F229 - Bristol Beaufort

BlackAck

You may have seen a recent post of mine in the Frog Squad GB chat thread, so you already know the origin story of my second entry into this group build.

48100057751_3f7ed79807_z.jpg

She's very sad and very green.. As others have suggested I have looked at the other build threads of @Greg Law and the masterclass build from @AdrianMF and have come to the conclusion that "shake 'n' bake" this kit is not.  The first order of business was to order new canopies and cowlings.  Done.  I also washed all the parts in warm soapy water to remove the releasing agent residue.  The plastic is so thin in places that it'll snap under a stern gaze.

Edited by BlackAck
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

Great to have you with us especially with another Beaufort.

Great thing about not having decals is you can make any aircraft you want, so what's not to like !

I have the same kit moulded in the same "glow in dark green" it was made by Encore, see below

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/encore-models-1009-bristol-beaufort-ii--161541

Good luck with the build, nice rescue, I think he may have take $1.50 if you had pushed him !

cheers Pat

• Like 1

This weekend's progress:

48119861212_504f9b7c44_z.jpg

I simulated the framing with wire, drilled out the missing windows, and added a navigator's table which while adding detail also served to re-enforce the damaged front end on that side. This kit has already drawn blood when my xact-o slipped, which will slow my progress for the next little bit.

• Like 1

After a a few hours at the bench last night:

48126206572_0503c4bc6d_z.jpg

I need to replace the navigator's table as it is now too short and add a seat.

• Like 12

I've just seen those.  Great images by the way, very useful for detailing.  In fact I think I'll have to go back and fix some of the details on mine.

Life has been busy, but the long holiday weekend here in the US gives me lots of bench time.  Inspired by @Greg Law's wonderful cockpit shots and the arrival of the Tasmin resin and canopies, I rebuilt the entire cockpit.

48207057726_04ba85c07d_z.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Born to model.. forced to work.  Business trip this week to Downey, CA, the former site of the Vultee Aircraft Corporation factory and later the Apollo spacecraft assembly & testing complex. It was absolutely a massive site that is now just housing and a shopping center. I was working out of the old drafting offices which now house local government departments.  Really cool, but I plan to get back to this model tomorrow..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of progress on the 'fort, but work, graduate school, and my Auxiliary duties have been pushing this build and hobbying to the back burner.  I'm gluing bits together right now.

• Like 1

I how you will get it done. I will be pushing the deadline at my current rate. However, should I miss the deadline I will still continue with it and get it finished. 

My local hobby shop owner will be interested in seeing it done. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Apologies for the slowdown in this build.  Work, family stuff, school, plus a general flagging enthusiasm for this particular kit has prevented rapid progress.  

48673729682_7f4fc821ab_c.jpg

48673251253_fd1ac24620_c.jpg

This build has been the toughest kit of my time in this hobby.  It has fought me every inch of the way and then some. I want this kit done and off my bench even if I don't manage to complete before the group build finishes.  

• Like 8

As I recall from the 2 I built, it really is not one of Frog's better efforts in some respects, particularly the engine cowlings which are possibly the most inaccurate I have seen on any kit I have built in over 60 years modelling. Just getting it done is an achievement.

• 2 weeks later...

Just in the nick of time, She's done.  If you squint, she sort of looks like a Beaufort.  Overall, not a bad looking aircraft, and you can definitely see the evolution from the Blenheim to the Beaufort then on to the Beaufighter. I learned some really interesting things about RAF Coastal Command operations with a largely forgotten aircraft.

The kit? Shockingly bad.  Not for the faint of heart. Avoid.  For experienced modellers and masochists only.    

48771199436_51bd0bcd31_c.jpg

Edited by BlackAck
  • Like 9

Well done BlackAck, you've made very good work on a somewhat challenging kit. She certainly looks even more like a Beaufort with improvements you've included into this build. 

Cheers and thanks for taking part.. Dave 

• Like 3