Another Lightning F6 WIP - Now Finished

bobsyouruncle

This is yet another Lightning (I like Lightnings) Work in Progress. Main colours now blocked in and canvas mainly covered in paint as a base to build up details and layers.

Another painting based on a Missile Practice Camp at Valley with a Red Top being fired low over Cardigan Bay.

Not done a vertical 36" high painting before (biggest previous vertical format one was only 30") so had to make a new piece for the easel to hold it steady.

Much still to do. Cheers Bob.

spacer.png

Edited by bobsyouruncle
title change
  • Like 17

Lightnings are great, no room for discussions 😊 your work is also coming along nicely and has all the potential to be great. Nice angle and great sea surface..

I shall follow you 😊

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just putting this up in response to the requests from Mackem01 and Head in the clouds.

You might not see an awful lot of difference between this and last time. 

The main one is structural, since the aircraft port wing has been dropped a few degrees.

I've also started to build up the rear fuselage, spine and added some cockpit detail. 

It's going to be like this, adding details in areas and building those up and then enhancing the whole painting overall (missile flame 'glow' and reflections, clouds, sea, effects, etc.).

Cheers Bob.

spacer.png

• Like 8

• 2 months later...

Prompted to post here by mackem01, thanks, I've been reminded that this painting is now considered finished.

Oils on canvas 60 x 91cms (36" x24").

The subject here is Lightning F6 XS933 of 5 Squadron, August 1987, firing a live Red Top missile at a Jindivik-towed flare package, low over Cardigan Bay, Wales.

Backdrop is looking towards Cadair Idris. Not pulling too much 'G' whilst firing, hence the absence of wingtip vortices.

Cheers Bob.

spacer.png

• Like 8

That came really well out Bob, I love how you’ve done the light effects and how you have managed to create the right blur to give a true sense of speed and drama to ti piece..

• Like 1

Thanks for the generous comments, gents. 

Actually, it's had a few amendments added since this 'finished' shot was posted. 

Somehow, I'd missed the UHF antenna that sits near the starboard side of the forward undercarriage bay (added now, but not seen in that image), plus some extra stencils on the rear fuselage.

I'm not sure what 'FYP' is, mackem, sorry.  I just tried googling it and it said 'fixed your post'? I'm lagging a bit with these abbreviation things.

I might get some prints done of various subjects. A good chap left the printers I was using before and I'm looking for another one which will be nice quality without being overly expensive for anyone.

Also, the paper has been hit and miss regarding remarques, so I'm looking for a nice paper that will handle remarques well.

Cheers guys,

Bob.

• Like 1