+++ Finished! +++ Another Hornet. Kit # F239

mike romeo

8 hours ago, Johnson said:

I have my Squadron Products instructions on how to make a canopy, do you need a copy Martin?

Yes, please!

'morning Martin,

These are the instructions that came with the Squadron Products clear styrene many year ago. I don't think a candle is a good idea, I use the smallest flame on the gas hob and hold the sheet of styrene with two pairs of pliers away from the flame moving it around gently until it's soft and pliable. Then swiftly pull it down over the 'master' mould. It takes a bit of practice, and if your 'master' is an old canopy or made of plastic wait for it to cool before repeated attempts or the hot styrene sheet can melt and distort it.

Scan_20191007

Remember 'This technique should ONLY be used with adult supervision'! ;)

Best of luck!

PS - Pete @PeterB and Tony @TonyW both seem to have used the 'heat & smash' or 'slam mould' technique and may be able to offer advice, I think Pete's method is mentioned somewhere in this thread.

Edited by Johnson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's exactly how I made my Emily canopy. I went even more deadly with my heat source though, I used a plumbers calor gas blowtorch, set on the lowest flame I could get. I think a candle would have been a much better idea. Using a candle means the heat is limited and it's rising vertically, leaving you with both hands to grip the plastic. I stood my torch on my bench and had a bit of difficulty getting the heat on the plastic.

The trick is to be able to see what the plastic is doing. Set yourself up so you can clearly see the effect of the heat source on whatever plastic you use. Once it starts drooping it has to be stretched over the master straight away. Leave it in the heat too long and a hole appears as punishment. Don't move quick enough and the plastic cools before you can shape it.  It's an easy process to get the hang of though. I've used clear plastic card that seems to be a bit more critical of time and heat and I've also used clear packaging that stretched further, giving a much thinner part. The packaging was the front outer wrapper of a pair of safety goggles I bought recently. Plastic drinks bottles may well work although I've not tried them yet. I would think any clear plastic would work.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 3

The possible downside of using a candle is that they can leave a deposit of soot on the plastic - I used a burner on my gas hob, but a hair dryer may work. If I could find my old Black and Decker paint stripper (a sort of hair dryer but a lot hotter) I would probably use that, assuming it still works! I cut a hole just bigger than the canopy in a piece of 1/2" thick wood as I recall - does not have to be the same shape as the canopy, a rectangle will do - and pinned the plastic sheet to that. Makes it easier to hold over the flame without burning yourself. You have to get the plastic fairly soft or you will get "stretch marks", but not too soft! Trial and error should get you there in the end. Once it is soft just plunge the male master in fairly quickly. 

Best of luck.

Pete

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TonyW said:

I think a candle would have been a much better idea

My only reservation about a candle is the soot that candles naturally produce, but it does have the advantage of being a low heat and more controllable source of heat. The Squadron instructions do refer to cleaning off the soot.

6 hours ago, PeterB said:

Black and Decker paint stripper (a sort of hair dryer but a lot hotter)

Good idea! I use mine to defrost the old freezer, and I did melt some of the plastic! :unsure:

Edited by Johnson
Oops, added this before I saw Pete's reply!
  • Like 1

Ok, chaps.

That's great info.  Now, all I need is some form of vice to hold on to the master's 'lolly stick', and a reliable source of heat. 

Might have to wait until the weekend.

Regards

Martin

• Like 1

Hi Martin,

I suppose one advantage of the way I did it was that the length of wood with the plastic sheet pinned on could be rested on books or something after heating and held down with one hand whilst the male master was held in the other and "plunged" so no need for a vice. A gas ring (or presumably an electric one)  on low gives a pretty constant heat which you "vary" by changing the height you hold the wood with the plastic on above it . Crude but simple and it worked for me. You need to make the plastic sheet quite a bit bigger than the canopy so it can stretch without "necking" and getting too thin.

Many years ago I bought a sort of cut down "table" version of a Black and Decker "Workmate" (I have a full size one as well). It is about 18* square with the usual fixed and sliding top "planks" and plastic "jaws",  which you crank in and out with 2 handles. It has rubber feet and optional clamps to fix it to a worktop. It is very useful for modelling, particuarly holding resin kits whilst I saw off the moulding blocks. Don't expect they make them now!

Pete

Edited by PeterB

30 minutes ago, mike romeo said:

Ok, chaps.

That's great info.  Now, all I need is some form of vice to hold on to the master's 'lolly stick', and a reliable source of heat. 

Might have to wait until the weekend.

Regards

Martin

I picked up a small bench vice from Aldi or maybe Lidle for under a fiver that held the master in place without problem. It wasn't exactly a Snap On product but it has a swivel head and clamps onto my bench when needed. 

• Like 1

Ah, plunge-moulding - that and rigging biplanes scares the Bejeebers out of me! Nice work on the Frog Hornet, Mike! Takes me back to when I bought the kit, new. We really, really need an accurate new-mould 1/72nd scale kit of the Hornet. I'm not saying I'd be the first in line to buy it, but I wouldn't be the last.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Ah, plunge-moulding - that and rigging biplanes scares the Bejeebers out of me! Nice work on the Frog Hornet, Mike! Takes me back to when I bought the kit, new. We really, really need an accurate new-mould 1/72nd scale kit of the Hornet. I'm not saying I'd be the first in line to buy it, but I wouldn't be the last.

Regards,

Jason

Thanks, Jason.

I completely agree with you re the need for a new-tool Hornet. 

Are you listening, Airfix?

Regards

Martin

• Like 3

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 8:53 PM, mike romeo said:

Painted up the Pitot tube, and added the really long fuselage whip aerial.

2019-09-29_08-41-01

Regards

Martin

Hi Martin,

This looks superb. Sorry to have missed your thread so far but looking back I'm really impressed with what you have done with this Frog kit.

Good job on the windscreen assembly too! :-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, after some procrastination, on Friday evening I had a few goes at smash moulding.  6 attempts later, I got one reasonable one.  I cut the sliding section down this afternoon, and . . .

2019-10-20_05-01-14

Sorry this won't be finished, but I gave it a good go.  Thanks to Dave and Pat for letting me join, and to the rest of you for your support and your wonderful builds.

Regards

Martin

• Like 5

That looks very good Martin. It usually takes a few attempts before it goes right. I find for simple canopies they are very effective, being nearer the original in scale terms and very clear. Sorry you weren't able to get it finished, but a good thread and a good build, despite your setbacks! Catch you on some future GB I hope.

Cheers,

• Thanks 1

OK, so after some consideration, I decided I'd come too far not to get this finished so, ignoring curing times for klear and paint, I got some rudimentary framing done this evening and attached the canopy.  So, I'm calling this finished!

Thanks for all the encouragement along the way!

Regards

Martin

• Like 3

16 hours ago, mike romeo said:

OK, so after some consideration, I decided I'd come too far not to get this finished so, ignoring curing times for klear and paint, I got some rudimentary framing done this evening and attached the canopy.  So, I'm calling this finished!

Thanks for all the encouragement along the way!

Regards

Martin

Brilliant stuff, love the canopy!

I'm going to have a bash at that for mine. I ended up butchering a FW190A Falcon canopy for mine...it still looks better than the original!

Edited by Worms
Speeling
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...