Harrier GR3 Ascension Island

delticfan

6 hours ago, CT7567 said:

So is the confirguration in Airix's kit with only two fins (downward pair at 45 degrees either side of centerline) an error? I notice in @canberra kid's photo it looks like the tank only has the lower fins, but looking closely it appears the upper fins are there, just mostly obscured by the wing.

I believe so as there is a photo in SAM Vol3 no12 captioned as taken in Malta in 1973 which shows the four fins, also another undated one taken at Wildenrath which shows the four fins. These and the one mentioned above are the only photos I can find of the large tanks and all show four fins. From memory I'm not sure the Airfix fins are even at 45 degrees as I removed them and built my own set of four and I usually take the easy option if there is one.

The long range tanks (Ferry tanks) consisted of four parts.  Front, Centre, Rear and the Tail Cone.  The latter was fitted with four fins riveted on with brackets at the front of the fins for riveting on to the rear part.  They were permament fit.  None of the long range tanks were ever fitted with just two fins.

Attached a shot of XV760 in ferry configuration in 1977 for a deployment to Belize.  The aircraft was a reserve machine and was not required to go.  The configuration of the four fins is shown.

spacer.png

HTH

Dennis 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

On 6/18/2019 at 10:53 PM, NG899 said:

I've been endeavouring for years to get someone to make 330s as after-market items in 1/48th and 1/72nd and I may just have a taker in the offing with the new Kinetic GR1/3 due for release before December...

You can only imagine how happy I am to read this Nick. Been trying to source these and better info for a very long time now. @canberra kid the Ascension photo is exactly what I've been looking for. 

Thank You both so much.

• Like 1

I'm still working on it! The difficulty is that solid resin ones would be very heavy for the u/c whether in 72nd or 48th, hence contemplating vac formed items.

If people can let me know here how many they need in each scale it may strengthen my case... NO promises being made, but I'll do my best!

John, your last photo of XV743 has it with 1(F) Sqn markings and fin codes. Had it transferred to 3(F) or...?

Dennis, I take it the colours of the tanks are DSG and LAG, or DSG overall, even though in some images the DSG looks more like EDSG and the LAG more like white; correct?

Thanks all.

Nick

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NG899 said:

I'm still working on it! The difficulty is that solid resin ones would be very heavy for the u/c whether in 72nd or 48th, hence contemplating vac formed items.

If people can let me know here how many they need in each scale it may strengthen my case... NO promises being made, but I'll do my best!

John, your last photo of XV743 has it with 1(F) Sqn markings and fin codes. Had it transferred to 3(F) or...?

Dennis, I take it the colours of the tanks are DSG and LAG, or DSG overall, even though in some images the DSG looks more like EDSG and the LAG more like white; correct?

Thanks all.

Nick

Nick

Correct - the colours of the tanks were Matt DSG/LAG.  I cannot recall ever seeing any Gloss ones.  As I said in my mail, trying to differentiate between EDSG and DSG from a photo has proven problematical over the years.  Similarly, trying to differentiate between the two colours "up close and personal" is almost just as difficult especially if the Sun is not out.  If it is out then it is fairly obvious but still difficult to show in a photograph.  As an aside it is a bit like trying to differentiate between Insignia Blue and Black inscriptions and tail serial blocks on (usually) Grey painted USAF F-4's.  I tried to photograph the comparison once on a freshly painted 57FIS F-4E fresh from Getafe by using the Armament placard (Black) and the "U" in "U.S. AIRFORCE" (Insignia Blue) on the same slide.  The resultant slide when scanned has to be lightened considerably to show any difference.

Light Aircraft Grey is another PIA Grey.  The bottom photo above put up by John @canberra kid illustrates LAG when lit up from below, probably a reflection from concrete or even a field of corn.  There is a famous much published mono photo of a Canberra PR9 where to all intents and purposes the undersurface can only be a very Light Grey and which has led to the misconception that PR9's were DSG/DG/LAG.  Not so.  The photo referred to is a crop from a larger photo showing the PR9 flying over a brightly lit cloud.

It may surprise you all to know but when the fabulous 892NAS finally left Leuchars, the majority of the aircraft had the tailplanes finished in DSG uppers with either White or LAG under surfaces. A few has DG areas on as well  At least three had the ailerons finished in DSG/DG/LAG but most had them finished in DSG/either White or LAG.  The day they left was typical Leuchars "clag" for April and it was nigh on impossible to differentiate between the two colours.  ....And I was "up close and personal" with my cameras.

In my opinion and from my own "on site" observations, lightly faded EDSG and fairly fresh DSG are virtually the same colour apart from the "blue haze" in EDSG is slightly bluer than that in DSG - but only by Mk.1 eyeball.  

Even the late great Dick Ward was somewhat confused over it and on several of his sheets that were reprinted, changed the RN Phantom upper colours from EDSG to DSG and then back again with the third reprinting.  Clever Lad - not a word in the narrative - just the upper surface labelled one or t'other.

Sorry to have rambled on a bit, must get some Dinner.

HTH (a bit)

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 09/07/2019 at 08:47, NG899 said:

Thanks all.

Nick

Hi sorry for the tardy reply but I would love two pairs in 1/72

Regards 

Keith

On 7/17/2019 at 6:17 PM, NG899 said:

I can ask... 

If you want me to...

I would absolutely buy a set for sure, but I can understand that production for that scale might not be go'er.

Edited by 71chally