+++ Finished! +++ Another Hornet. Kit # F239

mike romeo

Hi folks,

Our esteemed GB fuhrer, aka @Rabbit Leader, has persuaded me to add a build here.  I am going to try to update the FROG DH Hornet F3 and correct a few of the things that bug me about the kit. 

Masochism?  Yes, but I'll consider it a small price to pay if, by annoying the modelling gods, they nudge Airfix to do an accurate new tool Hornet, with @David A Collins as technical consultant.

So, what might I do?  Well, reduce the thickness of the wings, improve the outline of the fin and rudder, gash up some cockpit gizmology, improve the canopy shape, and make the nose a little less blunt.  We'll see how this goes; it's not a full-on accurising job, but if I do it right, it should look more like a Hornet.  Of course the existing kit also looks like a Hornet oob, so I may be onto a hiding for nothing!

More when I've gathered some bits n bobs and worked out how to post pics after the PB debacle.

Regards

Martin

• Like 10

Hi Martin,

Are you OK for decals - I have the odd set of Frog Hornet ones which should work. If interested send me a PM.

3 hours ago, mike romeo said:

Our esteemed GB fuhrer, aka @Rabbit Leader,

Funnily enough, I've been called worse!! Glad you've taken the plunge to sink your teeth into this kit kit as I'm sure we will all take something positive out of it when we decide to tackle ours. 

Wishing you the best of luck and enjoyment as this GB progresses. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Well done Martin

If you wanted a Hornet years ago this was the only option, it's always great to see these being built and I will be very interested to see what you have planned for it.

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PeterB said:

Are you OK for decals - I have the odd set of Frog Hornet ones which should work.

Thanks, Peter, but the ones in the box look ok.  I'm planning to do the 41 Sqn intruder scheme.

Regards

Martin

Hi folks,

I have got some reference together, which has thrown up some interesting results.  I have also ordered a donor kit from Kingkit, so work will start when this arrives.

In the meantime, I will work out how to post pics again.

Regards

Martin

I have started - honest - and have taken some pics, but have fallen at the first hurdle in getting the pics hosted on Flickr; seems I can't even work out how to register as a user!  Sigh.  Never mind, I'll sort it and get them posted when I can.

• Like 1

Still can't register with Flickr, maybe something to do with my phone.

Slow progress is being made. I've:

Chopped off fin and fillet

Ground off cockpit interior and applied a smear of filler to the cockpit sidewalls.  This evening, I inserted a cockpit floor from plastic sheey into one fuselage half.  When that's dry, I'll cut it to fit then build the rest of the cockpit structure on it.

I have removed the blank radiator grills from the leading edges and have enlarged the inlet somewhat in both length and depth.  I will reposition the to-be scratchbuilt radiators further aft and open up the outlets.

The upper wing halves have had filler added inside the leading edges in case I go through the plastic when correcting the wing cross-section.  I have also added plastic sheet backing to the gap in the nacelle sides for the exhausts so I can add them after the wings are assembled.

Next I plan to build up the cockpit structure from sheet and strip styrene, sort out the radiators and work out whether I bother to do anything with the gear bays prior to joining the wing halves and correcting the wing cross section.

I'll keep taking pics so that if I work out how to post pics, I have something to show.  Until then, though, it's a radio build.

Regards

Martin

• Like 2

Oh and I've also sourced a new fin (Airfix Mossie), removed the halves from the fuse and joined them, and glued together  laminations of plastic sheet in the shape of the fin fillet, hopefully of a more sensible width.  I now need to cut down the fin height appropriately and work out how I'm going to join fillet and fin neatly.

Regards

Martin

2019-07-03_10-16-02

Wow!  Can I post now?  Looks like it.  I ground off the moulded in detail.

2019-07-03_10-14-54

And here's my references and what I'm using.  The better printed of the decal sheets is a bit yellowed.  These have now been taped to the window to bleach a bit.

More soon.

Regards

Martin

• Like 4

2019-07-03_10-13-42

Smeared filler in the cockpit area and forward part of the wing.

2019-07-03_10-15-41

Opened out the radiators.  I need to detail these areas in due course.

2019-07-03_10-15-19

Cut off the fin and rudder from the fuse halves.

Regards

Martin

• Like 3

2019-07-03_10-12-18

Here is the Airfix Mossie fin and rudder, and I've started the fillet, made from lamination of plastic card.

