+++ Finished! +++ Another Hornet. Kit # F239

mike romeo

24 minutes ago, JosephLalor said:

That sounds a little like me and my Badger 150.  I bought it in the Streatham Milslides about 1988/89.  It's had one outing since, and that was a test.  I wonder what state the seals are in now.

I have a Badger 150, works well and quite uncomplicated, a few 'o' rings that might have deteriorated. Easily fixed.

But, back to the main theme, how's the windscreen Martin?

Hi chaps,

No pics this time, I'm afraid.

Got the decals on, but couldn't get them to settle properly.  Very bumpy and wrinkled, with a lot of silvering.  After a couple of days pondering, I bit the bullet and stripped the decals.  This also involved stripping the paint, which I wasn't entirely happy with.

I'm now back to preparing the surface for some more primer (sigh).

@PeterB was kind enough to supply another set of decals, which arrived this afternoon.  However, I am now back at work, so a finish on this one is now far from guaranteed.

Regards

Martin

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

No pics as I'm repeating old ground.  I did a touch of rescribing, repaired some gouges where I'd removed the decals and reapplied the spar caps, then got some primer on.  Not bad!

I then polished it back and have now reapplied the pru blue. Looking good so far!   I'll mask off and try to reapply the DSG tonight.

If that goes ok, I plan to do something different for the dark green: using a Tamiya rattle can with paper masks, to try for a softer and less toy like camo demarcation.  Pics once I get to the point of doing this.

Regards

Martin

• Like 5

Ok, we're back to here.

2019-09-04_07-43-15

I'll let the DSG dry overnight and tomorrow cut out and mask for the DG.

Then it's back to the decals this weekend. 

Notes to self:

Klear coat beforehand and let dry;

Trim carrier film as far as possible;

Use tepid water;

Position decal on klear / water mix.

Regards

Martin

• Like 6

Underside masked:

2019-09-05_08-24-51

Camo pattern marked out on plans to aid cutting out and placement.  Hope to get these on tomoz.  

2019-09-05_08-24-35

May manage to get some paint on then too, if I'm lucky.  We'll see!

Regards

Martin

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jinxman said:

...and sometimes when the masking comes off and everything is ok..

When it does it's very happy days.... and when is doesn't, family members need to clear the near vicinity!  

The Hornet's looking great Martin.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 3

On 9/7/2019 at 3:15 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

When it does it's very happy days.... and when is doesn't, family members need to clear the near vicinity!  

The Hornet's looking great Martin.

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks, Dave.

Suspect there'll be some work to do post-reveal adjusting the 'sharpness' of the camo demarcation in places.  Dry brush and stipple de rigeur.

Regards

Martin

• Like 1

...and managed to get a coat of Tamiya dark green on this afternoon.  I'm going to give that a few hours to dry before I risk unmasking.

2019-09-07_04-04-21

Regards

Martin

R

• Like 6

Roundels now on.  Kindly donated by @PeterB, they went down well but even though I trimmed the carrier film as much as possible, I got the dreaded white rim round half of them as they must have been somewhat out of register.  However, with a bit of delicate touching up of  the camo colours, we now have:

2019-09-09_10-22-32

2019-09-09_10-22-51

Another couple of thin coats and I think they'll be fine.  I may also try to deepen the colour of the roundels in due course - or I may not.

Hopefully I'll get the codes on tomorrow night.

Regards

Martin

• Like 9

Glad they worked Martin - as you will see from my PM and my Hornet build I had major problems with another of the sheets from my stash. I have a similar problem of white edges on mine too though it was not obvious when on the sheet - Frog never were too good at roundels were they!

Looking good.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is it just my imagination or are the props on the wrong engines in the earlier photo?- I know they rotated in the opposite direction to each other and the pics I have seen, though not very clear, suggest that the Port was running anti-clockwise and the Starboard clockwise. Might just be my failing eyesight mind! I must admit I completely forgot about that when putting mine on but by some fluke seem to have got all 4 right. There is a picture on the web of a Hornet with the blades the opposite way round but I believe they are actually feathered! Looks like you have swopped them over in the most recent pic?

Edited by PeterB

Hi Pete,

I'm sure you're right, but as the props are just blu-tacked on at the moment, I can change them in due course.

No, I'm talking about the classic 'not paying attention' mistake that, once seen, cannot be unseen . . .

Regards

Martin