Hawker Typhoon photo recon

Lawzer

While looking on ebay (as is my morning routine ;) ) I came across this (I've nothing to do with the seller nor is this an advert!!):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Airwaves-AES-48053-1-48-Hawker-Typhoon-Fighter-PR-Recon-Conversion/372690659525?hash=item56c61828c5:g:6DsAAOSwy-xdBW3h&frcectupt=true

Does anyone know about PR Typhoon's?  I've got a few Monogram ones in the stash as this may be something a bit different to build...

TIA!

Ian 

• Like 1

FR rather than PR. All I know is this, which I pass on uncorroborated from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Typhoon#Sub-variants

"The Typhoon FR IB was developed in early 1944 and was used as a tactical reconnaissance fighter. In this version the port inner cannon was removed and three (one forward-facing 14-inch (360 mm) and two vertical five-inch) F24 cameras were carried in its place.[nb 20] Few FR IBs were built, and most served with 268 Squadron, starting in July 1944. The aircraft was never popular with the pilots, who preferred the older Mustang Is and IAs, and the inherent engine and airframe vibrations meant that photos were invariably blurred. As a consequence of these problems, the FR IB was phased out in January 1945."

• Like 1

If you use the search function here on Britmodeller using the search term   Typhoon FR.1b   you will get a number of previous threads on this subject, including some other model builds of this sub-type of the Typhoon, some including pictures. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ColFord said:

If you use the search function here on Britmodeller using the search term   Typhoon FR.1b   you will get a number of previous threads on this subject, including some other model builds of this sub-type of the Typhoon, some including pictures. 

Yeah I had a brain wave to google fr 1b and saw the threads - d'oh!!! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

FR rather than PR. All I know is this, which I pass on uncorroborated from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Typhoon#Sub-variants

"The Typhoon FR IB was developed in early 1944 and was used as a tactical reconnaissance fighter. In this version the port inner cannon was removed and three (one forward-facing 14-inch (360 mm) and two vertical five-inch) F24 cameras were carried in its place.[nb 20] Few FR IBs were built, and most served with 268 Squadron, starting in July 1944. The aircraft was never popular with the pilots, who preferred the older Mustang Is and IAs, and the inherent engine and airframe vibrations meant that photos were invariably blurred. As a consequence of these problems, the FR IB was phased out in January 1945."

268 Sqn handed some of its FR Ibs on to 4 Sqn and both 84 Group Typhoon wings (123 and 146) had a few which they used for target reconnaissance and attack assessment, right up to the end of the war.  Some aircraft had both inner cannon removed and various camera installations were fitted. 

I have not found any evidence that there was a PR version (i.e. no armament) just FR.

• Like 2

A number of years ago, SAM Publications released a resin addition kit for the Academy 1/72 Typhoon. It included some replacement panels for the lower wing surface, to represent the camera mountings for the FR mods.

48086796528_041eb6b749_b.jpg

Unfortunately, there either wasn't any instructions or I have lost them.

Chris

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Does anyone know about PR Typhoon's?  I've got a few Monogram ones in the stash as this may be something a bit different to build...

TIA!

Ian 

Perhaps not the information you were looking for, but Roberta Cowell, the first known British person to undergo sex reassignment surgery, flew FR Typhoons. She (he, Robert, at the time, obviously) was shot down and spent some time in a POW camp. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberta_Cowell

You did ask for something a bit different to build :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

A number of years ago, SAM Publications released a resin addition kit for the Academy 

48086796528_041eb6b749_b.jpg

Unfortunately, there either wasn't any instructions or I have lost them.

Think the instructions featured in an issue of SAM when the set was issued.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, elger said:

Perhaps not the information you were looking for, but Roberta Cowell, the first known British person to undergo sex reassignment surgery, flew FR Typhoons. She (he, Robert, at the time, obviously) was shot down and spent some time in a POW camp. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberta_Cowell

You did ask for something a bit different to build :)

I seem to remember reading somewhere about Roberta Cowell. Flying a typhoon AND what must have been a great deal of personal turmoil. Respect! 👍

So, it’s settled - a FR 1b it is.

Now if I get my butt in gear (and maybe some research) I could build one for the d-day gb (better crack on with the p61 first)....

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Seahawk said:

Think the instructions featured in an issue of SAM when the set was issued.

Well, that should keep me busy for a while, leafing through a stack of old magazines. Goody goody!

Chris

fNot for a D-Day related build but From my web page on RAF Predannack:

The Typhoon & Tempest Story by Chris Thomas & Chris Shores has a photo of a 349 Sqdn Typhoon FR.IB at Predannack on p137 but no code/serial details are visible. @Chris Thomas very kindly posted the following in reply to a query on Britmodeller : "As you probably know, 349 Sqn only had some Typhoons as an interim measure while awaiting re-equipment with Tempest Vs - which never came about. Their ORB never mentions more than 3 Typhoons at a time but I have found allocations for 4 aircraft - they were all Typhoon FR.IBs, surplus to requirements at 84 GSU. They were on short term loan so it is unlikely that they ever carried squadron or individual codes; the serials were EK196, '240, '492 and '512. EK240 had an engine failure and the pilot baled out over the sea off Predannack.
Standard DG/OG/MSG camouflage, black spinners, Sky fuselage band probably painted over. 3 cannons (port inner removed), camera apertures under port wing (cameras probably removed)."

• Like 1