The First..... Proposed GB - Seven and counting

Paul821

One of my modelling themes is planes based in East Anglia and this does include the experimental base at Martlesham. However this proposal was spurred on by two things. The first was the current Frog GB which reminded many of the excellent series of Trailblazer kits and the second was the first episode of the new run of Top Gear when the presenters had to complete the challenge in a version of the first car they owned.

As there was a "Prototypes, Experimentals, World Firsts & Record Breakers GB" as recently as 2017, which had just over 20 builds completed, my proposal is slightly wider. As long as the subject of your build has a back story that includes the claim to be first at/of something it could be included. So it could be personal to you - the first (type of) plane you flew in, your first car etc. It could be the first of something into service action etc. I feel that there are enough possibilities to justify the GB.

My current thoughts are that this would encourage me to build my Matchbox Heyford as the first plane detected by Radar.in 1935.

Currently Interested:

1            Paul821

2            zebra

3            CliffB

4            MarkSH

5            JOCKNEY

6            Graham77

7            Angus Tura

• Like 1

Yes, yes, yes!  Almost certainly a prototype of some sort from me (although I may be tempted by an Alitalia DC9 - my first commercial flight).

Cheers

Cliff

Sounds good, maybe the Special Hobby Gloster E28/39 and/or the Tamiya Bell X1 I've been looking for excuses to dig both out of the stash.

• 3 months later...

Yes please I took part in the last one with a supermarine 224, my first vacform build.

Variety was amazing and offered an opportunity to builds some kits which otherwise would remain unbuilt.

Cheers Pat 

• 1 month later...

I think this one deserves a bump, it far to good an idea to be languishing off the first page.

Come Ladies and Gentlemen this is a chance to build something out of the ordinary, get your creative thinking caps on and join up !

cheers Pat

I have two possibilities. First is NAA;s NA-73X from AM's 1/48 Mk1A Mustang kit plus resin bits to back-date it. Also Grumman's G-98, (a.k.a.,  XF9F-9, the F11F prototype) from Lindberg's 1/48 F11F kit, which mostly just needs a cockpit.

Count me in.

A bit of an indulgent entry from me, my first ever Drag Race on a proper Dragstrip.

We were at Santa Pod back in the eighties or early nineties, watching the racing at a run what you brung meet, when a good mate of mine threw me his keys and said 'Give it a go, I've never seen my car in action before' His car was a freshly restored 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner, with a 383 and a four speed! There's a few firsts here, First time on a Dragstrip, first time with a four speed manual gearbox in a Muscle Car and first time anyone's been that generous to me! What could possibly go wrong?

First-Drag-Race.jpg

I was so nervous I managed to power shift from first to fourth with my first gear change. That explains the appalling time I ran. I coasted in fourth from about half track. After everyone had stopped laughing at me I was told to have another go! This time I got a 16 dead out of it, using all the gears on this occasion. The car was good for low fifteens with the owner driving, so I was happy enough with my effort.

A truly memorable first for me, and perfect for this GB. I'll be using a Round Two re-issue '68 Roadrunner here.

Tony.

• Like 2

Okay? OK, maybe ...

At a personal level ....

Maybe a current version of my first kit?  My first kit was the old Airfix Defiant, so maybe a modern Airfix Defiant ?
First car? Not kitted.

But flight with hand on? An ASK 21 (glider), Revell make (made) those.

• Like 1