Tirpitz raid Lancaster

cherisy

Hi all

I am in the process of building the Airfix Lanc as DV385 "Thumper" of 617 sqn as she looked at the time of the Tirpitz raids using a Paragon Tallboy set.

Two questions: she carried the codes KC A and I believe T and V . What code letter was she wearing for the Tirpitz raids?

I've seen some photos of 617 Lancasters at that time that appear to have red codes outlined on yellow with the code repeated on the elevators. But can find no evidence that Thumper did.

Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks in advance

Lee

DV385 'Thumper' flew on the second and third Tirpitz attacks, piloted by P/O Castagnola and coded KC-V as per the 617 ORB.

There is photographic proof that on the first raid in September 1944 the Lancasters had the red codes with yellow outlines which were introduced across 5 Group in the autumn of that year, so they must have had them on the latter two raids as well.

• Thanks 1

Does anybody know of a source for the yellow outlined codes in 72nd scale?  I’m looking at doing Willy Tait’s plane from the third raid later this year.

Edited by Andy G
Added scale

Just been showing my wife this thread, her mother worked for many years with Sqn Ldr Larry Curtis who was on the Tirpitz raid not sure which one, does anyone know the aircraft he flew in, not often you get a commission to build from the Mrs!

1 hour ago, Seahawk said:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/RAF7203

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/RAF7204

(You may need the 36" codes if the aircraft carried codes above and below the tailplane.  But my recollection is that that was peculiar to GRAND SLAM aircraft.)

Thank you Seahawk.  

Edited by Andy G

23 minutes ago, matthies said:

F/Lt  Larry Curtis flew in the crew of Nick Knilans on the first Tirpitz raid in LK492, KC-W. 

Both 9 & 617 carried code letters on the tailplanes on the Tirpitz raids too.

Great info thank you, looks like a summer project coming.

A little late to the party here, but a very detailed source of information for 617Sq Lancasters is Stephen Flower's 'Barnes Wallis' Bombs' Amberley 2002. Every raid using Upkeep, Tallboy and Grand Slam is recorded, with all participating aircraft listed by serial, code letter and crew pilot. Some great narrative accounts of the raids, plus excellent pictures and maps. Most valuable perhaps for the modeller is the meticulous detailing of all the alterations made (meaning equipment discarded and changed) to the B1 Specials. I wasn't aware Lincoln wheels and tyres were used from March 1945 for example.

Well worth having.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1