Stripey tiger: 1/35 Academy King Tiger 'Last Production'

Finally got round to finishing this. Second tank of the year, well, last five or six years actually. I don't usually build armour, but seem to have quite a few in the build queue.

spacer.png

I wouldn't know if this was a last production tiger or not, even if it came up to me and bit me. I just like it.

y4m0tfA1pz310mHH86oeolS_478-VVykK8QQkt61

The build process was, shall we say, interesting and a little fraught in places, not least due to the vague instructions.

y4mL9Yk_etrFJ8LtyAfRNPBW8S6ZNNSP5sUOvL0x

I was put off, for the longest time, by the tracks. I hate individual tracks and links. That being said, this kit had sensible individual tracks, which were not totally individual track and links. I still managed to make a hash of some of it as numptie here couldn't following instructions properly.

y4mhdSb1oUCee3L_l0WvlFkwd-PVcwbLKQOX2Qt6

Following my usual heathen approach to painting (i.e. employ anything that looks about right, especially for tanks which get covered in grime and dust and are weathered greatly) I used LifeColor sand and Brown Violet (RLM81?) for the, well, sandy and greeny bits.

y4m59aAHMojujJjjADmbrKT5EdSYsM0J0B8z3CG_

The red bits were far more fun. The Academy painting instructions said 'Red Brown' or something like that, plus gave a whole list of colours from the likes of LifeColor, Tamiya, etc. Naturally, I didn't have any of them. However, research on t'internet revealed that German tank crews would dilute the red brown paint, they were sent, with petrol. Varying dilution rates would give a colour ranging from light red to deep red brown.

y4muThtIofcCDZNMnQxrhp3Frf9QVlqb1tgtaxaw

I happened to have some Liquitex acrylic inks i.e. Red Oxide and Transparent Raw Umber. I simply added a few drops of the latter to the former in my spray brush cup until I got roughly the correct colour. Also, I varied this mixture as I sprayed, to sort of mimic the differing dilutions a crew might use as they sprayed their vehicle. I suspect the green might have been the same, but I didn't dilute it enough to get the same effect.

y4m4xy_gEIpNNdlt-AG5soiEvGd031lshChaPErR

I went a bit nuts with the scheme, I'm afraid, but had huge amounts of fun.

y4mL-3ui6Avpd2KfhyfGzNoOXk7tmxnIlvT16sMX

As I wanted to represent a recently field painted example, I kept the tank fairly clean. I would like to actually see the complex, if somewhat barmy, camouflage scheme I had concocted.

y4mbuCxvFM6mKYnU97-l1OpL-loioyFPIT--3EhP

It was a bit garish, freshly painted. I toned it down by adding a few drops of Liquitex transparent raw umber to Galleria Matt Varnish, and sprayed it all over.  I let it drip and pool in a few places to sort of look as if a slightly dusty tank had been caught in a shower. Well, that's my story, which I am keeping to. 🙂 🙂 🙂

y4me5czIuC58sp0odJR9684H2jjKud5HXAJ-Puis

I have no idea how accurate the final outcome is, but I certainly had a lot of fun with the painting. I used Blutak to mark out the camouflage pattern. Interesting is all I can say. I did manage to brake the machine gun ring when I took off the Blutak, then lost the bit. Sigh. I had to scratch build a replacement, and then hid the join with the machine gun mount, but don't tell anyone!

• Like 11