Hornet DH 103 mk 3 to mk 1 conversion?

Worms

4 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Did you also beat me to a Meteor IV a few days ago? 

Well at least you will do a better job on the silver finish than I have Dave.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Well at least you will do a better job on the silver finish than I have Dave.

Not sure about that Pete, I've lost count of the number of Mustangs I've ditched before I ended up with a good one! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Sounds like me - a dozen or so Roden/Eastern Express etc plus around 8 vacform WWI planes, some 30 years old. I might manage to build them but lord knows when.

Pete

....about 35 of different injection moulded makes from Airfix Camels to the HP 0/400, Frog Vimy, Eastern Express Sopwith 'Strutters', Revel Fokkers and Albatros' and that frighteningly exciting looking Roden Felixstowe.....200m of knitting in elastic glaring at me from the shelf....just daring me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bet you thought I'd forgotten this! 😁...I sort of hit a bit of a wall after some paint problems but I think they are finally resolved...

Made some oil tanks and fictitious markings are going on whilst I think of the canopy...a recurring nightmare for more than just me it would seem! I think I have found a sqn code not used and a serial no. also not used...or not recorded in my info anyway...VC, short for Vespa crabro...scientific name for the European hornet!

uWdKIQ.jpg

The markings aren't as wonky in real life as they appear here....

G4slME.jpg

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Ooh a challenge.  VC was used by B Flight 657 Sq (Austers) in the ME 1944, and No.1 FTS RCAF postwar.  Source Combat Codes, Flintoff and Thomas.  (There's no better.)

Oh drat....I just used Wikipedia....it is a WHIF after all 😁

49 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Ooh a challenge.  VC was used by B Flight 657 Sq (Austers) in the ME 1944, and No.1 FTS RCAF postwar.  Source Combat Codes, Flintoff and Thomas.  (There's no better.)

Ah, we're ok, they stopped using 'VC' in 1945...This aircraft was stationed in the Pacific theatre in March 1946 😉

crossed posts!

Edited by Worms
crossed posts
  • Like 1

She’s looking good Worns. Now although a Whiffer, I probably still would have opted for a ‘known’ squadron code combination of a likely unit that would have used these Hornets operationally. Either way, it does look the part with those SEA markings, so well done. 

Cheers.. Dave 

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

She’s looking good Worns. Now although a Whiffer, I probably still would have opted for a ‘known’ squadron code combination of a likely unit that would have used these Hornets operationally. Either way, it does look the part with those SEA markings, so well done. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave,

You're right, I could have marked it as a 64 sqn aircraft, the first sqn to be given Hornets but, only having been back in the game 10 minutes my spares box isn't too well supplied with spare transfers...I didn't have matching pairs of Ss and Hs 😋

I nearly binned this, I have been having huge paint problems.

The Tamiya MSG was fine, the Humbrol PRU blue was awful.  I have been having similar problems with the  Jag and the mkix spit!

The huge problem with the Hornet was Humbrol clear gloss varnish.  It reacted with just about everything and particularly the micro sol and micro set...orange peel crazing and nasty white stains that wouldn't wash off.

Tonight I found a  fix, good old T-Cut!

Phew, what a relief but, what a near disaster!

What clear varnishes do others use?

• Sad 5

So glad you’re recovery session has been somewhat successful, so sad when things go sour right towards the end.

Now I’ve been using at least two coats of good old Klear/Pledge for my initial gloss and protection coat and then another couple of coats of Tamiya’s Clears (various sheens) thinned with their own Acrylic thinner. I spray this on until I’m happy with the final sheen which can take quite a while to get right (for me). 

Cheers and hope to see this Hornet galleried soon.. Dave 

• Like 2

Never tried Humbrol varnish, but Xtracrylic works pretty well, unless you want a really matt "flat". There is a slight sheen which is probably OK for late war RAF and also for Japanese and German machines. Their "ordinary" ie non acrylic varnish can dry very flat, and if you overdo it you can get white deposits, though a thinner coat on top usually "dissolves" it and gets rid of the white patches, In all cases the trick is not to put too much on at once as it can build up at joints, like between wing and fuselage". As the books say 2 or 3 thin coats are much better than 1 thick one. Microscale Varnish was pretty good too, but I stopped using that a few years ago as it was hard to find and expensive.

"Nil Carborundum" as the saying goes - "Don't let it grind you down".

Pete

• Like 2

Thanks all, for the rest of the build I'm going back to my old fiddly varnish, Winsor and Newton Acrylic that I use with a hint of flow enhancer and my homemade acrylic thinner.

Dave, getting Klear/Pledge for a sensible price is almost impossible in the UK. I have found a dirt cheap alternative at the local discount store with what appear to be the same ingredients.  Works well on transparent parts...must dig out an old kit and experiment with it!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Worms said:

I'm going back to my old fiddly varnish, Winsor and Newton Acrylic

Somebody else who uses Winsor and Newton! I use their Artist' Acrylic Matt UV Varnish, thinned with tap water. Works brilliantly, best matt varnish I've ever used.

18 hours ago, Worms said:

getting Klear/Pledge for a sensible price is almost impossible in the UK. I have found a dirt cheap alternative at the local discount store

Are you going to give away your secret alternative Worms? ;)

Best of luck with the rest of the build!

• Like 1

On 16/10/2019 at 20:08, Johnson said:

Somebody else who uses Winsor and Newton! I use their Artist' Acrylic Matt UV Varnish, thinned with tap water. Works brilliantly, best matt varnish I've ever used.

Are you going to give away your secret alternative Worms? ;)

Best of luck with the rest of the build!

I have just built a paint mule...an Airfix mkiv Blenheim that I had robbed an engine from for a Miles Master Mkiii-ii conversion.

I have painted it with Halfords acrylic plastic primer from a rattle can and applied some Tamiya X-1 gloss black. I haven't given it more than an hour to dry and that stuff usually needs 3-4 coats to get a reasonable shine. It was a matt satin after a coat.

I have coated one wing with Winsor and Newton gloss mixed 50:50 with my home made thinner and the other wing has had a neat coat of Astonish...It works quite well with clear parts so let's see what happens!

SYCrMb.jpg

Vegan floor polish?...I daren't ask....

Edited by Worms
addition
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, mike romeo said:

We won't believe it unless we see the pictures 😉.

It's in the gallery...drink 7 pints of beer, squint and stand on your head and it still looks awful 😆