N.A. RA-5C Vigilante, RVAH-5, Savage Sons, USS Ranger, 1972

Hi everyone,

Me again, come to bother you some more, with my latest effort:

xoNuqPj.jpg

My attempt at Trumpy`s 1/48 RA-5C Vigilante

WUWAhQx.jpg

Finished to represent an aircraft of RVAH-5, Savage Sons` aboard USS Ranger, on it`s final Vietnam combat cruise from a photo in Osprey`s Vigilante book.

PStyE1e.jpg

Built almost entirely from the box contents with a few embellishments, including: brake pipes, intake FOD covers, rear view mirrors.......

WZZiWG3.jpg

.......a piece of wire to represent a redundant blind rail on the front canopy that I noticed was still evident in several photo`s........

Uez7jz0.jpg

... and the usual dodgy home made seat belts.

gxnjmgR.jpg

I also noticed the rear canopy was a much lighter colour and had some blinds which were still used by the rear crew member that I also tried to represent.

ZFqzQKy.jpg

Decals are some from SuperScale sheet 48-1012, the stash and some from the kit. 

Fuu4MFT.jpg

The fuselage was joined using slabs of plastic card like a vac form kit and reinforced with bits of sprue. Lots of filler and sanding too.

Hope you enjoy, thanks for looking

Cheers Russ

• Like 63
  • Thanks 3

48 minutes ago, gazza l said:

Fantastic modelling as usual Russ. It must be quite a big beast in 1/48th!

gazza l

Thanks Gazza, yeah it`s the latest addition to the `Too big to go anywhere but I`m having one anyway` collection in the loft, along with the Skywarrior and Sea Stallion etc. 

More fun to look at than insulation though 🙂

Cheers Russ

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, russ c said:

Thanks Gazza, yeah it`s the latest addition to the `Too big to go anywhere but I`m having one anyway` collection in the loft, along with the Skywarrior and Sea Stallion etc. 

Cheers Russ

I'm looking to start one of those collections soon myself.   I just can't resist that Hobbycraft 1/48 Aardvark even though it's too big for my display cabinets.  It may well end up beneath a plastic wrap (Saran wrap?) "tarp", lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, russ c said:

Cheers Russ

I’m glad it’s not just me who’s got a ‘Too big to go anywhere....’ collection. I just bought a Mach 2 Seamaster without checking out the size first. Anyway, love the Vigilante. It’s one of those special ahead-of-its-time machines. You’ve got a brilliant result from that big Trumpy kit. Just going up to the loft now to dig out my old Hasegawa 1/72 kit....

• Thanks 1

Yowzah! Best RA-5 build I have seen in a long time- you have depicted the colors and normal wear and tear very convincingly, I think. It's a big bird in 1/72; I can only imagine how much shelf space a 1/48 Vigi occupies! Four-Oh job, sir!

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ian said:

Looks fine, Russ - bet it takes up a heap of shelf room, eh ?

Ian.

Thanks Ian, takes up no shelf space at all - it`s the latest addition to the `Too big to go anywhere but I`m having one anyway` collection in the loft, along with the Skywarrior and Sea Stallion etc. 

Cheers Russ

• Haha 1