This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Hi Gents,

I've just started a model of " old Ironsides " on the plans for the Gunwales they say it's painted Matt white but , what I've seen in pictures of her in Boston they are painted a kind of bottle green , I want to get it right from the word go . 

any suggestions will be grateful 

cheers 

I have been reading the thread on the Constitution over at ModelWarships.com.  There are numerous photos of a model of the Constitution built by the sailors from the ship as a presentation to their commander during the War of 1812, Issac Hull.  As it was built by the sailors who were on her, it is considered to be the most accurate model of the Constitution.  The bulwarks on the main deck are definitely green, but below on the gun deck they were indeed white.  Check out the forums on the site and you can get a lot of good information even if there is sometimes some sniping at each other between some of the experts on some of the threads.

Later,

Dave

Hello Dave,

Many thanks for that , any information is better than nothing. The model is only 1/445 , but I want to get as much detail on it as possible. When this project is finished then I'll start on my 1/96 model of Cutty Sark , for this I've got pictures and a detail rigging and sail plans but, saying that I shall ask the forum if I run into any problems.

Many thanks 

Niallmhor

Over on Fine Scale Modeler's ship forums there is a very good thread on the USS Constitution. It has been on going for several years. Lots of good info there.

Hi ,

Many thanks for that , I'll give it a good look .

many thanks once again gents .

Niallmhor

I started the 1/96 one once way back, I am from the Bay State and have been on Old Ironsides many times. Model Warships.com

has a build going on of that ship. Lots of good information. I myself want to do the ship my ancestors came to Salem Massachusetts

on in 1637. It was a ship about the same size as the Mayflower. It was the John Of London built in West Sussex in the 1620s and sailed

from Hull Yorkshire. Good luck to me in finding a picture and good luck to you on the USS Constitution build.---John(not of London though)

Hi Johnv,

I'm original from Kingston upon Hull many years ago , went your ancestors sailed from Hull the town was a very small place then and left from the River Hull via  the River Humber as most shipping then used one of 3 socks within the the town walls . Reference the John of London try our National Maritime Museum in Greenwich they may have the plans for this vessel , you never know..

Niallmhor

TY Niallmhor....my 7th great grandfather was born in Yorkshire...went to the "Colonies" got married and had

10 children. Helped populate "New" England....:)---John

Hi John,

Where in Yorkshire was your 7th great grandfather born in ?