JjtMGbv.jpg

gBZKNSl.jpg

t9vJfcR.jpg

kuYPeTP.jpg

06l1tPw.jpg

qBmmxW1.jpg

ir4fuv6.jpg

9he6Xsh.jpg

So here's my take on the Airfix B-25. One of my all-time favourite aircraft. Let's start with the kit, I could do pages on the fit, the quality of the engineering, the 'buildability' etc, etc. So long story short, folks, it's bl**dy superb - what you see here is precisely what comes in the box, cannot recall enjoying a build as much as I enjoyed this one is many years. 

I have tried two new techniques in the build - first time using the marbling technique for adding texture into the paint finish and first time using oil paints to dry-brush and fade the upper panels. First attempts aren't always successful, so I'll leave it to you folks to decide how I've done. If anyone is interested the build thread is here:

Not much else to say, the 'sand' colour was mixed by eye using 'Dark Yellow' and 'Flesh' and possibly some luck and / or witchcraft. The Olive Drab had a couple of drops of Tamiya 'Deep Green' added and the underside grey is Tamiya's recent 'Medium Sea Grey' which to my eye is closer to the USAAF Neutral Grey. Thanks for taking the time to look and / or comment. Please feel free to hurl abuse, ask a question or make a comment - all welcomed.

AFN, on to the next build (a grey jet). Best from a chilly Middle Earth.

Ian.

• Like 53

Brilliant work on that Mitchell! She looks beautiful! One of these days, I must do a USAAF aeroplane with the red-surround on the insignia.

Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1

That looks superb!

I'm not that familiar with the techniques you mentioned, but (to me) they have imparted great realism to the finish.

As good a B-25 as I've seen.

I'm tempted to get Airfix's kit - it seems to compare well with Hasegawa's, which I have built.

:goodjob:👍

• Like 1

Lovely job my old mucka, you've certainly done the kit justice, great scheme and weathering.  The marbling certainly adds depth and tone to the finish and I agree, oils (combined with pastels) really are the best way to achieve realistic weathering. Looking forward to seeing what else issues forth from the Shire ...grey jet eh?

Edited by general melchett
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Farnarkle said:

Hey Ian, where did you manage to squirrel away the ballast to keep her on 3 pins? curious to know as I have a kit and a cursory look seems to leave precious little space. 

Regards,

Ian in Oz

If you follow the link to the WiP thread, you'll see it there. Trust me you need a shed-load 😉

Ian.

Edited by Ian

Lovely Mitchell Ian. Beautifully finished and weathered - looks sandblasted, dusty and faded as one would expect in the middle east.

Cheers

Malcolm

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Ian said:

first time using the marbling technique for adding texture into the paint finish

Pardon my naiviety, what is marbling? Thanks

Martin

What a fantastic Mitchell.

You've done a fantastic job on a great kit ( I built a Soviet one last year and thoroughly enjoyed it ), your paint work is really good and the weathering looks good to me. This is also a great scheme and something a bit different from OD/NG.

Very well done. 

• Thanks 1

Lovely build. I'm sold on the kit for sure now so must get one soon.

By the way anyone going to watch the new  TV version of Catch 22 with George Clooney? Starts tomorrow night (Thursday 20th at 9.pm on Ch4) 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...