+++ Finished! +++ Another Hornet. Kit # F239

mike romeo

Folks, 

Thanks for playing along. 

It is the camo.  More specifically, the old "mask off the pattern you're meant to be painting" trick!  Yep, grey and green areas are reversed from my interpretation of the camo scheme. 

Gutted, but not dismayed, I shall struggle on manfully,  knowing that every time I look at it, I'll seethe with self-directed rage. 

Oh well, can always pretend I'll be bothered to strip and repaint at some point in the future.

Regards

Martin

• Sad 4

Added torque links and a retraction jack to the main wheel legs.  Cannibalized a Heller Vampire nose gear for the tailwheel leg.  

Also added the pilot's seat with Tamiya tape seat belts.

Going to Farnborough Modelfest tomorrow, but may get some more done in the evening.

Regards

Martin

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh crikey. I didn't notice either, you could have gotten away with that. I think it is a lovely model but also understand if you have the desire to re do it . What ever you decide I am sure a cracker will result.

All the best

Chris

Thanks, Chris.

I may strip the paint and refinish it 'at some point', but I'm determined to get a finish in this GB, so it'll remain as is for the immediate.

Regards

Martin

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, mike romeo said:

Thanks, Chris.

I may strip the paint and refinish it 'at some point', but I'm determined to get a finish in this GB, so it'll remain as is for the immediate.

Regards

Martin

Black and white photos once it's ready for the gallery might do it - that period look?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mike romeo said:

Good plan, far too nice (and all the work you put in!) to abandon.

• Like 1

Hi Martin

Don't know about Post War, but during the war there seem to have been perfectly official "reversed colour" versions of the various schemes - for example the Hurricane IID I built in reversed colour desert scheme. Anyway, as Dave said many months ago (sometimes feels like years) this GB is not about accuracy. Yes I know it is annoying to you but it still looks great.

Pete

• Like 1

So, photos to go with status post. 

Detail painting of odds n sods begun, now that decalling is complete.  I have cut down the backing plate for the exhausts to fit the slots, and also separated the exhaust stacks as they were connected via a web for about half their length. 

The rocket bodies and supports were moulded quite nicely so are being used but I replaced the fins with those from a Hobby Boss easybuild Typhoon as the fins were much finer.

I haven't shown the bombs but these are from a previously completed Tamiya Mosquito and are drying after a coat of primer.

I have received the measurements I needed from David Collins, so want to tackle the windscreen next - as well as getting the main gear legs fitted.

2019-09-14_09-53-49

2019-09-14_09-54-13

2019-09-14_09-53-27

Regards

Martin

• Like 5

That's looking really lovely Martin, you're almost there mate. 

... So all this DH Hornet talk had me digging out my stashed example and a few references that I'd acquired of the subject last night. Now it was merely just a case of checking things out, although that's enough to get a silly modeller tempted to keep this pile to the side of the modelling bench just in case the urge get's too much to resist (an untreatable condition - I know!). 

Cheers.. Dave (who blames @mike romeo, @PeterB, @Worms and @orckawolf for this problem). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Looks excellent Martin! Looking forward to seeing it with the canopy on.

It's interesting, some modellers paint with the canopy on, others leave the canopy off till the paint's applied. I suppose it depends on the nature of the canopy to a certain extent, but I usually feel safer leaving it off till the paint's on.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

So, after a couple of attempts at cutting out a windscreen, I got one that wasn't too bad.

The problem wasn't scaling down David Collins measurements, it was transferring those accurately to the styrene and then cutting it out accurately.

However, it kooks reasonably symmetrical, so I'm not displeased.  The white glue is to secure it and fair it in a bit.  When dry, I'll remove the residue with a moist cotton bud very carefully.

2019-09-17_08-27-35

I may add a rear frame from thin rod if I can be bothered.

Regards

Martin

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Looks OK so far.

Open canopy Martin? Tricky, but always looks good!

Yep.

The interior isn't really up to it, but I'm no super detailer, so it'll have to do. 

The vacform canopy I have is shaped with sloping windscreen side panel bottom edges, rather than flat.  The sliding bit looks good, though.  So, I really didn't have a choice but to do it open.

Regards

Martin

• Like 1

Agree, she’s looking really nice Martin and the undercarriage and windscreen are impressive improvements. All the hard effort has been worth it and having just played around with the basic parts of one of these kits myself, your on the way to making a real gem out of a pile of old rocks! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1