+++ Finished! +++ Another Hornet. Kit # F239

mike romeo

Thanks, chaps.

I must admit that, despite making progress, I feel a long way from finishing.

I need to rescribe the ailerons, then scribe the flaps and some of the panel lines at the rear of and at the front of the cowlings.  

Before I join the wings, I will also need to scribe the lines around the nose and cannon tray.  Of course, I also need to drill the cannon troughs.

Once the wings are on, I plan to fill the joints and try adding the spar caps by soaking paper strips in Tamiya extra thin.

Once that's done, I need to mock up a windscreen . . .

After that, I can paint!

Lots to do.

M

• Like 1

Right!  Happier now.  The wing scribing has gone as well as can be expected. 

For the first time, I doubled up on the thickness of the Dymo tape.  I also used tamiya tape to help hold the Dymo tape down around curves.  That seemed to help.  

Still got my fair share of errant lines and wobbly bits, but those can be heartened up later.

Now for my greatest concern: scribing the cannon bay and drilling the cannon troughs.  I'll let you know how it goes; with pics if successful!.

Regards

Martin

• Like 1

So, the scribing is mostly finished although tidying up will be needed.  I chickened out of drilling the cannon troughs, so added the radiators and stuck on the wings.

2019-08-10_09-30-42

The joins are pretty ugly, but I believe the dihedral is about right - and equal.  Some plasticard shim and more filler will follow. 

2019-08-10_09-31-22

And a friend has joined the Hornet on the modelling desk.

2019-08-10_09-31-01

Regards

Martin

• Like 8

So, not much progress due to my son's 10th birthday party.  However, I did manage a couple of rounds of fill n' sand on the wing roots, and I'll leave it there for now. 

2019-08-11_07-35-32

In between waiting for filler to dry, I started painting the props.  I need another coat of black, then yellow tips tomorrow.

2019-08-11_07-35-48

Tomorrow, I will try drilling the cannon troughs and add the spar covers.

Regards

Martin

• Like 8

So, carrying on in my slightly obsessed, 3 steps forwards 2.9 steps back way, I got a spray of primer on.  Lots of greeblies to sort!  I have been working away at sorting those.

2019-08-15_09-29-00

As you can see, I have added some spar caps and odd panels.  I have also just added some nav lights from clear sprue.

2019-08-15_09-28-20

The latest bugbear to me was the width of the nacelles in plan.  To me, these tapered too much, particularly on the inner side.  The spinners overhang the nacelle at the side.  So, I bulked the inner sides up with filler, incidentally erasing the reasonably well-scribed panel lines thereon (sigh).

Did I mention I hate scribing?

Regards

Martin

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, mike romeo said:

Did I mention I hate scribing?

You did... but I maintain that it's not nearly as bad as masking! :think:

either way, excellent progress and it's going to look very good!

Cheers,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Johnson said:

either way, excellent progress and it's going to look very good!

Cheers,

..and may I add rigging?

The build is coming together very nicely.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Johnson said:

Which doubles in the bad points department if we are talking about canopies! 

So we all hate scribing, masking and rigging.... you have to ask yourself, why do we do this to ourselves?

Your efforts to correct de Havilland's refined Mossie are looking great Martin.. now stop comparing it to plans and the real thing, we want to see this thing finished. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Which doubles in the bad points department if we are talking about canopies! 

So we all hate scribing, masking and rigging.... you have to ask yourself, why do we do this to ourselves?

Your efforts to correct de Havilland's refined Mossie are looking great Martin.. now stop comparing it to plans and the real thing, we want to see this thing finished. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Dave,

You're not the only one!  I've got a Typhoon to be getting on with.

Done the majority of the rescribing today.  Going to try to get some paint on by tomorrow.  Wish me luck.

Regards

Martin

• Like 1

Yessss!!!

Finally got some paint on!  2 coats of xtracrylics PRU blue (or, more accurately, 1 coat of same on top of 1 of azure blue.  No, I don't know what I was thinking of, either!

2019-08-18_04-53-38

Looks rubbish at the moment, but another couple of coats and it'll look guy guid.

Regards

Martin

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Johnson said:

Interesting (intermediate!) finish Martin. Are you thinning and brush painting the acrylic to get an even coat?

Cheers,

Oh, yes!

And here she is after 5 coats.  Another one at least to go, plus there are a couple of greeblies (less than expected) which will require localised clean up.

2019-08-18_09-43-18

Regards

Martin

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That a nice solid paint finish Martin. Good to see some paint after all the time and effort spent on construction. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thank you, Dave,

I can assure you that no-one is more relieved than I.

Regards,

Martin

• Like 1

After a going over with micromesh and another couple of coats of PRU blue, the undersides are finished.

2019-08-19_11-25-52

Been out for much of the day, but managed 4 coats of DSG this evening.  I should get that finished off tomorrow, then onto the dark green.

2019-08-19_11-26-04

Regards,

Martin

R

• Like 7

Looking the goods Martin. A (bad) thought just crossed my mind after reading these posts, with all these multiple coats of thinned paint and a session of micro mesh thereafter, I was wondering if it would be wise to invest in a cheap airbrush and start spraying your paint on? To be honest the set up these days is cheaper than you think and once you’ve mastered it, you’ll be pleased with your results. Having said all that, your brushed on paint and technique looks flawless to me. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I was wondering if it would be wise to invest in a cheap airbrush and start spraying your paint on? To be honest the set up these days is cheaper than you think and once you’ve mastered it, you’ll be pleased with your results. 

Thanks Dave.

I tried airbrushing with a cheap Tamiya set up about a quarter of a century ago.

Got some good results, but not noticeably better - or faster - than my current method of brush painting*, given masking, surface prep, cleaning of airbrush, etc.  It did teach me a thing or two about eliminating seams and the importance of surface prep though.

I've actually got a rather expensive airbrush and compressor in the loft - where it's been for about 15 years.  Will probably drag it out when I have a proper modelling room sorted, probably about the same time hell freezes over .

Regards

Martin

*not including Lufty mottling.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

So the painting is essentially complete:

2019-08-21_05-33-43

2019-08-21_05-33-25

I tried to get the camo demarcation smoothly curved instead of wiggly.  Pics I've seen of camo'd Hornets  show this and it looks a lot different to the WWII style.  It may even look a bit "toy-like".  However, that's how it's now going to stay.

Next up: decals.  Following that, I'm going to have to measure out, fashion  and install a scratch-built windscreen.  What could possibly go wrong? 🙄

Regards

Martin

• Like 11

9 hours ago, stevej60 said:

... this may be the kit I regret not building for this GB, Well there's always Frog squad 2!

.. and another month to go until this one wraps up? 

• Like 2

On 8/20/2019 at 12:05 AM, mike romeo said:

I've actually got a rather expensive airbrush and compressor in the loft - where it's been for about 15 years.  Will probably drag it out when I have a proper modelling room sorted, probably about the same time hell freezes over .

That sounds a little like me and my Badger 150.  I bought it in the Streatham Milslides about 1988/89.  It's had one outing since, and that was a test.  I wonder what state the seals are in now.

• Like 1