1/72 D-Day mozzie

So thanks to @Richard E who has kindly offered up some decals, the plan is to build a 1/72 airfix mosquito mk vi.

I will also be cannibalising an old Tamiya mosquito for its interior detail and better wheels. It was given to me, in a bit of a state, to use for spares by a work colleague.

photos etc will go up as soon as I get a moment, but probably after I get back from Malta.

Rob

• Like 7

Well hopefully it will go ok, I’m looking for something to do along side my spitfires. Hopefully this won’t be too much trouble!

also I’ve never built (finished) a mosquito myself even though I had three kits. One was started but never finished, it was going to be a gift to my nephew but didn’t turn out well. The other was built by my daughter and paint pink, PRU blue and had silver strips because... well because what not! 

This one is my last kit! Better not make a hash of it!

Rob

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I’m back from Malta and got started with the mozzie!

here is the kit, completely unstarted so well below 25%

nQM2MEp.jpg

and here is the planned scheme

bqCXBWv.jpg

a finally here is there old Tamiya mozzie I’ll be pinching some bits from

3HHwRhz.jpg

Looking to use the wheels props and internals to add a bit of detail. However I may have to remove the details from the cockpit and add them to the airfix one separately as trying to get the whole Tamiya cockpit to fit is quiet the pain from the dry fits I’ve done.

so far I’ve only glued the wings together, and into the fuselage halves (so I can see how they fit and how much work is needed/plastic to remove to fit the Tamiya cockpit)

l8k23ge.jpg

i0sLS7a.jpg

I’ve also masked the canopy as it’s nice to get it out the way!

thats all for now

Rob

• Like 5

1 hour ago, CedB said:

I'm in! Much mashing for the Mongrel Mossie matey? :D

It’s looking like I would need to grind the wing roots down and thin areas of the Tamiya CP to get it to fit Ced, which I might do or I might just remove the detailed bits from it and add it to the airfix basic CP. I will have a play on my next day off!

On 7/3/2019 at 8:19 AM, Robert Stuart said:

Looks like a good start Rob - with a strong colour scheme to follow

Cheers Stuart! I like the scheme, black with some D-Day stripes is a strong look I think!

Rob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Peter Lloyd said:

The Airfix Mosquito still looks pretty good I think. Being wooden, the panel line issue isn't really important and the shape is good.

I agree, all the Tamiya has is the detailing internally and nicer wheels, which I’ve nicked! And seeing as this build has cost me the sum total of £0 so far it’s worth trying to tart it up.

Im going to need a dremmel though so will pinch my dads, the wing roots need thinning to fit the cockpit. I’ve also removed the floor above the 20 mm cannons as the CP needs to sit lower.

Rob

• Like 3