Airfix Lufthansa Boeing 747

I’ve just got hold of the old Airfix Lufthansa Boeing 747and I’m wondering if all the various incarnations of the kit were the same and had the same parts. The reason I’m asking is I’d like to build at as a British airways  aircraft as was featured on the box top on another release.

History of the Airfix Boeing 747 - courtesy of the Airfix Tribute Forum, History Section

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=854

If a kit is released with a change of or with additional parts it is often noted in the notes of the kit

5 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

The Airfix B747 kit has never been changed parts wise. So fill your boots changing the scheme.

Never say never - it had the upper deck windows increased from three to ten (or similar) around 1980, but I haven’t been able to exactly pin the date as I haven’t been able to find a Haldane Place Type 6 boxing yet; my fully French T6 has it, and I am pretty certain my T5 BA boxing not yet. Not sure re the Big Orange, and the Oz only Qantas boxing should be a bit earlier than 1979. As far as I am aware, all three LH boxings are three window.

32 minutes ago, tempestfan said:

Never say never - it had the upper deck windows increased from three to ten (or similar) around 1980, but I haven’t been able to exactly pin the date as I haven’t been able to find a Haldane Place Type 6 boxing yet; my fully French T6 has it, and I am pretty certain my T5 BA boxing not yet. Not sure re the Big Orange, and the Oz only Qantas boxing should be a bit earlier than 1979. As far as I am aware, all three LH boxings are three window.

OK,

I forgot about the upper deck windows. I was more thinking about the the parts count and outlines, etc

Thanks for setting me straight :D

Wow, you guys are a mine of information😊 who would have guessed someone would know the number of windows on a kit differs from one boxing to another? I’m not taking the mick, I meant that in the nicest possible way and it just goes to show the depth of knowledge on this site..long may it continue... as for the number of windows on my kit I’ll have a look when I get home tonight and I’ll post back the results... cheers guys

On 6/21/2019 at 4:49 AM, tempestfan said:

I did the Braniff kit when it came out, definitely three upperdeck windows. Revell's kit is much better detailed and more accurate. Seem to remember that Airfix drew up their kit from pre-production general arrangement drawings so it's a bit off in quite a few areas.

Paul Harrison