Hornet DH 103 mk 3 to mk 1 conversion?

Worms

On 6/22/2019 at 1:44 PM, Worms said:

Phew, what a lot of reading!!!

Anyway, my rough views on the Frog Hornet so far...Nose needs lengthening (approx 3mm but ensuring spinner backplates are 1.3mm ahead of the nose) and re-shaping, rear canopy needs extending, rear fuselage needs extending before the tailplanes by approx 3mm but fin appears to be in the right place but the latter is a little short in height and depth....0..25mm extension to front of stbd nacelle...

...piece of cake, have it flying by teatime 😱

Struggling with fuse length myself.  According to the books I've read, the F1 is 37' 4" total length measured along the fuse.  The F3 is 38' 4", with the difference between this and the F1 being in the length of the tail cone.

The distance between spinner tip and nose cone is 2' 7" according to the DH GA drawing referred to.  That seems a bit low to me, but I went with it.

So, fuse length of the F3 should be 38' 4" - 2' 7" or 35' 9".  Converting to metric (25.4mm / in) and dividing by 72 gives me a model length of 151.3mm.  

Measuring the FROG fuse gives me ~148.5mm.  I plan to shift the tip of the nose down a bit by smearing filler on the lower nose curve.  This could potentially gain me a mm.  I also plan to bulk out the tail cone, which might make up another mm.  So, basically, I'm happy with it as it is.

Your F1 should be just over 4mm shorter, with the difference being in the tail cone, so if my calcs are good, you just have to take off about a mm there and you'd be good.

So, long story short, I'm confused as to why your fuse is coming out so short.  What am I missing?

Regards

Martin

19 hours ago, mike romeo said:

Struggling with fuse length myself.  According to the books I've read, the F1 is 37' 4" total length measured along the fuse.  The F3 is 38' 4", with the difference between this and the F1 being in the length of the tail cone.

The distance between spinner tip and nose cone is 2' 7" according to the DH GA drawing referred to.  That seems a bit low to me, but I went with it.

So, fuse length of the F3 should be 38' 4" - 2' 7" or 35' 9".  Converting to metric (25.4mm / in) and dividing by 72 gives me a model length of 151.3mm.  

Measuring the FROG fuse gives me ~148.5mm.  I plan to shift the tip of the nose down a bit by smearing filler on the lower nose curve.  This could potentially gain me a mm.  I also plan to bulk out the tail cone, which might make up another mm.  So, basically, I'm happy with it as it is.

Your F1 should be just over 4mm shorter, with the difference being in the tail cone, so if my calcs are good, you just have to take off about a mm there and you'd be good.

So, long story short, I'm confused as to why your fuse is coming out so short.  What am I missing?

Regards

Martin

Aha, now I am starting to  see the confusion...I used this information for fuselage length!

"For comparison, the Trumpeter hornet F1 fuselage is 222mm long, where as the actual aircraft should be 227mm in 1/48 scale. Their base model is 5mm too short, but the wing and tailplane are out of position aswell, making it much harder to correct.

Edited July 3, 2015 by David A Collins"

227mm in 1/48 works out at 151.3mm in 1/72 for the F mk 1 but, when reverting back from good old feet and inches at 37'8", minus 2'7" ( but different figures to yours at 37'4"?) does indeed come out at 148.5mm...or, spot on...

1 hour ago, Worms said:

Aha, now I am starting to  see the confusion...I used this information for fuselage length!

"For comparison, the Trumpeter hornet F1 fuselage is 222mm long, where as the actual aircraft should be 227mm in 1/48 scale. Their base model is 5mm too short, but the wing and tailplane are out of position aswell, making it much harder to correct.

227mm in 1/48 works out at 151.3mm in 1/72 for the F mk 1 but, when reverting back from good old feet and inches at 37'8", minus 2'7" ( but different figures to yours at 37'4"?) does indeed come out at 148.5mm...or, spot on...

