Attack on Pegasus Bridge - 1:35

Hi all, starting a new 1:35 diorama based on Pegasus Bridge. It will be done on a board approx. 750mm x 285mm 

Has anyone modelled the actual bridge before in 1:35 ?

I'll be updating this topic as I progress through the build

• Like 2

Olly,

the first 3 are a 1/35 model I took from the Pegasus bridge museum, the others are from the actual bridge now across the road in the museum.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4

Nice photos Ozzy! I saw Pegasus bridge just a month after it was removed and replaced by the newer bridge. While I was there, the French were getting a lot of stick for "dumping" the bridge in the field. If this was the long term plan, then good on them! It looks fantastic in it's new surroundings and very nicely displayed. A fitting memorial. 

Olly_5. Good luck with the project. I'll tag along for the journey!

Steve

• Like 2

6 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Nice photos Ozzy! I saw Pegasus bridge just a month after it was removed and replaced by the newer bridge. While I was there, the French were getting a lot of stick for "dumping" the bridge in the field. If this was the long term plan, then good on them! It looks fantastic in it's new surroundings and very nicely displayed. A fitting memorial. 

Olly_5. Good luck with the project. I'll tag along for the journey!

Steve

Someone I know had said that the bridge was going to middle wallop some years ago, the Army Air Corp were going to use it as a foot bridge across the road. Apparently it was the counter weight that stopped it coming to the UK, its definitely in the right place there is a nice under cover museum and a Glider in the grounds also.

• Like 1

The Museum of Army Flying did indeed look into acquiring the bridge as the French authorities were just going to scrap it. The Isle of Wight also looked at getting it for a river crossing in Cowes. However with all the english interest in what the French considered to be just another old bridge, they, true to form, decided to keep it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Someone I know had said that the bridge was going to middle wallop some years ago, the Army Air Corp were going to use it as a foot bridge across the road. Apparently it was the counter weight that stopped it coming to the UK, its definitely in the right place there is a nice under cover museum and a Glider in the grounds also.

Yes! I seem to remember reading that somewhere at the time. I'm long overdue for another visit, and the wife has expressed an interest in going. I've been twice now, I think the first time was 1998 when we arrived in Cherbourg at 6:30 am on June 6th. Whilst there we got "adopted" by the Surrey branch of the NVA, and they invited us along with them on their reunion there the following year. That was so memorable to be able to spend the week with those guys in Normandy. Peter Thompson was the Chairman of the Surrey branch then. I saw him on the TV during the 70th anniversary celebrations and the BBC said he was by then the national chairman of the NVA. I believe he passed away in 2017. Heard some stories that week, and once in the cafes in the evening, they were all 19 and 20 years old again....as the waitresses found out! 🙂 Incidentally, two of the veterans in our party that year were at Pegasus bridge on the day. One was 6th Airborne, the other Ox and Bucks. They signed a book I bought there, I'll look it up as their names escape me at the moment.

39 minutes ago, Aeronut said:

The Museum of Army Flying did indeed look into acquiring the bridge as the French authorities were just going to scrap it. The Isle of Wight also looked at getting it for a river crossing in Cowes. However with all the english interest in what the French considered to be just another old bridge, they, true to form, decided to keep it.

Ah! So there was truth to the original intentions with the bridge. At least a positive outcome prevailed!

Steve

Edited by fightersweep
  • Like 3

image.jpg

I spy Airfix British Paratroops figures....

note poses of grenade thrower, standing and kneeling rieflemen

9618217690_b86285382a_b.jpg&key=27fd5351

the captain is is another shot too

Sorry for the digression.. hope of interest.

neat diorama idea, I foresee lots of Plastruct in your future ;) 

• Like 6

• 3 months later...
On ‎29‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 15:28, Stevejj said:

The first death on d day was reportedly on the bridge the soldiers name was Don Betheridge from the ox and bucks

Almost - Lt. Den Brotheridge, commander of 1st Platoon.

On 16/06/2019 at 20:21, Olly_5 said:

Hi all, starting a new 1:35 diorama based on Pegasus Bridge. It will be done on a board approx. 750mm x 285mm 

Has anyone modelled the actual bridge before in 1:35 ?

I'll be updating this topic as I progress through the build

I had a thought then looked at the bridge and realised it would be a hellish sized scratch build so decided against it. Hope you can figure it out as I'd love to see someone attempt it. 

looking at the period black and white photos you realise just how close the glider pilots got those gliders in to the bridge.  Right in there.  

It was one of the "most outstanding flying achievements of the war", said Air Chief Marshal Sir Trafford Leigh-Mallory as quoted from the Independent Newspaper article back in 2009

8 hours ago, Johnny Tip said:

Almost - Lt. Den Brotheridge, commander of 1st Platoon.

