Hornet DH 103 mk 3 to mk 1 conversion?

Worms

Yes, yes, yes!!! 

As yet another modeller with one of these in his stash, I applaud as many Frog Hornet builds as possible. It'll be good to see what everyone gets up too so that we can all learn and laugh along should the build go either way.... we obviously want it to go positive of course! 

Judging by your status @Worms it appears you're a BM newbie, so welcome to Britmodeller and this Classic Frog Group Build. We are a friendly bunch, so please (besides modelling) jump on the keyboard and join in to all the fun. 

Cheers.. Dave (GB Co-host). 

• Like 2

Cheers Dave,

strangely enough I'm also halfway through a Novo Miles Master MK ii conversion (glider tug as flown at my local airfield during the war) and a Hotspur glider...probably a bit too far done for a build report but   interesting to see that their must be a lot of single engined Blenheims out there 😎

• Haha 1

Modified leading edge (right) compared with the standard block of flats profile, coincidentally, taking the excess material from the outer surfaces of the two wing halves gives the correct relief and profile for the air intakes.

All done as a dry build so far. More work to do on radiator areas.

spacer.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Basic shape achieved with the fuselage, a fair bit to do on the wings yet and tailplanes shortened (I worked them out as 8 feet or 33.8mm) nearly matching regarding profile.... The fin and rudder are much thinner than when I got the fuselage halves out of the box 😉

spacer.png

• Like 10

Thanks Pat,

It's a Frog version but I was going to do a tiny bit of 'WIFFERY' regarding decals if that's ok?....An intention of marking it up for the Pacific theatre as was originally planned for the Hornet...

Nick

• Like 3

Absolutely, it's your kit, variety is the spice of life.

Im trying to encourage an Israeli BM member to join us at the moment he's got a Hornet as well, which is going to have some potentially interesting markings.

Look forward to seeing how this one goes

cheers Pat

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Worms said:

Thanks Pat,

It's a Frog version but I was going to do a tiny bit of 'WIFFERY' regarding decals if that's ok?....An intention of marking it up for the Pacific theatre as was originally planned for the Hornet...

Nick

Although I'm not the biggest fan at WHIFFERY, a Hornet painted up in this scheme ticks plenty of boxes. I've lost count at the amount of times I've pondered building Tiger Force Lancasters in both pure bomber and saddle tank variety. This thread is getting better with each post

Cheers (with another yes from me).. Dave 

Hi and welcome to the GB.

I too have a Hornet to build and I'm hoping to use your build to get tips!

2 questions to start with:

How did you achieve the sharper nose shape?  Sanding down lower or upper profiles or both?

And,

How do you plan to get the wing roots on the fuselage to match your new slimline wing sections (which are a big improvement, btw)?

Keep up the good work. I only steal ideas from the best!

Regards

Martin

• Like 2

Hi Martin,  I wouldn't watch to closely,  I'm just winging it (😋).

I came back into the fold secretly and have learned 90% of what I am attempting from this group...having been watching from afar for a while!

The nose, was just a few strokes of a  file from the canopy to the tip of the nose on the centre line, hardly anything removed!

The wing roots will probably not be altered very much (apart from filling the awfully fitting starboard wing). The radiator openings rather dictate the profiles here. 

Split flaps may involve some jiggery pokey to the trailing edge section wing root...

...was tempted to modify with Fowler flaps as was tried on one prototype...

If I can do anything that helps your build I'll be both very happy and very surprised 🤣

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Although I'm not the biggest fan at WHIFFERY, a Hornet painted up in this scheme ticks plenty of boxes. I've lost count at the amount of times I've pondered building Tiger Force Lancasters in both pure bomber and saddle tank variety. This thread is getting better with each post

Cheers (with another yes from me).. Dave 

Don't get me started on Tiger Force...I stretch from local airfield ugly bombers to Pacific theatre spits, Tempest 2, B35 mossie, mk vii Lancaster, 9/617 sqn Bi special lancs ( what colour opportunities!)...etc. 😉

• Like 2

An interesting thought...

In none of the builds that I can find has anybody mentioned that the fuselage length of the Frog Hornet is too short...

I calculated 1/72 size from David Collins' reference to a 1/48 Mk 1 (227mm) to 151.3mm. I have shortened the tail cone a little to match photos but I'm woefully short in the fuselage department by 6.3mm or about 18"

🤔

Edited by Worms
spelling
  • Like 1

Nice work on those wings. They are like planks in the kit. FROG seemed to drop the ball on a kit every so often, and the Hornet is one of them. That doesn't stop me having one in my stash, of course...