Ok I'm still confused. For those of us with only one brain cell, is the Frog fuselage correct or not and if not, what corrections need to be made? 🙄

Clive the confused...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Worms said:

my mistake.  The F1 length is 37' 8" as you quote above.

Regards

Martin

5 minutes ago, dad's lad said:

Ok I'm still confused. For those of us with only one brain cell, is the Frog fuselage correct or not and if not, what corrections need to be made? 🙄

Clive the confused...

In length, it's "Good enough". For me at least.  It's nose shape, however...

3 hours ago, dad's lad said:

Clive the confused...

Yes....

....or no....

Nick the confused.

• Haha 1

This is all fascinating stuff however can I please ask, when someone does finally get the correct answer, can they please post it in large red lettering so that it stands out. I’m getting a little confused now, although can offer to measure up my Special Hobby kit if that’s of any use - probably wrong too now we’ve opened Pandora’s (Hornet) Box! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 1

Dave,  

How do we know when we get the right answer? 😉

That said, from the posts above, fuse length for an F.3 is 151.3mm and for a F.1 is 148.5mm.

Or 151mm and 148mm, respectively, to the nearest mm.

So, the FROG fuse at ~148.5mm is closer to a F.1 in length than a F.3.  

I am on my phone, so can't colour text.

Now, going from factual to opinion, I may manage to add a couple of mil to the length of my F.3 as part of my plan to improve nose and tail shape, but wouldn't care if my fuse stayed 3mm too short.  That's only 2% error and I can live with that.

Regards

Martin

• Like 1

Thanks Martin... how does this look? 

Fuse length for an F.3 is 151.3mm and for a F.1 is 148.5mm

2 hours ago, mike romeo said:

That's only 2% error and I can live with that.

mmm... glad you're not my pilot flying over the Himalayas at the wrong altitude!! 

Cheers.. Dave (all in jest of course). 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Thanks Martin... how does this look? 

Fuse length for an F.3 is 151.3mm and for a F.1 is 148.5mm

mmm... glad you're not my pilot flying over the Himalayas at the wrong altitude!! 

Cheers.. Dave (all in jest of course). 

I think that looks lovely, Dave. 😙

I am also confident that with all the hacking, filling and filing that I'll be doing on this kit, the dimensions when finished may only bear a nodding acquaintance to those extant when I started!

Regards

Martin

• Haha 3

I'm going with148.5mm....but I have to lengthen the nose by approx 1.5mm to get the spinner to nose measurement close. This shouldn't be a problem because the tail cone needs to be shortened a little...I may ignore the apparent tail plane too far forward issue...

Edited by Worms
Spelling

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 8:11 PM, mike romeo said:

Regards

Martin

Hi Martin,

I have some measurements for you taken from the DH component drawings.

The tip of the nose to the tip of the spinner is indeed 30.75" so your 2' 7" GA dimension is not too short.   

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, David A Collins said:

Hi Martin,

I have some measurements for you taken from the DH component drawings.

The tip of the nose to the tip of the spinner is indeed 30.75" so your 2' 7" GA dimension is not too short.   

Thanks, David!

16 hours ago, Worms said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Getting organised with the rad outlets and flaps...no new material,  just cutting and trimming the original. 

Nice work.  The wing profile looks much less agricultural!

Thanks Martin, the undercarriage fixing 'shelf' has now been removed from both nacelles too. The inside surfaces of the flaps are now being built up with card and stretched sprue to represent the reinforcement sections. The nose is a bit of a pig to get right though it'll have to be a compromise on length and shape I think....starting to get a bit carried away 😊

Right, I'm spot on 148mm with tip of nose to FSD correct at 28mm and tail cone to FSD at 120mm...The nose shape needs modifying by bringing the point of the nose upwards and making the forward edge of canopy to nose angle straighter. It's quite a curve on the Frog model....

....As you can see from my precision engineering drawing below...😋

spacer.png

• Like 3

Wow!  Great minds and all that.  A blob of filler under the nose and a bit of sanding is what I'm going to do as well.  It's surprising the difference that those changes will make to the look of the Froggy Hornet.

Regards

Martin