Hornet DH 103 mk 3 to mk 1 conversion?

Worms

Know what you mean - I was toying with idea for one of them but then stuck to the kit schemes. Silver is fine on metal planes but what would it look like on wood - some sort of laquer I suppose. It seems to me that they would have been either silver or SEAC camo, but that could be either green and grey or green and brown maybe - most probably grey. Unders would have presumably been either Sky, MSG or Azure Blue, but just possibly silver. The PRU Blue seems to have been Post War except for high altitube jobs, but that is I suppose possible. as is Deep Sky (blue) if you want something really different. I believe that was the equivalent of PRU Blue for use in the Med and warmer climes where presumably the sky is a deeper more vivid blue - I would have thought the Pacific fitted that bill. 

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, PeterB said:

some sort of laquer I suppose

Aluminium dope.

Was used on on late SEAC and Australian built Mosquito's, good for heat reflectance, as seen here

5626586193_0b74acc6b3_b.jpgSEAC Mosquito XVI        1945. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

Camouflaged Mosquitos were later streamlined in production to two schemes, night intruder, overall Med Sea Grey with Dark Green disruptive, or PRU blue.

as seen here during production

12838776694_5d0be5f91e_b.jpgFinal assembly of Mosquitos,  1943. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

Ones sent to SEAC had Dark Earth added on top with the Dark Green, staying MSG underneath.

Other version got camo at MU or unit level (eg Coastal Command strike aircraft)

These are your legit Hornet schemes

I thought I'd start my first thread with a group photo of the current work-in-progress Frog Hornet collection.

The intention is to have a model of each front line RAF squadron/relevant mark depicted.

To date the collection includes:

64sqn F1 UK high altitude fighter

65sqn F3 UK late scheme day fighter

19sqn F3 UK early scheme day fighter

41sqn F3 UK intruder cammo

33sqn F4 FEAF late scheme ground attack cammo

45sqn F3 FEAF early scheme ground attack

So, 6 down, and only one to go (80sqn FEAF early scheme day fighter)

29033986398_95b84031fc_b.jpg&key=f1bba61

A good Tiger Force Whif might be PRU blu underneath with Dark green/Dark Earth uppers with India White SEAC bands(India White = Light blue, made by mixing 1 part roundel blue with 5 parts parts white) as pure white was too stark.

HTH

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Worms said:

I just don't like the idea of silver on a Hornet though! 🤔

Silver on a Mosquito was bog standard in hot places; why not on a Hornet.

Standard on single seat Sea Hornets too.

I'd add roundel blue spinners and I.D. bands.

Edited by smellybeard

3 hours ago, David A Collins said:

Hi Worms,

The insides of the wings/flaps had aluminium finish. Also the MK1 did not carry rockets or bombs. It was a pure fighter armed with the four 20mm cannon under the nose.

Thanks David!

Yes, I have filled the rocket/bomb holes in the wings...too pretty an aircraft to have dangly things hanging off it...

....colour wise I am thinking pru blue undersides and tail with MSG/Ocean grey camouflage on the upper surfaces....that may change 😁

Hi Worms,

The nicest looking Mk1 in my opinion was PX252. This is the only known photo. Sorry its in Aluminium dope. It has type C and C1 roundels with red spinners and the squadron badge on the fin.

More famously there are artist impressions of this aircraft covered in 65 squadrons red chevrons, but the only "photo" ever produced of this as evidence, was actually a re-touched example of the grey/blue PX217.

PX252

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Worms said:

Here's a question to which I don't seem to be able to find an answer...Did the Hornet have a steerable tail wheel?

Hi Worms,

The Hornet tail wheel was castoring, not steerable. The twin ridge tyre design (same part as Vampire nose wheel) was an anti-shimmy.

• Thanks 1

Hi David,

Thanks for the quick response. So I understand from that...if the aircraft was taxiing and left rudder/more power from starboard engine was used then the tailwheel would turn to follow the direction of travel?

42 minutes ago, Worms said:

Hi David,

Thanks for the quick response. So I understand from that...if the aircraft was taxiing and left rudder/more power from starboard engine was used then the tailwheel would turn to follow the direction of travel?

Yes correct.

• Thanks 1

A bit more progress, this time an attempt at the radiator top covers extending back over the wings. Also the fuselage joint band which got sanded off...all made from baking parchment. These have been 'doped' on with diluted PVA glue.

I found an interesting source of transfers as well....ladies (and possibly men's) fingernail transfers...

nAZa2q.jpg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, mike romeo said:

Funny you should say that . . .

2019-09-16_09-48-28

. . . and I don't build jets, so why have I just put an offer in for a FROG Canberra!!!

What has this GB done to me?!

Regards,

Martin

• Haha 7

47 minutes ago, mike romeo said:

... so why have I just put an offer in for a FROG Canberra!!!

Because (besides the DH Hornet) probably one of the most elegant post war British aircraft ever made... and there’s a couple being built on here.

This actually opens up an interesting question. Who and how many Frog kits have we all bought since this GB started? I’ll pose that question in the chat section once I work out how many I’ve bought?? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 4

A bit of work on the undercarriage doors. They are a scale 6.3 inches thick where they attach to the nacelles...well, they were, now they are a scale 2 inches and a bit bendy!

wvMlcj.jpg

On 16/09/2019 at 21:50, mike romeo said:

2019-09-16_09-48-28

. . . and I don't build jets, so why have I just put an offer in for a FROG Canberra!!!

What has this GB done to me?!

Regards,

Martin

I've just gone and bought two more....from Canada!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Did you also beat me to a Meteor IV a few days ago? 

No, still not got into jets....it's only a matter of time though! 😁

I am amassing a frighteningly significant number of biplanes though, mainly WW1 but some between the wars stuff as well....

Edited by Worms
adition
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Worms said:

I am amassing a frighteningly significant number of biplanes though, mainly WW1 but some between the wars stuff as well....

Sounds like me - a dozen or so Roden/Eastern Express etc plus around 8 vacform WWI planes, some 30 years old. I might manage to build them but lord knows when.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2