Magnifying Visor Recommendations

Tomjw

Hi,

Does anyone have any recommendations for a magnifying visor with lighting for close up detail work?

TIA

Tom

I can't recommend the OptiVisor highly enough.  I've had mine for as long as I've been back to modelling, and have only had to replace the lenses once after dropping them (clumsy idiot!).  The head-strap is adjustable, comfortable, and the visor is sturdy.  The lenses themselves are ground from glass in a plastic frame that can be switched quickly (if you buy more lenses), so the optical quality is excellent, and they won't be affected if you splash paint or thinners on the lenses.  They're also very hard to scratch, which you can't say about plastic lenses, which although lighter won't last as long.  I'm currently using their #5 lens, which I think is 2.5x magnification.  They're a must for me, and whenever I get time to do a bit of modelling, they're never far from my bonce :)

• Like 2

Another recommendation for the Opti Visor.

It means I can continue to work in 1/72nd rather than have to move up to blind bat, fumbly fingers bigger scales!

• Like 2

Another vote for the Optivisor.  When I received mine, I thought it looked and felt rather cheap and nasty but the bits that count are the lenses which are ground glass, not plastic.  Accept no alternatives.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mike said:

I can't recommend the OptiVisor highly enough.  I've had mine for as long as I've been back to modelling, and have only had to replace the lenses once after dropping them (clumsy idiot!).  The head-strap is adjustable, comfortable, and the visor is sturdy.  The lenses themselves are ground from glass in a plastic frame that can be switched quickly (if you buy more lenses), so the optical quality is excellent, and they won't be affected if you splash paint or thinners on the lenses.  They're also very hard to scratch, which you can't say about plastic lenses, which although lighter won't last as long.  I'm currently using their #5 lens, which I think is 2.5x magnification.  They're a must for me, and whenever I get time to do a bit of modelling, they're never far from my bonce :)

21 hours ago, phildagreek said:

I’ll throw a shout in for the OptiVisor, I got one about two years ago & it made a huge difference.

20 hours ago, Wez said:

Another recommendation for the Opti Visor.

It means I can continue to work in 1/72nd rather than have to move up to blind bat, fumbly fingers bigger scales!

17 hours ago, Seahawk said:

Another vote for the Optivisor.  When I received mine, I thought it looked and felt rather cheap and nasty but the bits that count are the lenses which are ground glass, not plastic.  Accept no alternatives.

All,

Thank you. Those nice people at Amazon are sending me an Optivisor as I type.

Many thanks for the advice.

Tom

• Like 1