AMG 1/72nd Bf 109B-1

I had been wanting to get some early 109's for ages. Originally i had planned on getting the Avis kits. But when AMG brought out there's, i decided to opt for one of those. Decided to try the B-1 first.

spacer.png

Kits come with PE, mask and one small piece of resin, so this will be an OOB build. Started with the pit (of course) which has detail added to the side walls, and one small piece of PE.

spacer.png

spacer.png

After painting with Xtracolor, i used some flory wash and then added some light dry brushing.

spacer.png

Cockpit was fitted after adding PE seatbelts and decals for instruments.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Fuselage then went together and wings added. Fit is pretty nice.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The rear of the centre wing section needed a little sanding. And of course i over did it and had to fill a bit. The lower wing doesn't join the top along the back edge, but just ahead of the flaps. Buts its better than in the review i had read.

spacer.png

I rather like the molded on detail of the engine. I won't be having it open on this, but i do plan on getting some more of their early kits so will show it off on one of those.

spacer.png

Thats all for now. More soon.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry sroubos, i missed your post before. I don't believe so, according to scalemates these are new tooled kits.

Construction on the 109 was done by the middle of last week, just getting the 111 done and then i can paint. Fit has been good with one exception, the radiator. The rad itself fits onto the nose and then the 2 piece cover goes on. Even after the covers were thinned there was still a big gap. I clamped and used super glue and left it over night, there was still a gap but small enoug to fill.

The canopy masking was a bit tricky. The mask is similar to Montex, which i am not a fan of. And the canopy has next to no frameing so its tricky to figure out where to put the masks.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hopefully should be able to get some paint on before the weekend is out. Just need to remember to mask the pit and wheel wells.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I know its been a while, working on 2 at a time has slowed things down. But finally able to get some paint on. I like the look of the 109 in this scheme, makes a change to the motteling or the blue high up the sides.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

As you can see on the first pic above, the vinyl mask came away where the edge was on a curve in the canopy, just like the Montex masks. I am woundering if Eduard 109E masks would work on this, might have to try that. So i did need to clean up the canopy a bit with a polishing stick.

Then the decals went on, these went down very nice and i was pleased with the tail band, the red and white has gone down well over the dark paint.

It then got some exhaust streaks and a very light flory wash and a matt coat.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Really pleased with this kit. Ashide from the radiator cover and the masks, its been a joy to build. Will deffinetly be getting more, a Condor Legion C for starters.

Just a few final touches, landing lights, antenna cable etc and then i can add it to the base and sort out some figures.

• Like 3

Wrapped this one up by placing it on the base and adding a couple of figures. Another simple dio.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Really pleased with how its turned out, nice kit with some minor issues that are easy to over come. I can deffinetly recomend AMG and this won't be the last i do.

Nice to get some pre war subjects on the shelves. Most of my German aircraft and armour are mid to late war. Before this i had done 2 aircraft from 1940. And next up some armour from the Polish campaign.

Thanks for following along.

• Like 5