'm going to model the FAA version and with the top engine cowl open and the wing gun bay doors open. 

Much of the fuselage detail is invisible, so I'll leave that out. 

• Like 15