F-16C

Ian

So after the B-25 I'm changing era's & scales  launching straight in to my next build, a Tamiya F-16C-50.

LZGnRyj.jpg

Will be doing a Spangdahlem machine from 2003, using an old Superscale sheet, adding the Eduard pre-painted etch set and a turned-brass pitot. Not quite OoB but close. Please feel free to comment, question and shout during the course of the build. Hopefully it won't give me too many headaches.

Have a great weekend everyone. Best from NZ.

Ian.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Primed with Tamiya acrylic grey straight from the rattle-can, then took some 1200 grit wet'n dry and rubbed it all back to a glass smooth finish.

Next I masked-off the area around the radome and sprayed the radome with Xtracolour enamel (yes ENAMEL) Neutral Grey. After it had dried I brushed on a coat of Johnsons Klear to protect it and later masked it ready for...

3SjQps0.jpg

VEqCEBf.jpg

H7l8Iyd.jpg

...the 'light black' acrylic base coat, which is where it stands now.  Not photographed are the ECM pod and drop-tanks which I've painted in Light Ghost Grey again with Xtracolour enamel.

More soon.

Ian.

Edited by Ian
  • Like 3

Paint on:

6T2vfeM.jpg

tgn5nWb.jpg

Hx2UAfU.jpg

UyD8YPi.jpg

Used my preferred 'Mk.1 eyeball method', Tamiya acrylics and a dash of witchcraft to get the tones. Let me know what you think, I'm keen to get some feedback on the colours.

Best from NZ.

Ian.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

And now available with decals:

aiSGOo6.jpg

M7hkHfV.jpg

Had to take a break from this and other builds whilst the 'little darlings' were off school on Winter hols. Anyhoos, they're back now and I can get-on with fettling plastic. Afterburner Decals stencils, Old Superscale sheet for the aircraft-specific markings, only used the kit decals on the drop-tanks and ECM pod.

More soon.

Ian.

• Like 2

Last photos before final assembly:

nqLvnUJ.jpg

LV1il42.jpg

yFzFkVk.jpg

First time using Tamiya XF-86 Matt Clear, cut 4:6 with Tamiya lacquer thinner - Bl**dy marvelous finish, best acrylic matt I've ever used !

Hopefully finished next weekend. Please stay tuned. Best from NZ.

Ian.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, whiskey said:

And this is all with a spray can?!

No, Zach, none of it is painted with an aerosol. Interior, drop tanks and missiles are all Xtracolour enamels. Camo is all airbrushed Tamiya acrylics but mixed by eye then post-shaded.

Ian.

Uh ok? I asked that because you stated it was straight from the rattle-can in your second post. I guess rattle-can means something different in the UK as that's a reference to spray paint here in the states. Either way thank you for the clarification and the build looks amazing so far. Can't wait to see the final product!

Thank you, Zach... cannot see the 'rattle-can' reference, maybe I edited it out. The only time I use them on aircraft builds is for clear coats before decaling. No matter, was able to grab a couple of hours this afternoon (it's Sunday here), the Falcon is now up on it's wheels all the nav & position lights are on as are the wingtip rails & missiles.

If I get time tomorrow evening, I'll finish-off the 'office' and spray the exhaust nozzle. Definitely on 'short finals' now.

Best from NZ.

Ian.

• Like 1

...unexpected and welcome day-off work, so finished the Falcon:

aijl2CJ.jpg

Thanks to those who followed-along. More pics in the RFI section.

Best from NZ.

Ian.

• Like 2