Looking forward to how you get on with this.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Hi Worms

Oh well, I suppose that means another of my "out of the box" quick builds just got complicated - seriously though your wings look a lot better than the ones on my old Hornet so I guess I will see what I can do if I ever get my build started. Good work

Pete

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Worms said:

An interesting thought...

In none of the builds that I can find has anybody mentioned that the fuselage length of the Frog Hornet is too short...

I calculated 1/72 size from David Collins' reference to a 1/48 Mk 1 (227mm) to 151.3mm. I have shortened the tail cone a little to match photos but I'm woefully short in the fuselage department by 6.3mm or about 18"

🤔

Hi,

Just to be clear, is David specifically referencing fuse length?  If so, ouch! However, overall length would be an amount longer as the spinner tips extend in front of the nose cone.

Regards

Martin

9 hours ago, Worms said:

stick @David A Collins  in here, and he maybe able to shed some light on what could be tweaked where...

I' d be interested, as this is one of the very few 72nd kits I kept when I swapped some 72nd stuff I'd had since the late 70's for some 48th bits with a chap on here.

I also got a unboxed one from someone who won it at the club Christmas raffle and didn't want it .... which was nice. 

cheers

T

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mike romeo said:

Hi,

Just to be clear, is David specifically referencing fuse length?  If so, ouch! However, overall length would be an amount longer as the spinner tips extend in front of the nose cone.

Regards

Martin

I believe he was Martin, it was in his CA build of a sea hornet...from checking photos and scaling them down I reckon the nose is 3mm short, the canopy short by a similar length so requires an extra 3mm in fuselage length before  the tail fin. Unfortunately,  a 3mm longer canopy is beyond my skills...unless I have the canopy open and 'lose' that 3mm 

27 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

stick @David A Collins  in here, and he maybe able to shed some light on what could be tweaked where...

I' d be interested, as this is one of the very few 72nd kits I kept when I swapped some 72nd stuff I'd had since the late 70's for some 48th bits with a chap on here.

I also got a unboxed one from someone who won it at the club Christmas raffle and didn't want it .... which was nice. 

cheers

T

Hi Troy, 

That might be an idea, I'm fiddling with the nose a bit first with milliput. It's a  mildly frustrating aircraft to scale from photos because when you get a decent side on shot you can't see the tip of the nose!

Nick

7 minutes ago, Worms said:

Hi Troy, 

That might be an idea, I'm fiddling with the nose a bit first with milliput. It's a  mildly frustrating aircraft to scale from photos because when you get a decent side on shot you can't see the tip of the nose!

Nick

Hi Nick 

IIRC the profiles, and there are plans views,  in one of the Hornet book are actually too scale,  this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hornet-Sea-Havillands-Ultimate-Piston-engined/dp/1905414129

51u7es5sxYL._SX376_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Mines not to hand, but this was discussed here at some point

and off to google I go...  note, it's a lot easier to find threads here if you know they exist, and i have spent waaaay to much time on here, so tend to know what too look for, basically knowing what key words to add into the search term

these should help...

in particular this

On 30/01/2014 at 10:48, John Aero said:

For anyone else vaguely interested the Classic fuselage length should measure 190.5 mm from the tip of the nose to the tailbreak join. and the Hph should be 285.15 mm. with any 1/72 kits being 127 mm.

i believe @Jon Kunac-Tabinor  has print out of John Adams drawings, and he maybe able to give you some pointers, even if just some dimensions. 

HTH 

T

• Thanks 1

Briefly...I'll read it all in the morning,  I checked the spinner tip to nose tip with 3mm added onto the nose and I'm at just under 11mm....2'7"...woo hoo ( he exclaimed cautiously).

Many thanks for the links Troy 👍

Edited by Worms

Phew, what a lot of reading!!!

Anyway, my rough views on the Frog Hornet so far...Nose needs lengthening (approx 3mm but ensuring spinner backplates are 1.3mm ahead of the nose) and re-shaping, rear canopy needs extending, rear fuselage needs extending before the tailplanes by approx 3mm but fin appears to be in the right place but the latter is a little short in height and depth....0..25mm extension to front of stbd nacelle...

...piece of cake, have it flying by teatime 😱

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hi,

Overall length figures can be a bit difficult to check. Both my Shackleton and the plans for my Lincoln are bang on in terms of span but are a scale 4ft short in terms of fuselage length so I am beginning to wonder if the published figures might actually include the gun barrels as well? Anybody got any thoughts?

From the point of trying to get it in a hangar I'd have thought the overall length would have to include any projections including guns, pitot tubes, aerials etc...?

• Thanks 1