Hornet DH 103 mk 3 to mk 1 conversion?

Worms

6 minutes ago, mike romeo said:

Wow!  Great minds and all that.  A blob of filler under the nose and a bit of sanding is what I'm going to do as well.  It's surprising the difference that those changes will make to the look of the Froggy Hornet.

Regards

Martin

I think the blob needs to go above the point of the nose Martin...🤐

Hmmm.  It's difficult to tell, because there are no decent plans, but I reckon the point of the nose is too high 'as is'.  I'll have a ponder.

Regards

Martin

2 hours ago, mike romeo said:

Hmmm.  It's difficult to tell, because there are no decent plans, but I reckon the point of the nose is too high 'as is'.  I'll have a ponder.

Regards

Martin

I'll update this image later, but please see this detail of the canopy and windscreen that includes part of the nose cone.

37102581560_ec8a5a25ea_b.jpgHornet canopy by hornet project

• Thanks 2

Thanks David, that's really useful...I think I'm getting somewhere near...just a bit more on the top of the nose I still think.

spacer.png

the canopy requires major surgery though, might just have to pass on that. I haven't the knowledge to start making new canopies....I can't find any 1/72 vacuformed ones either unles anybody knows better?

Edited by Worms
additional info.
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Worms said:

Thanks David, that's really useful...I think I'm getting somewhere near...just a bit more on the top of the nose I still think.

spacer.png

the canopy requires major surgery though, might just have to pass on that. I haven't the knowledge to start making new canopies....I can't find any 1/72 vacuformed ones either unles anybody knows better?

Also, please note the windscreen is "frameless". I see so many Hornet models with grey/green/aluminium painted frames around this part, and its just not right.

The windscreen is made from three pieces of armoured glass. The lower edge of each sits in a fuselage colour aluminium casting. The rear edges of the glass are backed with a thin piece of black coloured A-shaped steel. The top is capped with a single aluminium casting, either black or aluminium in colour.

Between the upper and lower castings there are two 1/4" steel tie rods. These hold the entire glass assembly together, and are hidden between the glass panels. The only visible lines you can see between the three glass panels are a 1/4" line of black sealant.

• Thanks 1

Thanks David. Yes, I'd found that info but great work on the extra detail!

I'd anticipated scribing a fine line at the joins of the three sections on the inside and running some thinned black paint in to wick down the scribe line.

The rear canopy needs extending as there is no "pen knib" and the rear of the cockpit opening/upper fuselage needs that hideous bump removing.

Nick.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @Worms Nick

Have you made any more progress since we last heard from you ?

I have to say I admire your perseverance with all this conversion work, you are blazing a trail for others to follow should they which to follow your example in the future.

Cheers Pat  

Hi Pat,

thanks for your encouragement!

I've been working away for the past couple of weeks so the Hornet is sat as it last was. I'm hoping to do a little more on it this week once I've tidied away the e-mail collection that has accrued!

Back soon!

• 1 month later...

Right, finally...half a day off and I can make some updates!

Underside of port wing, flaps removed and landing light modified to be clear!

Undercarriage leg mounting shelf removed.

spacer.png

loads of work on the undercarriage bay in the nacelle with card and filler...

0C3Ywv.jpg

Starting fabrication of the undercarriage legs to look a little more like the real thing...

39Ci1C.jpg

A bit of work on the zorst manifolds..

0Rh529.jpg

Wings on and identification lights drilled...filler splattered everywhere!

UD3Vvt.jpg

• Like 6

Lots of work going on there Worms... certainly all worth it in the grander scheme of things. I quite like the line "filler splattered everywhere! ", who hasn't said that at least once during this GB? 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 4

Getting bored with the paint scheme for high altitude day fighter of pru blue and MSG...

Mossie scheme would look good...

I want to be realistic for a late 45 Tiger Force fighter....info is thin on the ground though...unless there are any secret snippets on here? 😁

1 hour ago, Worms said:

Getting bored with the paint scheme for high altitude day fighter of pru blue and MSG...

I want to be realistic for a late 45 Tiger Force fighter....info is thin on the ground though...unless there are any secret snippets on here? 😁

Interesting - no idea what exactly they would have been painted but I do know they started appearing in overall silver after the war according tp MJF Bowyer. I seem to recall that some Tiger Force Lancs were to be painted white on top - possible to reflect the heat? Somebody will probably know.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

2 hours ago, Worms said:

Sacrilege!!! 😋

However, are you looking to do a WHIF scheme?? Or just a different scheme for a MK1?

There are a few options.

Edited by David A Collins
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, David A Collins said:

Sacrilege!!! 😋

However, are you looking to do a WHIF scheme?? Or just a different scheme for a MK1?

There are a few options.

I was going to do a WHIF but I would happily do a suitable real life option to pru blue and MSG....The build is aimed at a Pacific theatre day fighter so WHIFFish, in that they never made it there but, I'd love to know what the real life plans were......and to answer Peter B's comment, yes, the black and white camo looks great on a Lanc but I heard rumours that fighters and other aircraft would be in different camouflage...?

As a p.s., were the insides of the wings/flaps in aluminium finish?

Do a whif! 

My best guess for Tiger Force: silver upper surface, azure blue lower and dark blue ID stripes.  Add BPF roundels for further insurance against friendly fire.

Pic to follow.

Regards

Martin

• Like 2

Probably does not help, but the reports I have seen said that the fighters they were thinking of sending were either the Mustang or perhaps the new Tempest II which was also about to enter service, but in the end the yanks said they would provide cover. May be wrong but I think NMF Mustangs were just beginning to appear in RAF service in 45 so a definite possibilty that the Hornets would be the same I guess. Also I have a vague recollection of silver Mossies in India at the end of the war.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Probably does not help, but the reports I have seen said that the fighters they were thinking of sending were either the Mustang or perhaps the new Tempest II which was also about to enter service, but in the end the yanks said they would provide cover. May be wrong but I think NMF Mustangs were just beginning to appear in RAF service in 45 so a definite possibilty that the Hornets would be the same I guess. Also I have a vague recollection of silver Mossies in India at the end of the war.

Hold that thought:

2019-09-05_09-52-17

Maybe not likely, but not implausible . . .

Regards

Martin

• Like 2

Problem is that over my 60+ years of modelling I have read lord knows how many books/mags/on line articles and only a few of them are still to hand.  The older I get the worse my memory gets but I guess that is often the case. Anyway, there were definitely NMF Thunderbolts in SEAC 'cos I just checked! Then again some of the old references are considered hopelessly inaccurate these days on many things  - Bruce Robertson's Aircraft Camo and Markings being a case in point. As they never actually got to the Pacific you can go with any scheme you like! I am hedging my bets with both a new grey/blue one and my old camo/blue one, but then they are F Mk 3 and this is an F Mk 1 so accuracy is a moot point anyway.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mike romeo said:

Hold that thought:

2019-09-05_09-52-17

Maybe not likely, but not implausible . . .

Regards

Martin

That's just toooo spooky!!!

My unfinished MKii Tempest with the same pilot!

spacer.png

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, PeterB said:

I just don't like the idea of silver on a Hornet though! 🤔

• Like 1