Questions for my first AFV

Bstarr3

I'm starting my first ever AFV kit - Tamiya's Sherman "Easy 8" in 1/35.  I have a few technique/order of operations questions for people more experienced with these.  There's no camo on this tank - just overall OD.  Is it generally easier to assemble the whole thing and paint it in OD, then pick out the detail painting by hand - tools, rubber on the road tires and return rollers - or should I paint these parts separately and attach them to the finished hull? This kit has a one-piece, "rubber band" style tread.  Any tips on working with those?  Any other general techniques or tips for AFV modeling or this kit in particular?  Good source for reference photos? Thanks in advance

Hey Bstar3,

I’m building this kit at the moment. I’m almost finished the build and had no drama with the kit. Everyone has there different ways of building. I tend to build in sections. So for this kit I have built upper and lower hull but not attached them yet. Will make it easier during weathering. I’ve built all the components up in sub sections for the running gear but will attach later on in the painting and weathering stage. Just find it easier to paint and weather that way.  Also I leave all the tools off and spend a bit of time on them painting them up. Once attached just remember to incorporate them into the weathering. There is lots of good ref on you tube. Just find a procedure and style that your happy with. Hope this waffle helps!