Abbot SPG

Niallmhor4942

Hi all,

Can anybody tell me beside AA, does any other manufacturers do a Abbot SPG ? Having worked on them in 70s I thought it would be nice to build one but at the price that AA charge I'm looking for a cheaper option

Sadly. no.  And before anyone asks there is no reasonable hope of cross-kitting the old Nichimo offering with a Takom 432.

It is to be hoped that Takom might see the light and do an Abbot, having tooled the suspension already.  It is also to be hoped that they further exploit the 432 tooling for other 43x variants.  I believe others have been rumoured, including the Peak and Fox turret variants.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/06/2019 at 09:55, Das Abteilung said:

Sadly. no.  And before anyone asks there is no reasonable hope of cross-kitting the old Nichimo offering with a Takom 432.

It is to be hoped that Takom might see the light and do an Abbot, having tooled the suspension already.  It is also to be hoped that they further exploit the 432 tooling for other 43x variants.  I believe others have been rumoured, including the Peak and Fox turret variants.

Accurate Armour do the two turrets as conversion sets, as well as the Mortar carrier and Ambo sets for the takom kits. I have the Ambo set. Also an AA Fox kit I picked up cheap as its easier to convert the Takom kits top decl than use the one on the AA kit?

Julien

Sadly I think we are whistling in the wind here!

Tamiya has given us a Chieftain Mk?,AFV Club &Revell Scimitar/Scorpion and now Takom has teased with their Chieftain Mk’s.

None or these have shown any intention to do the likes of AVRE/AVLB or ARRV,instead we got a prototype of a AA SPG! for the Chieftain kits 😡

AFV Club even had a Spartan in their instructions of the Scimitar but again no follow up.

At least now we do have a 432 and Bulldog but I won’t hold my breath in the hope of much else.

Ivan.

• Like 1

I think it's all down to money and cost to produce a new moulds but , saying that they make new moulds for Tigers, Panthers, Panzer 3, Stug, early ,Mid and late . The market is swamped with models of  German, Russian and Chinese military models in some shape and form. If I see another model of the above vehicles I will scream. The market is catered for the above and British Army vehicles must come a long way down the list .

• Like 2

Well, wherever the army stores the silver from laid-up regiments there is a silver model of an Abbot.

My father was with 25 Regiment Royal Artillery and his mess bill included an automatic deduction to add a silver replica of their 'new equipment' to the Regimental collection.

He suspected that as he was on the strength for a few years he probably owned more than 10% of the thing.

If you ever get aa chance to look closely at the vehicle and equipment models made for regiments please take up the offer and savour the craftsmanship.

Amazing work. The ones I have seen seemed to be 1/40th to 1/50th scale, usually on a very nice wooden base to adorn the tables on Dinner Nights.

Also I think S&S made an Abbott kit from resin and white metal some years ago, probably 1/72 scale.

If any exist they too must be collectors items.

No help to us nowadays, of course. 

John

Hi John ,

I've seen silver Regimental pieces in Woolwich of the FH70, M109A2, Abbot and believe it or not a silver model of the Rock of Gibraltar! This came from 21 Missile Battery RA after it disbanded in Germany , the detail work on all these pieces was superb it was like they took a real  FH70 and rebuilt it in silver .

Niallmhor

Thanks for that  but it's a bit on the small size for what I'm looking for , I think it would be lost on my shelf with my other model guns . But thanks all the same .

Niallmhor

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Wagtail,

I never got round to building this kit of the FH70 , was a bit busy taking pictures of you lot firing the thing , but I did catch the shell as it left the muzzle brake on Otterburn one firing camp . And I still have the picture along with a photo of the Abbots firing when we where back in BAOR in 1990 .

On 7/30/2019 at 1:08 AM, Niallmhor4942 said:

Hi Wagtail,

I never got round to building this kit of the FH70 , was a bit busy taking pictures of you lot firing the thing , but I did catch the shell as it left the muzzle brake on Otterburn one firing camp . And I still have the picture along with a photo of the Abbots firing when we where back in BAOR in 1990 .

Hi mate

Otterburn brings back memories, mostly of trying to survive endless waves of midges! I was with 27fd at Topcliffe so Otterburn was our closest location for live firing, we were up there two or three times a year. If I remember right one of the gun positions was just up on a slope where we fired straight over the main road which runs past the camp. Happy days but a long time ago!