USS Constitution

Hi Gents,

I've just started a model of " old Ironsides " on the plans for the Gunwales they say it's painted Matt white but , what I've seen in pictures of her in Boston they are painted a kind of bottle green , I want to get it right from the word go . 

any suggestions will be grateful 

cheers 

• 4 weeks later...

I have been reading the thread on the Constitution over at ModelWarships.com.  There are numerous photos of a model of the Constitution built by the sailors from the ship as a presentation to their commander during the War of 1812, Issac Hull.  As it was built by the sailors who were on her, it is considered to be the most accurate model of the Constitution.  The bulwarks on the main deck are definitely green, but below on the gun deck they were indeed white.  Check out the forums on the site and you can get a lot of good information even if there is sometimes some sniping at each other between some of the experts on some of the threads.

Later,

Dave

Hello Dave,

Many thanks for that , any information is better than nothing. The model is only 1/445 , but I want to get as much detail on it as possible. When this project is finished then I'll start on my 1/96 model of Cutty Sark , for this I've got pictures and a detail rigging and sail plans but, saying that I shall ask the forum if I run into any problems.

Many thanks 

Niallmhor

Over on Fine Scale Modeler's ship forums there is a very good thread on the USS Constitution. It has been on going for several years. Lots of good info there.

I started the 1/96 one once way back, I am from the Bay State and have been on Old Ironsides many times. Model Warships.com

has a build going on of that ship. Lots of good information. I myself want to do the ship my ancestors came to Salem Massachusetts

on in 1637. It was a ship about the same size as the Mayflower. It was the John Of London built in West Sussex in the 1620s and sailed

from Hull Yorkshire. Good luck to me in finding a picture and good luck to you on the USS Constitution build.---John(not of London though)

Hi Johnv,

I'm original from Kingston upon Hull many years ago , went your ancestors sailed from Hull the town was a very small place then and left from the River Hull via  the River Humber as most shipping then used one of 3 socks within the the town walls . Reference the John of London try our National Maritime Museum in Greenwich they may have the plans for this vessel , you never know..

Niallmhor

TY Niallmhor....my 7th great grandfather was born in Yorkshire...went to the "Colonies" got married and had

10 children. Helped populate "New" England....:)---John

• 5 months later...
On 6/19/2019 at 12:15 PM, Niallmhor4942 said:

Hi Gents,

I've just started a model of " old Ironsides " on the plans for the Gunwales they say it's painted Matt white but , what I've seen in pictures of her in Boston they are painted a kind of bottle green , I want to get it right from the word go . 

cheers 

Here are a few from June 2019 trip. May help. She is a beautiful boat. I would love to see the Cutty Sark and the HMS Victory.

IMG_2703 IMG_2706 IMG_2701 IMG_2702

I have some other pictures of the current interior also. Enjoy these

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Ron ,

These photographs are fantastic, they give me some idea on the rigging ( both running and standing ) looks like I've got my work cut out . Would there be any chance of seeing the interior photos of her ?

Many thanks 

2 hours ago, Niallmhor4942 said:

Hi Ron ,

These photographs are fantastic, they give me some idea on the rigging ( both running and standing ) looks like I've got my work cut out . Would there be any chance of seeing the interior photos of her ?

Many thanks 

Starting with the second deck

IMG_2733 IMG_2736 IMG_2746

Third deck

IMG_2753 IMG_2754 IMG_2758 IMG_2762

Top deck and exterior

IMG_2766 IMG_2768 IMG_2716

They're lots of modern stuff added for crew comfort. BTW this is an active warship with a large complement. I asked if there was a schedule for sailing. I was told yes but not known to the public.

Hope this helps for your build.

All The Best

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1

Hi Ron,

These photographs are really helpful to me in my build of the Connie .

HMS Victory is also a active warship , she maybe not a float unlike the USS Constitution but, she is he oldest commission warship in the world. You would like her but watch your head , if you come to the UK be sure to visit the third oldest warship HMS Tricomalee, at Jackson Quay in Hartlepool.. Many thanks once again be your photographs.

Edited by Niallmhor4942
Forget something
  • Thanks 1

Hi Ron,

I think the next sailing for the USS Constitution will be "Mayflower 2020"  when  the Mayflower comes to Boston Harbour to celebrate the Pilgrim Fathers journey from England to the New World in 1620 ( she was a gift from Britain to the United States in the 1950's.) 

Best wishes

Niallmhor 4942

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/19/2019 at 2:15 PM, Niallmhor4942 said:

Hi Gents,

cheers 

As you might expect, over 220+ years the ship has changed in many ways.    Complicating things was a major “restoration” in 1927 that introduced a number of errors. So the simple answer to your question is “It depends..”

Are you building the big 1/96 scale model or the smaller 1/196 scale kit?   
The Fine Scale Modeler ship forum is one of the best places to go for builders of the big Revell kit.   There are multiple well researched build threads there-  here’s a link to one of the best to get you started: 

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/7/t/146977.aspx?page=1

There is a lot of great info there that would also apply if you are building the smaller kit, too.

There are also a couple of wood kits that are well researched and accurate. The Model Shipways kit represents the ship as she looks now, while the BlueJacket Shipcrafters kit represents the ship during the War of 1812.  I think the MS kit’s instructions are available as a .pdf download.  

The forums at Modelshipworld.com is another great resource.   While that site has more emphasis on wooden models,  there is also a plastic section.  And a lot of the research and work done on a wood model is directly applicable to a plastic kit!

Hope this helps.....

-Bill

Edited by RC Boater Bill
Fixed old typos, added new ones

• 2 weeks later...