Sherman Vc 33rd Arm Brigade - 13/08/19 - Tank finished!

Very, very impressive progress Steve. It looks great with the paint on - including the tools and the figures! Super job! :clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Thanks all fro the comments and encouragement :winkgrin:

Managed to get the decals on the other day. These went on without too much bother. Used Micro Set and Sol to help them settle down. The Micro Set left some staining on the paintwork which will hopefully clear up once a sealing coat of gloss goes on. Either that I can cover them with weathering :hmmm:

Really pleased how well the decal on the stowage box went down with copious amounts of Micro Sol. Just had to nip a bit off so it would sit around the lid bracket.

A72avkJ.jpg

xxBAYT0.jpg

PZ7eCjR.jpg

QkUqodh.jpg

Had to tweak the location of the turret numbers a bit as I added the pistol port by mistake and this is where the number on that side of the turret should be! :doh:

Next up will be another coat of gloss once I've got some more X22 Clear and then time for some weathering. Also need to get the tracks painted in their base colours which may be either black/dark earth mix or Tamiya Dark Iron. 

Regards,

Steve

🇬🇧

Edited by fatfingers
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

How do chaps,

Managed to get another gloss coat over the decals all ready for some weathering to be done. Quite happy with how the decals and gloss coat have behaved. The 37 on the stowage box is standing proud a bit over the hinge so will need to sort that out! :hmmm:

NHriRmS.jpg

EggLLby.jpg

YiGZm1O.jpg

Fdu7tNg.jpg

Also happy the see that the staining caused by the Micro Set/Sol has gone too. :winkgrin:

Weathering next. Intend not to go too heavy with this but then again you never know!

Regards,

Steve

🇬🇧

• Like 7

How do chaps,

Weathering commenced! Gave the lower hull and running gear a liberal going over with Tamiya Earth Textured Paint. Once this had dried applied a bit of a wash from Games Workshop and then dry brushed it with some Vallejo Sand Yellow. This was also dry brushed over the upper hull. Bit old school I know, but I like the result :winkgrin:

kAywGYb.jpg

16pumwu.jpg

9EjRWYA.jpg

RuGMwaM.jpg

Qn0iCiv.jpg

The upper hull sides were also given a good going over with Mig Light Earth pigments to represent dust, which I think it does rather well. Running gear was also fitted at this point.

vCJNFfy.jpg

b017BSB.jpg

Sat the crew in the turret to see how it looked.

pikPfYE.jpg

Next started on the tracks. These had been sprayed in Mig Dark Tracks Paint a few days ago so the paint had plenty of time to dry. Mig Dark Earth Pigments were then blathered all over them. This was then 'fixed' with Mig Odourless Thinner. Messy job! 

y8OngbA.jpg

rxspz8z.jpg

The track treads were then gone over with a metallic pigment that was applied with a 'rubber' brush jobbie. Gave a nice metallic sheen without being too bright B)

A final going over with some more pigments on the lower hull and then the tracks were fitted. These took a bit of fettling to get right. More pigments were added to the upper hull to represent dust and some fuel spills were added round the filler caps.

LrW4T0j.jpg

h6hXOuX.jpg

OvDSmoG.jpg

vQQnrWa.jpg

XFzk94F.jpg

j4E6RfG.jpg

zkcyzoD.jpg

AGPbN2S.jpg

yMXrBT7.jpg

JdiOvgP.jpg

Well that's the tank just about done. In two minds about matting it down as I don't want to lose the effect of the pigments. The pigments have helped to take the shine off the finish so might not bother :hmmm:

Now need to sort out a suitable base and add the figures. Have a plaster cobbled street section that I might use or I may go with my old favourite the grass mat!

More to follow soon and thanks for dropping by.

Regards,

Steve

🇬🇧

• Like 12

Yeah, it's a drag to matte coat only to wash out some nice weathering like the dust you've done. Maybe just brushing on matte varnish where you want it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Fantastic progress Steve! Hope you manage to sort a finish out to your satisfaction.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix.

Hope your well. Ive decided not to bother matting as the pigments have really knocked any shine off the finish. Been fettling with a base this afternoon so will post up some pics later in the week.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

On 8/19/2019 at 10:04 AM, Lawzer said:

top drawer work there!! 👍

Thanks Lawzer. I assume from you avatar that you've recently lost a friend? If so you have my condolences :(

This is the base that the tank will be placed on. Its essentially a cheap picture frame with a piece of resin cobbled roadway cut to size and slotted in. This was sprayed with a black base coat and then dry brushed with Vallejo US Grey. Washes and pigments were the added to vary the tone a bit.

9ZssMs9.jpg

Pic of how the base came out after the washes and pigments.

dmjITVU.jpg

So this about wraps up the build and here are some detail shots and I'll post up 5 shots in the gallery for your perusal. 

TpJ3Xdv.jpg

D4hEzND.jpg

GQNO8cZ.jpg

xbKdEQL.jpg

4HV2HxK.jpg

CHIMQHq.jpg

93xU9NJ.jpg

qqQkPVw.jpg

OAKWEBX.jpg

gHy7nxh.jpg

8qowBZm.jpg

Really enjoyed doing this and i'm rather chuffed and surprised that I managed to get 2 models done for this GP. Thanked to the hosts and to everyone that stopped by to comment, suggest and encourage :like:

Regards,

Steve

🇬🇧

• Like 5

Just been checking this out in the Gallery Steve! Brilliant result! The finish you achieved looks fantastic! Very well done. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve, just found your build and read with interest,  (I'm doing a Dragon Firefly Vc too).

How did you find the AFV club tracks fitted?

Great work, thanks for sharing.

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2019 at 7:55 PM, Jasper dog said:

Hi Steve, just found your build and read with interest,  (I'm doing a Dragon Firefly Vc too).

How did you find the AFV club tracks fitted?

Great work, thanks for sharing.

Darryl 

Thanks Darryl,

I found the tracks were a smidge tight when fitting. Best way I found to fit them was to leave off the sprocket and fit the tracks around the idler and bogies and then put the sprocket in. A dab of super glue was then added to the track skids as the top run stands a little proud of them. Once on they look OK though.

Regards,

Steve

• Thanks 1

Hi Steve, thanks for the tip re the afv club tracks, I'll keep that in mind when I get around to fitting. 

As long as they fit/can be made to I'll be happy, life's to short for the dragon supplied multipart affairs!

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 1