Tempests over Normandy ?

I'm building a Tempest from 3 Squadron that flew over Normandy in late June of '44. My first inclination was to put bombs on it. But all the photo's I've come across show wing tanks or nothing ? No bombs, bomb-racks, or rockets ? So I'm now thinking wing tanks or clean ? What's the collective thought on this ? I cannot remember who the resident Tempest experten are ? I think the gentlemans first name is Chris. So if anyone knows answers or can help with this I'd really appreciate it. 

Dennis

Although it is sometimes pot luck as to what you will find - the National Archives have digitised many Squadron records for example

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7489508

for £3.50 gives some details about one pilot from 3 Squadron on 8th June. The free preview of the document might give you what you want.

Unless you know exactly what you are looking for sometimes the National Archives search facility can require a lot of scrolling though records.

• Thanks 1

As far as I am aware the RAF used Tempests only in the pure fighter role until after the war had finished. They began to be fitted with RPs to supercede the Typhoon and some of the US lend-lease types as they were withdrawn from service in 1945-47.

:rage: DOH .... So while digging around for a separate issue. I just found that Tempest Mk.V series 1's were not capable of using Rockets or Drop tanks. According to this link about 1/2 way down the page. Just above the Drop tank section, in the loadout area. 

http://www.hawkertempest.se/index.php/thetempest/armament-drop-tanks

Guess I'm going with a clean wing. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

:rage: DOH .... So while digging around for a separate issue. I just found that Tempest Mk.V1's were not capable of using Rockets or Drop tanks. According to this link about 1/2 way down the page. Just above the Drop tank section, in the loadout area. 

http://www.hawkertempest.se/index.php/thetempest/armament-drop-tanks

Guess I'm going with a clean wing. 

Dennis

I'm confused, the link has a picture noted as a Tempest VI with rockets. Did you mean to say Tempest V? They were cleared for rockets but according to your link didn't use them during WWII and drop tanks were usable on the Tempest V series ii

9 minutes ago, Chuck1945 said:

I'm confused, the link has a picture noted as a Tempest VI with rockets. Did you mean to say Tempest V?

No I'm just a yank that didn't type it correctly. I was trying in a weird way to say Mk.V series 1. I quoted the section from the web page. Particularly the bold stuff at the bottom. 

"Tempest Mk. V was tested and cleared to carry 8 zero length 60 lb ground attack rockets. But it was never used operationally during the war. 

After the war, when used on Mk. IIs, the rockets were often mounted on zero length hooks. The rails spoiled the aerodynamics of the wing.

Above rockets mounted on zero length rocket hooks on a Tempest Mk. VI. On the right a Mk. II with the rockets on rails.

8 x 25lbs RP

4 each wing

8 x 60lbs RP

4 each wing

8 x 10lbs practice bombs

4 each wing

8 x 25lbs practice bombs

4 each wing

2 x 250lbs GP, MC or SAP bombs

1 each wing

2 x 500lbs GP, MC or SAP bombs

1 each wing

2 x 500lbs Mk.2 smoke bombs

1 each wing

2 x SCI 500lbs canister

1 each wing

2 x 1000lbs MC, ANM59 or ANM65 bombs

1 each wing

2 x M.10 smoke bombs

1 each wing

2 x Type R, C or CLE Mk.III supply container

1 each wing

2 x 45 gallon fuel tanks

1 each wing

2 x 90 gallon fuel tanks

1 each wing

2 x 45 gallon napalm tanks

1 each wing

Note: Tempest Mk. V Series 1 could not carry rockets or fuel tanks."

So I guess mine will be clean wing or bombed up ? Though i haven't been able to find any photo's of series 1 Tempest's with bombs. 

Dennis

16 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

No I'm just a yank that didn't type it correctly. I was trying in a weird way to say Mk.V series 1. I quoted the section from the web page. Particularly the bold stuff at the bottom. 

"Tempest Mk. V was tested and cleared to carry 8 zero length 60 lb ground attack rockets. But it was never used operationally during the war. 

After the war, when used on Mk. IIs, the rockets were often mounted on zero length hooks. The rails spoiled the aerodynamics of the wing.

Above rockets mounted on zero length rocket hooks on a Tempest Mk. VI. On the right a Mk. II with the rockets on rails.

8 x 25lbs RP

4 each wing

8 x 60lbs RP

4 each wing

8 x 10lbs practice bombs

4 each wing

8 x 25lbs practice bombs

4 each wing

2 x 250lbs GP, MC or SAP bombs

1 each wing

2 x 500lbs GP, MC or SAP bombs

1 each wing

2 x 500lbs Mk.2 smoke bombs

1 each wing

2 x SCI 500lbs canister

1 each wing

2 x 1000lbs MC, ANM59 or ANM65 bombs

1 each wing

2 x M.10 smoke bombs

1 each wing

2 x Type R, C or CLE Mk.III supply container

1 each wing

2 x 45 gallon fuel tanks

1 each wing

2 x 90 gallon fuel tanks

1 each wing

2 x 45 gallon napalm tanks

1 each wing

Note: Tempest Mk. V Series 1 could not carry rockets or fuel tanks."

So I guess mine will be clean wing or bombed up ? Though i haven't been able to find any photo's of series 1 Tempest's with bombs. 

Dennis

The only Tempests used over Normandy (and then only briefly) were Mk V Series 1 which were not capable of carrying any underwing stores. Most Series 2 Tempest Vs were capable of carrying tanks, bombs or RP but, apart from 33 Sqn in he last two days of hostilities, (when they used 500 lb bombs) only the long range tanks were used. These LRTs were fitted for the vast majority of operations. The use of stores after the war is too complex to discuss whilst I am on holiday!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chris Thomas said:

The only Tempests used over Normandy (and then only briefly) were Mk V Series 1 which were not capable of carrying any underwing stores.

Thank you Chris for confirming, sorry for bothering you please enjoy your holiday. Looks like it's definitely clean wing.