Revell 1/48 Grumman A6-E TRAM Intruder VM-85 "Libya Raider"

This model was completed on Sunday, Jan.1 2017.  It was started in mid-July 2013!  It is one of my last two completed builds.  At some point, it was relegated to a safe spot and more or less abandoned. I would dust her off from time to time, always thinking I’d get back to work on the kit but again, time would soon find her back on the shelf. Not long before the holiday season just past, I started yet again and with a new resolve to finish her and move on to other builds.

The model represents aircraft number 501(build number 161685) of Navy squadron VM-85. It took part in the Navy’s attacks on Libyan patrol boats in the Gulf of Sidra, March 1986. The aircraft carries two AGM-84 Harpoon anti-ship missiles and three drop-tanks. I am not sure that that is the exact load-out for 501 on any actions there but it’s close enough for me.

The paint is Model Master enamel; dark ghost gray on top, light ghost gray underneath. The decals are from “The Intruder’s Sandbox” set by AOA decals. I had a couple fairly good reference photos of this aircraft and that helped as I tried to replicate the worn, patchy appearance of those Intruders. The ochre colored anti-erosion tape seen on the leading edges is clear decal film sprayed with Humbrol trainer yellow. That idea saved me a lot of masking and time. The rod for the flak curtains is fine wire, secured to a tiny length of aluminum tubing in front and into a hole in the canopy bulkhead. (and as I looked at the pics, the thought occurred to me...wouldn't the right side have a flak curtain as well? Oh well. Good luck to the right-seater!!). I ground and carved away at the kit exhaust as they looked pretty bad. The exhausts now seen are sections cut from old ballpoint pens.

I used my Paasche Model H for the spraying and used various shades of gray, rectangular and square cut-out “stencils”, file card as a straight edge, Flory washes and some pastel chalks to weather her. A mechanical pencil with the point sanded down quite finely and pieces of old vacuum cleaner belt was used to draw the panel lines. The drop tanks were done the same way and then I used a cotton bud to blur the pencil lines a bit. I think that technique gives a good result with raised lines.

The kit went to together fairly well and the worst ordeal was attaching the tanks and ordnance. The attachment points were poorly engineered and seemed way too fiddly to me. Oh, and she's a big-time "tail-sitter" too. Even with two 115 gr 9mm bullets epoxied into the nose cone, she'll rock back on her heels like a cheap whore at the slightest provocation. Like moving the canopy too far back. The slight wind at the airport made it really frustrating to get pics because the model was constantly tilting back. I was not greatly impressed by the AOA decals either. Some resisted adhesion and none seemed overly rugged but rather too fragile. But after much gnashing of teeth and entirely too much time, she is finished and already in the display cabinet. But before that could happen, I had to get some pics. Here are some taken inside on Jan. 1 after everything was finished, and a few from next day at the Cameron airport too. January 2 was a lovely day out there and I had a nice interaction with two local police officers. They were very cool!   As usual, thanks for taking time to look and comments welcomed!

port%20full%20good%20-%20Copy.jpg

garybrantley-170104-586d70c3aaa12.jpeg

front%20view%201%20-%20Copy.jpg

overhead%201%20-%20Copy.jpg

sb%20from%20rear%202%20-%20Copy.jpg

port%20tail%20close%20up%20-%20Copy.jpg

poprt%20midship%20close%20up%20-%20Copy.

port%20nose%20close%20up%20%20-%20Copy.j

port%20from%20front%20-%20Copy.jpg

sb%20full%20-%20Copy.jpg

port%20wing%20upper%20close%20up%20-%20C

top%20view%20close.jpg

port%20nose%20inside%20good%20-%20Copy.j

best%20overhead%20inside%20-%20Copy.jpg

good%20bottom%20view%20-%20Copy.jpg

clear%20bottom%20close%20up%20good%20-%2

bottom%20exhausts%20-%20Copy.jpg

nose%20close%20up%20port%20bottom%20-%20

with%20original%20photo.jpg

Edited by Gary Brantley
  • Like 59

I was looking at the pictures of the plane at the airport and was thinking it was not fair to take pictures of an actual plane and call it a model.  Good idea to show some of the kit indoors just to prove it was a kit.  Seriously, this is very nice work and an excellent finish.

• Like 3

As mentioned above. If you can turn this old Revell into something like your model, than you are able to tackle everything.

Regards, Dirk / The Netherlands.

• Like 1

I am impressed- the paint and weathering are first-class and very representative of the type. I especially liked the tape lights- they look like the real thing! A shame we don't have an airworthy example to see and hear! Well done, sir!

Mike

• Like 1

On 6/21/2019 at 2:30 PM, Vultures1 said:

Really nice Intruder and a great result given all the challenges in the build.  The photos at the airport are particularly nice too - well done!

On 6/21/2019 at 3:51 PM, Maxwellphillips said:

Amazing again! 

On 6/21/2019 at 4:29 PM, RMCS said:

One of my all time favourites. .superb 

On 6/21/2019 at 7:34 PM, Harold55 said:

I was looking at the pictures of the plane at the airport and was thinking it was not fair to take pictures of an actual plane and call it a model.  Good idea to show some of the kit indoors just to prove it was a kit.  Seriously, this is very nice work and an excellent finish.