2019-07-03_10-11-06

And started detailing the cockpit.

Regards

Martin

• Like 6

Last post for me tonight:

2019-07-03_10-45-30

I got a bit carried away in cutting the fin to size, so I added some plastic card to the base.  I have started shaping the edge of the fin fillet, and taken the front of the fin off.  I'll have to fair in the fillet with filler in due course.

2019-07-03_10-45-11

And some more work on the cockpit.  This won't be an Adrian class job, but hopefully will look ok when painted.

Regards

Martin

• Like 10

Great to finally see some photos of this conversion Martin. She is certainly needing a lot of work, although as they say it will be all the better for it in the end. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Great to finally see some photos of this conversion Martin. She is certainly needing a lot of work, although as they say it will be all the better for it in the end. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks, Dave.

Flickr now appears to be cooperating. 

I'm not convinced the old Froggie needs this level of titivation.  We'll see whether any of it is noticeable when finished.

Regards

Martin

• Like 1

Some nice work there so far. 

Few tips

DO NOT under any circumstances trust the Warpaint Ian Huntley plans.  They've been drawn from inaccurate information and are chock full of errors.  I'm sure David Collins will back me up on this and tell you what they are.  The windscreen is one that springs to mind.

A Hunter canopy might be a good replacement - Pavla do a detail set that includes a vacform one.  It's certainly better than the kit one.

Tempest wheels are good replacements for the Frog wheels, even though the latter are reasonable.  A Vampire nosegear will replace the kit tailwheel.

Looking forward to seeing the finial results.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Wooksta! said:

Some nice work there so far. 

Few tips

DO NOT under any circumstances trust the Warpaint Ian Huntley plans.  They've been drawn from inaccurate information and are chock full of errors.  I'm sure David Collins will back me up on this and tell you what they are.  The windscreen is one that springs to mind.

A Hunter canopy might be a good replacement - Pavla do a detail set that includes a vacform one.  It's certainly better than the kit one.

Tempest wheels are good replacements for the Frog wheels, even though the latter are reasonable.  A Vampire nosegear will replace the kit tailwheel.

Looking forward to seeing the finial results.

Thanks, Lee.  

We've corresponded in the FROG Hornet before.  In fact, I'm sure it was you who suggested using an Airfix Mossie fin.  

If you look at the first post of mine with pics above, you'll see the references I'm using.

Re the  windscreen, I had idly thought of cutting 3 bits of clear plastic packaging  to form it.  All of the windscreen panels are flat, and only the windscreen bottom has a curved edge.

Regards

Martin

• Like 1

Well, I promised cockpit gizmology, and that's what I'm going to deliver!

2019-07-07_08-30-09

2019-07-07_08-30-45

So, an extreme close up of a Matchbox Me262 nosegear leg, midway through being repurposed as a control stick.  The black is sprue soup, which I'm going to carve down closer to the actual shape and size once it's gone off.

Then a bit of representative sidewall action and we may be ready for a scoosh of primer.

Regards

Martin

• Like 8

Making blistering progress on the Hornet.  Still, after numerous life distractions, I managed to get some paint on the various cockpit bits.

I then took photos on a white background and that has washed out any visible detail.  Soz.

2019-07-13_09-15-32

Hope to get the fuse joined, start on external fuse reshaping, and get fin and fillet on this weekend.  We'll see.

• Like 4

OK, I daubed some paint on the control column and added it, and the IP, then got the fuse halves joined.  That's the first FROG on FROG glue action complete!

Then, after a cursory seam rub down, I used the outline of the nose as template to roughly cut a former for the new nose contour thus:

2019-07-13_11-07-27

Note the outer profile has deliberately been cut too large so I can sand it back when installed.  And here it is attached  with a couple of supports:

2019-07-13_11-06-26

And here is a fuse side profile with the fin (with filler applied) and fillet in roughly the correct position:

2019-07-13_11-05-47

I'll let the nose former set up overnight, then sand it down tomorrow and try to build up the nose contour with filler.

If that goes ok, I may go mad and try to sand then rescribe the fin and try to attach the fin and fillet.

I then need to build up the tail cone a bit with filler, but when that's all done, the fuse is essentially finished for the moment and I'll move onto the wings.

Regards

Martin

• Like 7

Interesting way of going about this Martin. Good reference pics to take notes. I quite fancy this type of modelling every now and again, it’s good for the mental juices to kick in and think outside the box. 

Cheers.. Dave