Question about Saab Safir cockpit arrangement

upnorth

Hi all,

Very recently, I bought the newest reissue of Heller's 1/72 Saab Safir and have decided to do it up in the Austrian air force markings that come in the kit.

I've been looking without much luck for pictures of the rear cockpit of these aircraft as they were in service. Most specifically, was the extra fuel tank taking up the cockpit behind the pilot a standard feature in Austrian machines or were they later models with four seat cockpits? Most references I've found say the Austrians had the D model, and I understand those didn't have the cockpit tank.

The kit has that structure molded as part of the cockpit floor piece and the few photos I can find of Austrian Safirs that show a bit of the cockpit are rather ambiguous as to what's there.

I think enough can be seen through the canopy that I should make some effort for it to resemble what really was.

If the Austrian Safirs were the four seat version, can anyone point me to a few pictures of the rear cockpit positions so I can scratchbuild the correct arrangement?

Thanks in advance

Hello upnorth,

I've flown a Safir (SAAB 91D) here in Finland. At least our planes never had an extra tank in the cockpit. That big box behind left pilot's seat was packed with avionics. I have an old technical handbook but I'm not sure whether I got any photos showing the rear seat. I will check my archive.

Kind Regards,

Antti

af9e6103-4bcf-46bb-ae7b-adb673b9d045.jpg

spacer.png

Two photos showing the cockpit area but unfortunately not providing any info about the rear seat area. SF-22 performed as one in a four Ex. Finnish Air Force Safir formation in an air show held at Turku last weekend. Man, that looked beautiful! I nearly ended up buying SF-22 in the 1990s but it didn't materialize. The windows aren't tinted but an orange film is attached on inner surfaces. When the crew wears blue-green sun glasses they can't see much of the world outside. You can log Night Flying Time in broad daylight!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And here you have some drawings from the original factory manual (STC 91). I will check further if I can find cockpit photos.

Kind Regards,

Antti

• Like 1

On 6/18/2019 at 8:49 PM, upnorth said:

Hi all,

Very recently, I bought the newest reissue of Heller's 1/72 Saab Safir and have decided to do it up in the Austrian air force markings that come in the kit.

I've been looking without much luck for pictures of the rear cockpit of these aircraft as they were in service. Most specifically, was the extra fuel tank taking up the cockpit behind the pilot a standard feature in Austrian machines or were they later models with four seat cockpits? Most references I've found say the Austrians had the D model, and I understand those didn't have the cockpit tank.

The kit has that structure molded as part of the cockpit floor piece and the few photos I can find of Austrian Safirs that show a bit of the cockpit are rather ambiguous as to what's there.

I think enough can be seen through the canopy that I should make some effort for it to resemble what really was.

If the Austrian Safirs were the four seat version, can anyone point me to a few pictures of the rear cockpit positions so I can scratchbuild the correct arrangement?

Thanks in advance

hi!

unfortunately the Safir is not my strength yet.... I have the Tarangus kit in the stash, but that is it.... I saw the Team 2000 fly several time in the early 2000 though...

as far as I know, they were 4 seaters, see also here-

http://www.gotech.at/saab_91d_safir.htm:

saab_91d_safir_3f-sp(c)bundesheer.jpg

saab_91d_safir_3f-sj(c)mydza.jpg

saab_91d_safir_projekt_safir_pic8.jpg

saab_91d_safir_3f-sr(c)anton_wildberger.

saab_91d_safir_3f-su_oe-kcd(c)michael_pr

@Reini78, maybe you have better info?!

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 2

All the Austrian Safirs were 4-seaters. I think they had standard interior.

Back then when my dad built his model, I can´t remember finding a good pic of the cockpit rear of an Austrian machine.

At least here you have some info and walkaround pics.

http://www.gotech.at/saab_91d_safir.htm

http://kitchecker.de/walkaround-saab-91d-safir/

and here´s my dad´s model

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234983355-148-tarangus-saab-91d-safir-austrian-airforce/&tab=comments#comment-2012983

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great photos exdraken, thank you for sharing🙂

Have you guys noticed that Safir and Bucker Bestmann look basically the same? Safir was designed by engineers who worked also for Bucker (I can't remember which was designed first).

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1