Airfix Supermarine Spitfire Mk XIV 1/48th scale

Afternoon. 
Well this went straight to the top of the list and has just been finished. Construction wise it's very nice and easy.
I Used Aviaeology's RCAF FR Spitfire's to make MV348 "S",  "Violet Dorothy III" flown by Sqn Leader Ken Lawson of 414 Squadron, late April - May 1945. 
Tamiya & Gunze paints used throughout, with details in Vallejo and Citadel. Final finish is W&N Galleria matt. 
The kit decals provided everything except the serial number, code letter and name, and they are some of the best kit decals I've ever used. Period.  This is a great kit and looks the part.

cheers
Jonners

SGDig5F.jpg

q02bVvq.jpg

jeA8H8d.jpg

6UbwbAL.jpg

ijv1DYV.jpg

• Like 71
  • Thanks 1

That's just beautiful John, she really looks like a decent old kit. Images like this should help Airfix move thousands of them! 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That's just beautiful John, she really looks like a decent old kit. Images like this should help Airfix move thousands of them! 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

Thank you!  it really deserves to sell well. Now they have abandoned the split UC legs of the Mk I and V kits it really does fall together. The decal marking options are good too- but I'd built an Eduard IX as Violet Dorothy a few years ago - so Violet Dorothy III was an obvious choice for this one.

Cheers
Jonners

• Like 1

Looks excellent. I note the painted out sky band, a very nice touch. I'm waiting delivery of mine. Glad to hear Airfix have done something about the undercarriage fit.

Mike

40 minutes ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

Construction wise it's very nice and easy.

Hi Jon

did you do a WIP?  Just that there are some very differing opinions about this kit doing the rounds,  including a couple of pretty scathing reports on youtube. 

I linked you, and this build,  in the rumourmonger thread,  I suspect that this maybe another case of poor quality control,   if you get a good one, it's as you describe, but some seem to be less well moulded.

Lovely bit of work on the build as well :goodjob:

cheers

T

18 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Hi Jon

did you do a WIP?  Just that there are some very differing opinions about this kit doing the rounds,  including a couple of pretty scathing reports on youtube. 

I linked you, and this build,  in the rumourmonger thread,  I suspect that this maybe another case of poor quality control,   if you get a good one, it's as you describe, but some seem to be less well moulded.

Lovely bit of work on the build as well :goodjob:

cheers

T

Hi Troy- thanks for your words. I'm afraid I didn't do a WIP  ( I just cracked on with it!) . I pre-ordered two kits and one arrived without the clear sprue- which appears to have been just a one off.
I encountered no issues with the build of this kit - actually, to be fair, I had to flex out the upper fuel tank cover fuselage part a tad to make it conform better. That took all of 30 seconds and would be a simple and easy to spot fix assuming a modeller test fitted parts first.  The actual fit of all the fuselage parts is good. If you test fit everything you can quickly discern if any of the locating slots need a quick lick with a file- in my models case they were OK apart from 2. Other than that - nada. I think I did say that I thought some of the moulding was a bit "mould-liney" in the Rumourmonger thread and that just needs a quick clean up with a sanding stick or a scalpel.  It's nothing you wouldn't do for any kit really. They are minor problems.

I'd be interested to see the You Tube vids to try and see what problems are being found by others

The cannon barrels are a little unrefined in shape for my palate so i replaced them with spares from an Eduard Mk IX. that meant I had to shave down the attachment stubs on the kit diameter wise, so unless you are a picky sod, leave them as!  The UC legs new attachment system works well. I guess if the modeller neglects to read the instructions, they might attach top wing halves to the bottom first before trying to mate this to the fuselage- which you can't do on this model as the UC attachment boxes moulded ot the fuselage will make this impossible.

Clear parts all fit well - theres a choice of open or closed canopies too ( the open one is moulded a tad wider to sit down over the fuselage properly.

