1/48 Harrier Mk.12 conversion from CMK

WV908

On Hannant’s future releases section there is a Harrier Mk.12 conversion kit listed in 1/48 scale from CMK, to be used on the Hasegawa GR.7.

Bar this, I cannot find any mention of the conversion anywhere. Does anyone have any details? 

Cheers,

WV908

Edited by WV908
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Here you are - ref. CMK 4373 - Harrier T.Mk.12 Conversion set

Conversion set enabling the modeller to use Hasegawa GR.7 Harrier and build it into the two-seat Harrier T.12 version. The set contains resin cast detail parts, etches, vacuum-formed canopy hoods and a sheet of decals for two British options.

https://www.specialhobby.eu/en/1-48-harrier-t-mk-12-conversion-set.html

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/CMK4373

20111007102021155.png

201110071019630886.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, rodenlee said:

That looks interesting...does anyone know how this compares with the Heritage Aviation conversion?

Until I have it in my hands I won't know for sure but I have the HA set in my stash and from just the photos above the CMK kits looks way sharper and more detailed.

13 hours ago, rodenlee said:

That looks interesting...does anyone know how this compares with the Heritage Aviation conversion?

And to the North Wing Model Craft set

https://n-wing.sakura.ne.jp/secure/ProductDetail.php?iProduct=20

http://nmc.amuse-net.biz/Gallery.php?ig=1&jg=10&JpOrEn="jp"

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Homebee said:

£60 before postage!? And I thought Maestro took the Mick....

At £18 I think the CMK / Special Hobby set is a clear winner there.

Cheers,

WV908

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Boman said:

Vacuum canopy is a deal breaker for me. 

I'd have to admit that it would put me off too, I'd be happy to pay more to have a clear resin canopy included.

Also, isn't there a clear screen fitted between the front and rear cockpits (in case of bird strikes)? It doesn't look like this is provided by CMK. Even if it was it'd be a real pain to cut and fit accurately. While I'm sure that there are many on here for whom such things would hold no fears, I'm afraid they're beyond this modeller's abilities!

Pity, I'd really like a two-seat second generation Harrier for the collection.....

I think that it would be technically very difficult if not impossible to reproduce in injected plastic or in resin the bulbous cross section from the Harrier T.12/TAV-8 canopy.

I can accommodate vacuum for the tilting or sliding parts from a canopy but I really dislike vacuum for a windshield like the one of the Harrier.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

15 hours ago, Homebee said:

The North Wing Model Craft set has new LERX parts and air intakes.

That is not included in the CMK set. Is that not needed to do the conversion?

5 hours ago, Boman said:

Vacuum canopy is a deal breaker for me. 

the alternative resin one is not necessarily better!
if you manage the rest of the conversion, the canopy should no really be an issue :) . there even is a spare!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hopkp said:

Also, isn't there a clear screen fitted between the front and rear cockpits (in case of bird strikes)? It doesn't look like this is provided by CMK. Even if it was it'd be a real pain to cut and fit accurately. While I'm sure that there are many on here for whom such things would hold no fears, I'm afraid they're beyond this modeller's abilities!

Yes there is, it's fitted to the front of the canopy bow between the two side opening canopies just behind the front cockpit's ejector seat

Not that fussed by the vacuform canopy so long as it is crystal clear. The best thing about the North Wing set is that the cockpit is in two halves that should make painting and detailing a lot easier. I've mulled over the HA cockpit many times trying to figure out how I might do it the justice I could give to one that could be broken down and it all centered upon sawing it in two which caused me to put it straight back in the box. That said, given the cost, I'd much rather have to saw the CMK in half.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...