On 6/22/2019 at 3:05 AM, ivan-o said:

Now that is really rather good! 👌

On 6/22/2019 at 3:10 AM, Grey Beema said:

Excellent, really well finished.  I think you have capture the grime on the TPS finish really well..

On 6/22/2019 at 3:49 AM, russ c said:

Brilliant job on that old kit Gary, really nice work

21 hours ago, Orion said:

As mentioned above. If you can turn this old Revell into something like your model, than you are able to tackle everything.

Regards, Dirk / The Netherlands.

18 hours ago, 72modeler said:

I am impressed- the paint and weathering are first-class and very representative of the type. I especially liked the tape lights- they look like the real thing! A shame we don't have an airworthy example to see and hear! Well done, sir!

Mike

14 hours ago, CJP said:

Nice Intruder model and photos good too

CJP

Thank you all for the very nice comments.  :worthy: They are much appreciated I assure you.  This model, my last finished build really, is about the best I've done in my humble opinion.   Perhaps the best that I can do, as it seems my meager skills have sort of plateaued; I'm sure I can never approach the beautifully done "works of art" that regularly appear on this forum.  I am humbled to even be included among such an amazing group of talented model builders.  

That said, it is a bit disappointing to see that this model had 718 views and still only 10 replies.   I do realize that the "like" button (reaction) does somewhat take the place of a written reply, and that's something to get accustomed to for me.   I appreciate those of you that used your valuable time to stop, take a look at the pics and then leave a comment.   Believe it or not, that sort of feedback is important too.   It helps the veteran builder and makes a huge difference to the young or beginning modelers among us.   Suggestions, questions, even constructive criticism, all contribute to learning more about building these hunks of plastic.

Thank you all for the warm welcome given to an old stranger among you.  I'll try to show other efforts as time goes by, and will hope that some will find favor in them as well.   And thanks for commenting my friends! 😀

TBH I wouldn't worry too much about what people say, how many likes etc, I think it depends on what is happening on the forum, Sunday evening is busy with people doing updates on what they did over the weekend - it's a big forum with lots of stuff to read through, Monday morning however is relatively quiet, I skim through and look at things that take my interest.  Being a Navy aircraft, I stopped and looked, many might not have their interest piqued by the subject line and scoot past..

As for skills plateauing, I'm sure they are not, I suspect it's about finding the right subject, the level of enthusiasm for it and suddenly you realise you have done better. ...

• Like 3

Great result Gary, I'm with the others on the airport photos. It looks just like the real thing 👍

any progress on your Meteor build?

kind regards Greg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Great result Gary, I'm with the others on the airport photos. It looks just like the real thing 👍

any progress on your Meteor build?

kind regards Greg

Thank you Greg!  🥃 That local airport gives me an advantage I guess; in that all the models out there look better than they do on a shelf. 🙂  I feel fortunate that I've been able to use that natural setting.  As for the Meteor, thanks for asking!   The prototype that I'm attempting to replicate did not have guns mounted and I have a photo that clearly shows fairings over the gun troughs.  I'm trying to cut and sand some stretched sprue into shape for the four fairings.  You know how stretched sprue always has a cone-shape where it begins to stretch?  That's the piece I'm trying to shape.  It shouldn't be too difficult to glue them in front of the existing gun fairing.   At any rate, that's the plan.  I'm certainly open to any other suggestions as to crafting those 4 pieces. 😀

8 minutes ago, phildagreek said:

That is very nice, well built!

Thanks Phil!  😀

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Parabat said:

Love it, love it love it. The A-6E TRAM looks best in those subdued tones and you've made a cracker. Looks brilliant, a superb job on the old girl.

Oh man, I'm glad you liked her! :worthy:  Actually, the kit had a few fit issues, but nothing that rendered it unbuildable.  It just took a bit of finessing and caressing and rubbing in the right spots. 😉  I was greatly relieved when it was pronounced finished.

It's not an easy model to move about either.  I had an issue with a couple pieces of the ochre yellow decal wanting to lift a few months ago and had to take it out of the cabinet for the fix.   Again, relief when I got it back on the shelf!😀

1 hour ago, F-32 said:

Beautiful work, looks very nice indeed

39 minutes ago, IGKent said:

Great job Gary! Looks as alive! Well done! :speak_cool:

Thank you gents!  😎

Spoiler

there is no surprise except for me...as in how this box got here and how do i delete it?  lol

The models seem to just look better at an airport.  I really struggle with indoor pics, so it's fortunate for me to have the airport setting only minutes away.   When the weather permits however. 😉   It's fun to see different looking skies behind the models.  For years I've thought about taking a model plane out there just at sunrise, and see what sort of effects the rising sun in the east would have on the airplanes.  That might be great with a NMF bird.  And another thought was to take pics just after it had rained; that got me to thinking about "scale water drops" on the upper surfaces of the model and on the tarmac piece.  😉

Edited by Gary Brantley

• 3 weeks later...