Bismarck decking

EwenM

Hello all, just bought a 1/350 Tamiya Bismarck, I’ve searched the net for a wooden deck kit, Sovereign won’t have one for 8-10 weeks and all the ones on eBay are coming from OZ or Far East, also tried Starling models they only had one for Tirpitz made by wood hunter...any suggestions where I might find one?

failing that I’ll go and buy a different model and keep the Bismarck for later!

Cheers

There are several on Ebay being sold by a company in China called Dawn Grocery Store .  I've dealt with them several times & always received the item within a couple of weeks & extremely well-packed .  They also mark the parcel as a gift & declare a low value so you will generally dodge any VAT or Post Office robbery .

43 minutes ago, rs2man said:

They also mark the parcel as a gift & declare a low value so you will generally dodge any VAT or Post Office robbery .

Perfect for defrauding the UK of tax duties and ensuring your LMS closes down...

1 hour ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Perfect for defrauding the UK of tax duties and ensuring your LMS closes down...

Sadly , I haven't had an LMS for a number of years although , when I did , I supported it as much as I could .

As regards the VAT , I would gladly pay that - it's the Post Office's 8 quid I object to .

18 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

You are joking ... right ? 

Absolutely not. This is a second business to me and I take zero personal income from it. It doesn't matter whether it succeeds or fails. I have another full time occupation, so don't kid yourself that it's just sour grapes. But others in UK resident businesses paying increasing business rates and corporation tax on top are unable to avoid duties and VAT and are dependent upon their business succeeding, and the majority of non-business owners working in the private sector also are dependent upon their employer's business succeeding, at least until they can find alternative employment when made redundant.

Foreign businesses engaged in the criminal activity of deliberately misleading government officials about the value of imported goods to evade taxes affects everyone in this country who works in the public sector or uses any public services, and everyone pays the price in other ways - UK resident businesses struggle to compete because they are unable to commit the same false declarations and are unable to sell goods tax free. They then fail and the nation loses another tax contributor. We all end up paying more in income taxes because business taxes are not collected correctly.

There is a reason for there being an administration charge for tax collection on private imports. A human has to do some work and like you, they expect to be paid for that and therefore someone has to pay them to calculate the tax and send the invoice. There is no requirement to use their services - you are quite entitled to find an alternative tax collector and use them, but their services are unlikely to prove cheaper because they don't work for free either - it's only mugs like me who do that.

If you can get something cheaper overseas fair enough, but let's not commend foreign businesses for making false declarations of value for tax evasion purposes. 

• Like 2

The OP has asked where he can get a wooden deck from and it appears it’s not common in the UK so it hardly impacts local shops or businesses. You then had a go at rs2man for his suggestion which I thought was weird and a bit rude tbh he was trying to help.

That’s is the only reason I asked, and as for the import tax / duty surely you can’t blame the customer if that’s the way a foreign company might do business.