Ah memory not as good as I thought and Mr Ambrose's book not to hand so apologies all round

Steve

21 hours ago, Stevejj said:

Ah memory not as good as I thought and Mr Ambrose's book not to hand so apologies all round

Steve

No sweat👍🏼 I've read it probably too often😁

Master Box has a set of airborne troopers including a glider pilot - maybe worth a look? They're not fighting, though. 

Edited by Johnny Tip
Avoiding a double post

• 5 months later...

Hi all, 

I did 'shelve' this project (shoved under my bed!) for a while, but with all this free time I'm going to most likely restart it again. I'll begin in the coming weeks.

Thanks for all your input - I now need to assess where I'm at with it and the steps I need to take to complete the diorama...

• Like 4

Hi Olly,

I'm glad that you're thinking of re-starting this project, even if it's due to all the horrors going on out there. If nothing else, it will keep your mind off things and help you cope with being locked indoors for potentially, a long time.

Your project is going to be a long and difficult one anyway. I've found myself with two long projects, with neither one anywhere near completion, but I am moving along. So, may I offer some advice? Concentrate on the 'ground' first. Work out the 'lay' of the land, and the canal, and measure and mark it all out. Then make the banks, bank supports and bridge supports. Do your soil and add grass, obviously allowing space for the bridge itself.  Once that's all done, add the resin water. You'll have figures and maybe some vehicles as well, so do those next. The bridge itself should be the last thing you make.

I say this, because if you start by constructing the bridge, you may get so far and then give up. If you have everything ready for it, you'll be more likely to finish the bridge, no matter how difficult it gets. But, if it does prove too difficult, you could always make a far simpler bridge and plonk that in the diorama instead. No one would think any less of you because you've chosen a very complicated structure!

I hope that helps,

Stay safe and good luck

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Olly,

I'm glad that you're thinking of re-starting this project, even if it's due to all the horrors going on out there. If nothing else, it will keep your mind off things and help you cope with being locked indoors for potentially, a long time.

Your project is going to be a long and difficult one anyway. I've found myself with two long projects, with neither one anywhere near completion, but I am moving along. So, may I offer some advice? Concentrate on the 'ground' first. Work out the 'lay' of the land, and the canal, and measure and mark it all out. Then make the banks, bank supports and bridge supports. Do your soil and add grass, obviously allowing space for the bridge itself.  Once that's all done, add the resin water. You'll have figures and maybe some vehicles as well, so do those next. The bridge itself should be the last thing you make.

I say this, because if you start by constructing the bridge, you may get so far and then give up. If you have everything ready for it, you'll be more likely to finish the bridge, no matter how difficult it gets. But, if it does prove too difficult, you could always make a far simpler bridge and plonk that in the diorama instead. No one would think any less of you because you've chosen a very complicated structure!

I hope that helps,

Stay safe and good luck

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks so much for the advice! It's a rather big job, especially the bridge as you say. Hopefully I have everything I need as shops that sell the stuff are all closed...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Olly_5 said:

Thanks so much for the advice! It's a rather big job, especially the bridge as you say. Hopefully I have everything I need as shops that sell the stuff are all closed...

you'd have thought hobby shops and toy shops etc would be VITAL to people locked up indoors with their kids!!

• 2 weeks later...

OK - Here's the first update of the project. 

First, a bit of context. It's Pegasus Bridge in the early hours of June 6th 1944 - Operation Deadstick. 

I'm modelling the North-West side of the bridge (as it's the most complex I'm comfortable with going - I would never be able to make the East side!)

It's the side which the British paras were trying to get to, as seen in this photo their gliders landed on the other side. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

It may look a bit underwhelming and bad - but hopefully it will get better! 

spacer.png

This is the current challenge - making the fence. It's rather tedious! If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I'm working with only wooden sticks - they are the best option for me right now and the one in plentiful supply. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is what I've made so far - one 'panel'. I need to finish the edges off a bit, but other than that it wont change much. 

spacer.png

.....and the rest of the fence which will be built in due course. 

Also - the water is a placeholder. If anyone has any good techniques for realistic water I'd love to hear them ! I currently do not have access to any resin and probably won't considering current matters. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

Here are the figures and 'props' which I intend on using. I'll be updating them to a better standard when the time comes. 

I'll try and post an update when I can - hopefully daily - or there abouts. 

Thanks for all the support so far!

• Like 2

Nice start Olly, looking forward to the next instalment. As for convincing water without resin or other products, have you had a look in the maritime section? There's some nice builds and water without resin.