Bf 109 Nicht betreten wing lines colour?

Fin

Is there a rule as to what colour was used for the lines on the wings of Bf 109E, noted with Nicht betreten?

A majority of illustrations I`ve seen show them to be red and most kit decals come with those red lines too, but, for example, the museum restored Swiss Bf 109 E-3:

https://www.facebook.com/PlasticWorks.ro/photos/a.432935923492341/432937853492148/?type=3&theater

and the wreck of L-61 (which the Germans never delivered to Yugoslavia):

https://www.jagdgeschwader4.de/images/flugwerft/bf109/bf109-e-3a-L-61-zirchow/gross//0026_Zirchow_Messerschmitt_Bf_109_E-3a_L-61_Handloch_Tragflaeche.jpg

show the lines to be black. Also, I got this Techmod stencils decal recently and it recommends the black lines for the E-1, E-3 and E-4 and the red ones only for the E-7.

https://www.super-hobby.co.uk/products/Stencils-for-Bf-109E.html

Was there a standard in this regard?

Edited by Fin
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, but I`d need more info than this (if it is available). As I`ve shown, sometimes those lines were black and if there was some distinguishable rule as to which planes used the red ones and which the black ones I`d like to know. Maybe the colour depended on the year of production or on each version or production lot. In that case it would be useful to know the specifics, as i`m in the process of finishing a Yugoslav and a Romanian machine.

All - modern - illustrations of the Yugoslav Bf-109E that I`ve seen show the lines red, but the L-61 wreck proves them to be black. The same thing with the modern illustrations dealing with the Romanian Emils (all red lines). However, I`m tempted to follow the example of the Swiss Emil on this one, unless anyone knows better.

My gut Feeling is that black would be hard to see on a 70/71 top Surface, with red having better visibility. On 74/75, black would offer enough contrast. But my thinking is the exact opposite of what Techmod suggests, so I'm likely wrong... 

Not quite sure if I‘d subscribe to that for the period in question, when there were prolific bureaucrats at the RLM issuing directives right up to the Endsieg to avoid being conscripted to Kampfgruppen - well, luckily not quite 😉

Seriously, in 1940 there were AFAIA rules in the relevant LDv that would have to be adhered to by the manufacturer at least, unless they‘d want to risk a strip and repaint. Four years later, I‘d say it was a bit more relaxed (perhaps not the most fortunate expression) as a factory manager would likely face punishment if he held back deliveries to wait for the specified RLM shade.

• Like 1

Hello Fin,

one of those photos show an original paint work. It is possible that the dark red paint has changed over time. Even bright colours can turn into almost black (or very dark gray) in nearly 70 years. And it is also possible that the markings were originally applied in black. I had a chance to examine a bf-109E that was in original colours. All the stencils still visible had faded/changed considerably over time. For example the black stencils near the tail wheel had turned into almost white (they were lighter than the surrounding light blue gray).

The modeller's Luftwaffe painting guide (J.R. Smith, G.G. Pentland and R.P. Lutz) provide a detailed stencilling guide:

"Wing walk markings, a solid red 28 or 23 line on E models, sometimes a dotted line. Dotted line on F and subsequent models, red 23 on dark surfaces, black on lighter surfaces."

RLM 28 "Weinrot" was very dark red and RLM 23 "Rot" was a bright red.

Kind Regards,

Antti

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1