Theres nothing in this model to be scared of at all!

cheers

Jonners

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, snappedbydan said:

Hope I get a good one like you, some mixed reviews on youtube! Looks cracking well done.

I think that as long as you can scrape a little flash from some of the smaller parts, you will be fine.  You shouldn't have to do this, none of us should, but that's where we are.|
I Hope you enjoy your model.  And, thank you for looking and commenting too :)

cheers
Jonners

Looks great Jonners , just shows what a competent modeller can do with a "fatally flawed " kit . I think some of the criticisms made online have been largely unjustified , having seen both the kit in the flesh and David Collins and now your builds . Must make a start on mine , if it's only half as good as this one I'll be happy.

Andrew

• Like 2

That is wonderful Jon,...... and a great choice of subject! There are so many decent Spit XIV scheme,......it would made a great sheet!! 

I started mine on Friday night and by Saturday night most of the airframe was together,..... a lovely kit,

Cheers mate,

Tony

11 minutes ago, Andrew Jones said:

Looks great Jonners , just shows what a competent modeller can do with a "fatally flawed " kit . I think some of the criticisms made online have been largely unjustified , having seen both the kit in the flesh and David Collins and now your builds . Must make a start on mine , if it's only half as good as this one I'll be happy.

Andrew

I suspect that yours will look pretty decent too!!  

The problem with "online" is that TBH we live in an age where sometimes one has to be outspoken to make one's mark. I'm not saying that's totally the case here but you can put a spin on things ( I don't mean the prop!) that can push a view one way.  As a case in point, there is flash on the rudder actuator pistons and control column framework part, but the part is about, what?  5mm x 8mm?  You see that zoomed in on and lit like an SS interrogation and it looks awful. I just picked my model up and put a spotlight on -  and even beaming direct into the cockpit it's right down at the bottom and tricky to see. I'm not saying that the flash isn't there as it is; nor that it's right a new tool, new mould should have it; it shouldn't. But it does seem a little over dramatic the way it's presented.

I realise the guy that did the Youtube vid is well respected and a really, really, really top modeller but there's no comparison of cost between the Airfix kit and the Tamiya Mark I, nor an explanation why the Tamiya pistons are not parallel either.  It's all very well doing these "nude" builds to show the modeller an "honest" representation of what the kit it-  BUT - and here's the BUT- that is not the way 99.9% of modellers make kits. We cut parts, clean up, test fit, trim, paint, glue, fill etc.  Perhaps I'm just older now and more tolerant of a wee bit of intolerance in my plastic!  I used to be a right git when it came to Trumpeter and their excuses for accuracy, but I actually can't be bottomed now. People buy them despite what's said, so whats the point? Idiots.  Life has more important issues to oppose and defeat than flash on a model.   

Sorry,  that went a tad soapboxy - and it's not aimed at you dear chap at all.  I look forward to seeing your Spit!

Cheers, 
Jonners

• Like 12

Hi Jonners,

Having looked at David Collins', then Spencer's, then Your Spit XIV, i too have noticed what seems (seams?) to be a big disconnect between the finished model, and how the raw kit is being perceived over here. I don't know the exact explanation for this, but it seems sometimes that Airfix kits show up in US Hobby Shops first...and they tend to be plagued with glitches, and you seldom hear UK modelers mentioning the same problem areas. Is it characteristic for Airfix plastic to shrink as it cools, and are these glitchy, early offerings indicative of the injection moulding/ calibration/ tweaking process?

I'm trying to find a logical explanation for this Sissy-Spacek weirdness...

-d-

3 hours ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

I suspect that yours will look pretty decent too!!  

The problem with "online" is that TBH we live in an age where sometimes one has to be outspoken to make one's mark. I'm not saying that's totally the case here but you can put a spin on things ( I don't mean the prop!) that can push a view one way.  As a case in point, there is flash on the rudder actuator pistons and control column framework part, but the part is about, what?  5mm x 8mm?  You see that zoomed in on and lit like an SS interrogation and it looks awful. I just picked my model up and put a spotlight on -  and even beaming direct into the cockpit it's right down at the bottom and tricky to see. I'm not saying that the flash isn't there as it is; nor that it's right a new tool, new mould should have it; it shouldn't. But it does seem a little over dramatic the way it's presented.

I realise the guy that did the Youtube vid is well respected and a really, really, really top modeller but there's no comparison of cost between the Airfix kit and the Tamiya Mark I, nor an explanation why the Tamiya pistons are not parallel either.  It's all very well doing these "nude" builds to show the modeller an "honest" representation of what the kit it-  BUT - and here's the BUT- that is not the way 99.9% of modellers make kits. We cut parts, clean up, test fit, trim, paint, glue, fill etc.  Perhaps I'm just older now and more tolerant of a wee bit of intolerance in my plastic!  I used to be a right git when it came to Trumpeter and their excuses for accuracy, but I actually can't be bottomed now. People buy them despite what's said, so whats the point? Idiots.  Life has more important issues to oppose and defeat than flash on a model.   

Sorry,  that went a tad soapboxy - and it's not aimed at you dear chap at all.  I look forward to seeing your Spit!

Cheers, 
Jonners

First off, and foremost, a beautiful build Jon.  Secondly, Im so on the same page as you with  your thoughts above.

Bruce

• Like 1

6 hours ago, David H said:

Hi Jonners,

Having looked at David Collins', then Spencer's, then Your Spit XIV, i too have noticed what seems (seams?) to be a big disconnect between the finished model, and how the raw kit is being perceived over here. I don't know the exact explanation for this, but it seems sometimes that Airfix kits show up in US Hobby Shops first...and they tend to be plagued with glitches, and you seldom hear UK modelers mentioning the same problem areas. Is it characteristic for Airfix plastic to shrink as it cools, and are these glitchy, early offerings indicative of the injection moulding/ calibration/ tweaking process?

I'm trying to find a logical explanation for this Sissy-Spacek weirdness...

-d-

Hi D-man. In short I don't know! Perhaps we in the UK are more willing to overlook some of Airfix's shortcomings, or maybe we dont see them as being problems?  I'm not saying this to somehow indicate Americans are more picky, just trying to think of reasons.  I guess it would be interesting to see how a first boxing, differs from a second run of a given kit, where there had been comment on it initially.

For instance, I have built 3 first release Meteor F8s, and they were all in the softer bluer-grey plastic, like the new Spit is. I just bought a Korean War boxing, and that is moulded in the darker, more neutral, grey, like the P-40B.  I know the fit issues on the Meteor well, so it will be interesting to see how it builds with this plastic. 

It does also seem that we might be seeing a general trend of modellers wanting perfectly fitting, well engineered kits over all the other desirable things in a kit. I'm thinking that Trumpeter often give this, and inspite of the many critics of their accuracy policy, they must sell OK.  Even Tamiya's new Spit 1 apparently has an "off" undercarriage rake angle, but it's ignored as it's so well engineered.
Maybe we live in a painting & finishing obsessed time? It's quicker to crack on with the paint if the model just slots together and is cleanly moulded. To perhaps extend this point more generally, we live in an age where "look" is everything, where spin and PR constantly overrule content, so why should modelling be different? You could call this entitlement, or rising consumer expectations, or just hobbyists wanting an understandably easier life!

I suspect the plastic is actually the issue though. I'd love to know why Airfix use the blue grey softer plastic - cost perhaps?

cheers

Jonners

• Like 4

Beautiful build Jonners - thank you for posting.

Of course, you realise you aren't supposed to be able to do this with such a fatally flawed kit. You must have weilded some sort of wizardry to get this result.  

I have two to crack on with myself and absolutely looking forward to it. As others here have said, they have risen to the top of the build pile. Must find platform 9 1/2 first,

PR

• Like 2